NACC

Started by LM3, September 13, 2017, 01:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM3

It has been a few weeks since I last updated, and of course there have been many ups and downs in the NAAC.

Concordia Wisconsin (8-1) would seem extremely lkely to hold on for the regular season championship, needing a win or draw vs. Rockford on Wednesday.

Dominican (8-2), after recently losing to (semi surging) Aurora and a fiesty Concordia Chicago, they righted the ship yesterday with a 4-2 victory over Edgewood to secure the second spot in the league -- in position for a first round bye in the NACC tourney, and the possibility of a league chamionship, should UCW falter.

Benedictine (7-2) is locked into third place regardless of their result over Wisc. Lutheren on Wednesday, as they hold the head to head tie breaker v Aurora, and are on the wrong side of that v. Dominican and UCW. BenU has strung together 5 straight wins, including victories v (5-1) Aurora and (3-1) @MSOE, and seem to be playing their best right now. Goal and point leader Nick Kapetanos was banged up in the last match, but they look for him to return by Saturday.

Aurora (6-3) -- winners of 5 of their last six, their one loss in that stretch was to Ben U.  Aurora in the 6 team playoff field, but could finish anywhere between 4th and 6th seed. UCC remains on their schedule and Aurora holds the tie breaker v. Marian and MSOE, but not Edgewood. With a Wednesday win, they will host a Saturday match.

Edgewood (5-4) -- hosts Marian on Wednesday and would grab a spot with a victory or draw. A loss would likely eliminate them from the post season. They own the tie breaker v Aurora, but not MSOE.

MSOE (5-4) -- Lost three in a row to good squads -- UCW, Benedictine and Aurora. They have win-less Lakeland on Wednesday, so look likely to still secure a spot.

Marian (4-5) -- could still find their way in with a win vs. Edgewood.

Having seen most of these teams play in the past few weeks, I'd say it is nice to have a bye, because there is plenty of possibility for upset in this group. Though UWC has been the most consistent throughout, I would not be at all surprised to see Dominican, BenU or Aurora emerge the eventual winner. Who can get hot for 2 or 3 games? Should be interesting to watch!

LM3

Even off the first round bye, Dominican might be a bit hampered by the absence of Senior Daniel Ortega (big piece in their defense), who was sent off with a double yellow in their last match. Dominican recently cancelled a scheduled Wednesday game with Lake Forest, so Ortega will be suspended for the league Semi-Final.

LM3

Concordia Wisconsin took home the league crown with a drama free victory over Rockford. Dominican and Benedictine both finish 8-2, but the Stars receive the first round bye that goes with the 2nd seed.

BenU will host Marian who defeated Edgewood last night to get into the playoffs...Aurora will host the #5 seed MSOE -- both kick off at 7pm on Saturday.

After watching these teams this season it would be unsurprising to see any of the Top 4 seeds advance to receive the Automatic Bid. Dominican still strikes me as most complete, but BenU does look as if they are finally putting it together with a very talented roster -- we shall see.

casualfan

I wonder the reason for the Dominican-Lake Forest cancellation? Hurts DU for sure in their semifinal bid.

After seeing a few squads live and almost all via online streams, I'll go with this as my NACC Tourney quarter-final predictions.

#6 Marian @ #3 Benedictine - In a rematch of a recent, feisty 1-0 win for BenU, I see the Eagles coming out strong on their home turf looking to repeat as Conference Tournament champions. Marian hasn't made a NACC tourney appearance since 2010 so none of their players are experienced in postseason play while BenU made the run to the NCAA Sweet 16. BenU cruises to a 2-0 victory.

#5 MSOE @ #4 Aurora - Aurora takes this one 3-1 I think unless Braden Andryk can carry MSOE. The Raiders have been quite average this season in my opinion and Aurora is playing well at the moment.

LM3

Quote from: casualfan on October 26, 2017, 04:08:47 PM
I wonder the reason for the Dominican-Lake Forest cancellation? Hurts DU for sure in their semifinal bid.

After seeing a few squads live and almost all via online streams, I'll go with this as my NACC Tourney quarter-final predictions.

#6 Marian @ #3 Benedictine - In a rematch of a recent, feisty 1-0 win for BenU, I see the Eagles coming out strong on their home turf looking to repeat as Conference Tournament champions. Marian hasn't made a NACC tourney appearance since 2010 so none of their players are experienced in postseason play while BenU made the run to the NCAA Sweet 16. BenU cruises to a 2-0 victory.

#5 MSOE @ #4 Aurora - Aurora takes this one 3-1 I think unless Braden Andryk can carry MSOE. The Raiders have been quite average this season in my opinion and Aurora is playing well at the moment.

Those were not bad predictions casualfan...certainly what would have been "expected"...but when the dust cleared, BenU seemed incredibly fortunate to get a 3-1 victory, and MSOE went on the road and pulled off the upset over Aurora.

The BenU/Marian match was flat out crazy. Benedictine was playing a man down for most all the second half, after Center Back Hugo Gomez picked up his second yellow of the match (thought it was a reasonable call). In the 66th minute, Marian GK Chacon and BenU Forward Lukas Sulka both received straight red cards for borderline fighting, and what amounted to full blown lack of maturity and control. Now playing 10 v 9, with 22 to go, Marain scored after a header/deflection  found its way to an unmarked Sabre (Rodriguez) at the edge of the box - solid shot.  Minutes later, Alonso Fragoso (league's leading goal scorer) who had made a night of hurling himself to the pitch and/or folding up at any contact, navigated his way through the defense and forced a challenge that seemed to be a legit foul. He took the PK, but was turned away by Keeper Marti Polo, shifting some hope BenU's way.  Ben U took advantage of the moment and the back up keeper, with three goals (Stammer x2, Kapetanos) scored between the 81st and 85th minutes...it was an amazing change of fortunes, and a somewhat unbelievable result.
It was a physical, chippy, and often petty match that had fans from both camps alternatively seething and raucously celebrating. BenU was lucky, and will be missing 2 starters vs Dominican, but strangely, I think they have the talent and depth to make it a good game.

I have seen Aurora look both good and bad this season, and though MSOE has size and talent, I am stiil surprised at the result. I have not seen the video of the match, so I have no real comment on the match, other what has been chronicled in the recap. Concordia Wisconsin would seem to be a big favorite on Tuesday, but even if unlikely, another upset is not out of the realm of possibility.

I cannot say I love the 1pm and 2pm statrt time on the the Tuesday semi-finals, but so it goes...

LM3

BenU came back to tie the match at 1-1 after an early Dominican score...Eagles with the better of the play (including 5-1 SOG advantage). That said, Dominican had a few opportunities...I am guessing the winner is going to need 3 goals. We'll see...

Concordia Wisc and MSOE just kicking off.

LM3

Dominican wins the league Tourney defeating MSOE 2-1.
Hard to see any other team making the NCAA field, but Benedictine at least gets a mention with #5 Regional rank. All the teams ahead of them are locks/already in (Chicago, North Park, Calvin, and Dominican).

LM3

The only NACC tourney team ,Dominican, fell to Capital 2-1 in the final minute of the second overtime period. Credit Capital for getting the job done, but the Stars had a number of good scoring chances they failed to convert. So it goes...