FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schipper Strong

I have watched the number of softball games that have been canceled due to Covid and teams automatically advancing in the tournament. If this is happening in softball, it really looks nearly impossible with the numbers of players and way more contact in football. I think this might be the year to make that swap at all levels. Maybe we can get some leadership between now and then that will get us to where most industrialized countries already are with the virus. Sorry I did my best to try not to sound too political. ;)

Schipper Strong

Central lost their non conference opponents. First game countdown clock is set for the game at Wartburg. Both non conference games were to have been in Michigan.

BLynn

ARC opening weekend the big boys meet, (Central-Wartburg) similar to the Iowa NAIA's with Northwestern playing at Morningside.  Both should be Top 5, at least Top 10 to open the season. 
Lots of great small-college football in Iowa even with Grinnell dropping out this fall.

Schipper Strong

If we only get one game, it will be a doozy! Please guys protect your health, your season and lives depend on it!

OzJohnnie

Good to see fans in the stands for the Indycar race in Des Moines (Ok, the outter burbs).  I go back and forth but most of the time prefer Indy to NASCAR.  Indy has more numerous and more legit road course racing and feels like a more challenging circuit.  Although NASCAR super speedway racing is unmatched anywhere in terms of seat of the pants crazy.
[  

doolittledog

Quote from: OzJohnnie on July 17, 2020, 10:01:22 PM
Good to see fans in the stands for the Indycar race in Des Moines (Ok, the outter burbs).  I go back and forth but most of the time prefer Indy to NASCAR.  Indy has more numerous and more legit road course racing and feels like a more challenging circuit.  Although NASCAR super speedway racing is unmatched anywhere in terms of seat of the pants crazy.

Long time Indycar fan.  Started following F1 in college due to a Brazilian and British roommates.  I have been to 1 race at the Iowa Speedway, great place to view a race and for a small oval it was done well.  Love the mix of road/street/small oval/superspeedway combinations in Indycar. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

I saw earlier today on Twitter that only 28 D3 schools play on natural grass.

Dubuque installed turf in 2008 and replaced the original turf this summer with a rug.

For anyone out there, when did each of the ARC schools move to turf? 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Pat Coleman

After I tweeted that, I went through and double-checked every school I listed and found two more that are no longer grass, so we are down to 26 schools with grass fields.

https://www.d3football.com/teams/index
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 18, 2020, 01:12:11 PM
After I tweeted that, I went through and double-checked every school I listed and found two more that are no longer grass, so we are down to 26 schools with grass fields.

Pat, in your opinion, do you think there will ever be a time when all of the DIII schools have turf fields? Just curious as to your thoughts, even though we all understand there are several factors that each school had to consider within their own specific situations.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Quote from: formerd3db on July 18, 2020, 02:32:54 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 18, 2020, 01:12:11 PM

Pat, in your opinion, do you think there will ever be a time when all of the DIII schools have turf fields? Just curious as to your thoughts, even though we all understand there are several factors that each school had to consider within their own specific situations.

It's tough to say "never" as an absolute, but I would suspect not. At Redlands, for example, they take great pride in their grass and it is impeccably maintained. Many of the rest of the natural turf fields are in California, Texas, North Carolina. Some of them are off-campus facilities where the school doesn't have the authority to make changes. Others are schools which are not particularly well-funded. So I would assume we'll probably have a few ongoing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Thanks, Pat. Legit reasons for those schols, for sure.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

colts183

Assuming there is a season. What is everyone's ARC preseason poll?

doolittledog

Quote from: colts183 on July 19, 2020, 05:07:29 PM
Assuming there is a season. What is everyone's ARC preseason poll?

Welcome colts183

Most fans on here will have reasons to say their favorite team is #1  ;D

With Wartburg being a defending champ (and they always reload, not rebuild) I will vote the Knights #1

Dubuque now holds the longest winning streak in the conference and was really playing well at the end last year.  They are my #2

Central as a defending co-champ and is always in the mix.  They are my #3

After that you get Coe, Simpson, and Loras fighting for the best of the rest.

And then you get BVU, Luther, and NWU trying to avoid the basement.  This is at least how I see it without looking at returning starters, big time transfers, coaching situation and all that.

1 - Wartburg
2 - Dubuque
3 - Central
4 - Coe
5 - Simpson
6 - Loras
7 - Luther
8 - NWU
9 - BVU

5 Words or Less

Schipper Strong

Central has been building for this year. A lot of talent in this senior class, starting at QB. If it were a normal season, I would put Central at the top with UD and Wartburg tied for second. Beyond that I agree with Doolittle's picks.

Given that the likelihood of playing is getting slimmer by the day, who knows. The numbers of players on the teams and the amount of contact in the sport have me rooting for flipping fall and spring sports. I don't think very many teams can get 5 games in this year. So whoever stays healthy the longest wins? How do you determine a conference champ? Some teams may never meet the best the league has to offer. In a lot of minds the week one matchup with Central and Wartburg will determine a bragging rights champion if nothing else.

Do any ARC teams still have non conference games scheduled?