MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

I haven't checked in here lately.  I'm a huge woman's lacrosse fan this time of year.  It's too bad the lax board has so little chatter.  Except for amh63 and myself no NESCAC presence whatsoever.  Very little participation from anyone really.  The NESCAC is THE ELITE conference in womens' lacrosse and not too shabby when it comes to the men as well.  Over 230 schools play women's lax and 8 NESCAC teams are presently among the Top 20.  Every year 2-3 NESCAC teams that don't even make the NCAA tourney are good enough to make the Sweet 16.  It's too bad so few appreciate these excellent athletes.

But I really did have a basketball point to make here.  I was among the recipients of the email from OG that Middhoops relayed to the board.  No surprise to anyone who knows OG that he would spring for a pair of athletic shoes for a kid with hoop dreams but no ready cash.  What you all missed from the email were the pix included.  Basketball in downtown-anywhere, Cameroon.  Truly pics of basketball anywhere.  Ken Burns makes the point in his Baseball documentary that the game is timeless.  OG's pictures convey the same.  The background is third world but all you see are kids playing basketball.  They would fit right in on any court anywhere.  Beautiful pictures that speak eloquently of sport's role in revealing to us our universal commonality . 

madzillagd

Easiest way is to have the pic posted somewhere else, then you just drop the URL here using the pic button. To get the pic posted somewhere else you can use a pic sharing site if you are posting a lot. If you are doing just one or two pics an easy trick is to just tweet out the pic and then grab the URL from the tweeted pic.

Pat Coleman

There's not a lot of room on the server for user-uploaded files. I'll see if there's anything I can clear to make room, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

nescac1

Lots of interesting coaching moves in D3 of late.  For those who haven't followed, the Cabrini coach left to take over the Mary Washington job -- apparently a controversial hire because the long time MWU coach was forced out (Mary Washington is the team that Williams beat in the Elite 8, and I can confidently say that he did a HECK of a coaching job this year as that team played with tremendous grit, poise, and determination, but simple wasn't in the class, talent-wise, of the other three teams in the Sectional).  Read more about it on the Top 25 board, including link to a news article in which the current players express displeasure with how the outgoing coach was treated. 

Also, Bob Walsh, the enormously successful long-time RIC coach has been named head coach of the University of Maine.  RIC has been a top squad in New England for a number of years, and I imagine this will really hurt the program.  Bob Walsh can definitely coach defense and I'm sure that Maine will not be fun to play going forward, as long as can recruit the kind of athletes he needs for his system to Maine, which will be no easy task. 

This is not 100 percent confirmed, but I believe that Michael Riopel (highlights below), an all-state player in Virginia, is headed to Amherst next year.  Looks like another big (6'5), skilled wing who may compete, along with the other (confirmed) incoming frosh, for the wide-open playing time at guard for next year's Jeffs squad.  No sure things at guard for Amherst, but with these two guys (assuming Riopel is indeed attending) plus rising sophomores Berman/Wright/Racy/Magana/Holding all coming back, the Jeffs at least have a lot of options to choose from for the very, very difficult task of replacing Toomey, Kalema, Killian and Gach on the perimeter.  PG is really the biggest question mark, as Amherst has a slew of big wings who can shoot the rock to choose from, including, I believe, Riopel.  Highlights below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwHOFiuo3k

jayhawk

Riopel is going to attend Amherst
Intriguing prospect who played point guard in high school, had growth spurt later in school

quicksilver

Riopel was all-state in Virginia but it was Division 3 of the Virginia independent school association. He averaged 19.6 PPG in his senior year.

grabtherim

Except to show a kid playing above the rim, highlight tapes like this are of almost no value to a coach or anyone trying to slot a player.  Too many parents wasting time and stupid money doing this.  Pick a game or better yet two or three to send to a coach.  No commentary on this player at all, but you would be better off watching him play a quality pick up game than 10 minutes of perfect passes, shots and stops.     

AmherstStudent05

Thanks for the info, nescac1. I find it at least somewhat amusing that you appear to be more plugged in to the Amherst hoops scene than I am!  Do you have news of other Lord Jeff recruits? News of a promising young pg would be particularly welcome if you don't mind. 

amh63

Thanks guys for the news!   Several comments as classes end at Amherst on Wednesday, exam period ahead...graduation at the end of the month.

The film of Amherst's latest recruit...during his junior year ... shows quick hands and ball handling skills regardless of the level of the high school conference.  Does show he can bring the ball up and can make an outside shot.  However, his outside shot is released waist high...not effective if he is guarded closely, IMO.  In any case, if he can play pg at the next level....it is his decision making , ball handling, view of the floor and of course his passing that will get him floor time....as a backup pg.  Not concerned with outside shots from him as Amherst has many candidates for the off guard.  Then there is defense to learn.
In truth, I am not concerned about the depth at the point guard position....it is Spring!  Come Fall, is when I see who shows up and who has worked on his game over the Summer., etc.  Just me..trying to figure out what my wife whats me to do in the yards...Spring planting!

Old Guy

I was impressed by Riopel and I realize the limitations of highlight film. Tall, skinny kid, who will probably fill out in college. Dunks easily. Certainly seems quick enough. Nice ambidexterity, appeared very natural going to his left and finished in traffic with his left hand. I wouldn't worry much about the release point on his shot: he has a quick release, and a pass first/shoot second pg gets mostly open outside shots. I'd be excited if he were in the Midd mix.

Who was the last legit 6'5" pg in NESCAC? (Nolan Thompson and Tim Edwards were listed at 6'4", but played mostly 2 guard, though were effective at the point bringing the ball up, and often guarded the other team's pg.)

madzillagd

Looks like Assistant Day put together some Mayer highlights.  I'm going to miss this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVU7bXnt6r0

30 for 30

Nice highlight film for the NESCAC leading scorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnNUgWUgLF4

NothingButNESCAC

Love being able to watch highlights especially players you might have only seen once or twice like Hart. This might be a reach, but isn't it a little bit of a risk to have such a long highlight film up? Seems like coaches and players can look at that and use it as scouting. I know they have access to film already, but putting all of Hart's highlights in one place seems like it's doing the work for them.

On the note of recruits, interview is up on the site with Middlebury's Nick Tarantino '18. Delves into his recruitment, different types of play in AAU and school leagues, and what he's excited about for next year. His high school highlight tape is also in the article.

http://nothingbutnescac.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/meet-forward-nick-tarantino-middlebury-18/

middhoops

Good find, NBN.  Plus K for you.