MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: GoPerry on December 11, 2018, 01:18:33 PM
Quote from: mwunder on December 11, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on December 10, 2018, 08:15:59 PM
New poll:  IWU falls to #15 (better than I feared)

I hesitate to post this because I know that after I do IWU will go on a 15 game win streak or something similar, but here goes.  Is it possible that IWU isn't as good as everyone "thinks" they are?  They've won games this season against teams that are a combined 24-27.  They struggled against an underwhelming Carthage team at home to open the CCIW.  They then choked away a win against Wheaton at home with a senior laden line-up that is supposed to get games like that.  A loss to Augie on the road is certainly excusable. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I believe that this team has underachieved through the first third of it's schedule.  I don't see them being in the top 2 in conference when the dust clears.  It's quite possible that they don't make it to the conference tournament if they continue to play like they are playing in December.

IWU line from the Wheaton game:   FG 27-56 48.2%, 3PT 14-22 63.6%, Ft 20-24 83.3% , Rebs 31-31 even

I'm not a Titan fan or defender.  But that line doesn't strike me as underachieving (or choking for that matter).  That performance beats most top 25 teams on any night.  Wheaton shot 54% and 48%. 

Both teams played so well that a single mistake at the wrong time was magnified and enabled a game winning shot at the buzzer by the country's scoring leader.

Is that our cue to talk about the end of the game again?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

USee

I'd be shocked if IWU wasn't in the mix for hosting the CCIW tourney come February. Brady Rose is healing from a back injury and the Titans lost to a top 10 Augie squad on the road. I think they will be just fine.

WUPHF

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 11, 2018, 01:23:22 PM

You can only hit the applause button once every 24 hours so I had to look for something more powerful. +30

Drake Palmer

Quote from: WUPHF on December 11, 2018, 02:04:48 PM

You can only hit the applause button once every 24 hours so I had to look for something more powerful. +30

Nice, I was doing a little smirking and laughing myself when I came across Greek's post.  :D

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

voxelmhurst

Quote from: BobbyO on December 11, 2018, 12:23:03 PM
IWU is still putting it all together.  Augie needs consistency and a killer attitude.  Wheaton needs to work around defenses that shut Francis down.  North Central still hasn't shown me that they can win the big one. North Park scares the hell out of me.  Elmhurst are they for real? Millikin still can upset.  Cathage, Bosko needs to kick some Butt! I don't want to play Carroll at their home late in the season.  Welcome to the CCiW.  Anybody have a thought on who is going to pull this one out?

I think we found the missing verse to "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".  :D

In all seriousness, to address 1/9th of your statement "Elmhurst are they for real?"  As the (seemingly) lone Elmhurst fan on here currently, I don't think they've done enough to merit asking this question just yet. Their 4-3 record is quite accurate for their performance. They had two great seasons 3 and 4 years ago, followed by the expected drop after graduating basically their entire team. They're now in the crawl back phase, which can take a few years and then some. I think Rhode is outstanding and look forward to him leading the Jays to a few postseasons in the coming years. They have several other very good players who can score on any given night, but consistency has been a problem in the last 2 seasons. I liked how Elmhurst played in 2 CCIW road wins last week. The indicator as to whether this year will be different from last is if Elmhurst starts winning some games against the perennial contenders in the CCIW.

Gregory Sager

I hesitate to post this because I know that after I do IWU will go on a 15 game win streak or something similar, but here goes.  Is it possible that IWU isn't as good as everyone "thinks" they are?  They've won games this season against teams that are a combined 24-27.  They struggled against an underwhelming Carthage team at home to open the CCIW.  They then choked away a win against Wheaton at home with a senior laden line-up that is supposed to get games like that.  A loss to Augie on the road is certainly excusable. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I believe that this team has underachieved through the first third of it's schedule.  I don't see them being in the top 2 in conference when the dust clears.  It's quite possible that they don't make it to the conference tournament if they continue to play like they are playing in December.

I'm not sure who the "everyone" is to whom you refer, since most of what we've heard about Illinois Wesleyan has come from three sources: the CCIW coaches, who picked IWU second -- but a fairly distant second -- in the preseason poll; the d3hoops.com pollsters, whose passive voice via the poll has been very positive to date, spotting the Titans as high as 8th at one point thus far this season; and the Titans fans among the regulars on this board, who have hyped the Titans with plenty of zest this season. As for the rest of us ... well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I think that the coaches more or less got it right. I think that the team in green is a clear CCIW #2, but that there's some definite separation between the Boy Beauties from Bloomington and Augie, which is on my short list of top national contenders to cart home the Big Doorstop from Fort Wayne next March.

I'm still pretty convinced that IWU will finish in the upper third of the CCIW, regardless of its 1-2 start in the conference slate. And the idea that Wesleyan won't make the conference tourney seems to me to be rather silly, since this year the tourney's been expanded from four teams to six. Ron Rose could probably lose a couple of guys from his rotation and still manage to finish no worse than sixth.

IWU line from the Wheaton game:   FG 27-56 48.2%, 3PT 14-22 63.6%, Ft 20-24 83.3% , Rebs 31-31 even

I'm not a Titan fan or defender.  But that line doesn't strike me as underachieving (or choking for that matter).  That performance beats most top 25 teams on any night.  Wheaton shot 54% and 48%. 

Both teams played so well that a single mistake at the wrong time was magnified and enabled a game winning shot at the buzzer by the country's scoring leader.

Quote from: WUPHF on December 11, 2018, 02:04:48 PM

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Since you cued it up ....I would rather write about the other 39 minutes and 52 seconds ...In short, a very well played and entertaining game ——NCAA type tournament game as the lines show.  As was the IWU vs Augie game.  Two contests in which IMHO either team could have won.

IWU will improve just making a little too many mistakes..IWU needs to value the ball more and needs to be stronger under the basket on both ends of the court.  However, I disagree with Ryan that it is a matter of "trust".   It is more a matter of timing and execution.

Ranking - Sager has it right above. 

Wheaton - I did not see 'four guys standing around watching one guy shoot' as  in some previous posts from other Wheaton games. What I saw was a potentially dangerous team- four guys working to make themselves available, setting picks, cutting to the hoop and then doing something with the ball when they got it.  I saw one guy distributing the ball to a teammate with a better look, working without the ball, cutting to the hoop, fighting for rebounds and making big shots - in short, the qualities of a good ball player rather than a shooter or gunner.

iwu70

I think GoPerry and Greg have the Titans pegged about right.  Without a few key TOs at inopportune times, IWU could be 9-0 not 7-2.  They are playing well, but surely could improve in some areas.  Rose is not completely healthy and the Titan bigs need to play better, stronger in the paint, in finishing.  IWU still has a very talented deep squad and can play with about anyone on any given night.  Trey shooting always a key for a perimeter oriented-scoring team like IWU.   The two games out West, against two top 10 opponents, will be telling in my view.  If the Titans enter January with only 2 or 3 losses, that would be a pretty good positive run in the early half of the season or so.  Then the long grind in the CCIW race.  Lots of good teams out there and plenty of challenges winning road games in the CCIW on about any night, as we have seen already this season.   Augie still the favorite, with plenty of teams challenging for the top six, the CCIW tournament spots.

Of course, Titan fans would love to see IWU enter January with a 11-2 record.  Stay tuned.

IWU'70

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 11, 2018, 09:59:17 PM

I'm still pretty convinced that IWU will finish in the upper third of the CCIW, regardless of its 1-2 start in the conference slate. And the idea that Wesleyan won't make the conference tourney seems to me to be rather silly, since this year the tourney's been expanded from four teams to six. Ron Rose could probably lose a couple of guys from his rotation and still manage to finish no worse than sixth.

DOOOHHHH!  I forgot about expansion of the tourney!  I retract my statement.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on December 12, 2018, 02:28:55 AM
I think GoPerry and Greg have the Titans pegged about right.  Without a few key TOs at inopportune times, IWU could be 9-0 not 7-2.

Whoa, easy there, tiger. They could be 4-5, not 7-2, too. Don't forget that your boys held only a one-possession lead in the final minute against both Calvin and winless Alma, and that Carthage took them to overtime in Shirk.

Hype has its limits. If you're going to start counting ghost wins, you've got to consider ghost losses as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Starting next academic year, the CCIW will add men's volleyball as a sponsored sport. There are currently three CCIW schools that have ongoing varsity men's volleyball programs: Carthage (est. 2005), North Central (est. 2016), and Augustana (started last season). North Park will play its inaugural season of men's volleyball starting next month (it's a January-April sport), and Millikin will begin play in January 2020.

In order to get up to the seven members required for an NCAA tourney autobid, the CCIW is adding two more associate members for men's volleyball only, Loras (est. 2015) and Greenville (est. 2016). Loras and Greenville thus become the CCIW's seventh and eighth associate members overall, joining Chicago (women's lacrosse), Concordia WI (wrestling), Dubuque (men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse), Lakeland (wrestling), MSOE (wrestling), and Wash U (football).

Pretty cool.

WUPHF

Gregory Sager

I had some misgivings about NPU adding the sport, given that, of the eight sports for which I already do play-by-play, women's volleyball is by far the most difficult to call. But when I shared my trepidation with North Park's new head men's volleyball coach about calling his team's matches, he assured me that calling men's volleyball is much easier than calling women's volleyball. That's because there typically aren't long volleys in the men's version like there are in women's volleyball -- men are too tall, jump too high, and are too powerful, so points tend to be scored pretty quickly.

Does Jay call women's volleyball for Wash U?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 12, 2018, 12:30:15 PM
I had some misgivings about NPU adding the sport, given that, of the eight sports for which I already do play-by-play, women's volleyball is by far the most difficult to call. But when I shared my trepidation with North Park's new head men's volleyball coach about calling his team's matches, he assured me that calling men's volleyball is much easier than calling women's volleyball. That's because there typically aren't long volleys in the men's version like there are in women's volleyball -- men are too tall, jump too high, and are too powerful, so points tend to be scored pretty quickly.

Does Jay call women's volleyball for Wash U?

Yeah, men's volleyball is not my favorite sport to watch for those reasons.  It seems to be a pretty fast growing sport, too, in terms of participation.  I assume because a lot of the infrastructure exists also having women's volleyball.  Since the seasons don't overlap, many schools are using it as a way to make what would otherwise be a part time coaching position full-time and hiring one coach for both teams.  Lots of win-wins there - although, yeah, it may not be as fan friendly.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 12, 2018, 12:30:15 PM
[...] he assured me that calling men's volleyball is much easier than calling women's volleyball. That's because there typically aren't long volleys in the men's version like there are in women's volleyball -- men are too tall, jump too high, and are too powerful, so points tend to be scored pretty quickly.

It is definitely a different sport.

You should go watch a match at Loyola next semester: https://loyolaramblers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mvball

Unfortunately, they no longer play in the old gym which may no longer exist.

I believe Washington University uses other announcers for Women's Volleyball with so many games overlapping with football and futbol.