FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_mom

Quote from: Dr. Acula on October 19, 2019, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: mr_mom on October 19, 2019, 09:05:56 PM
It isn't reflected in the stats because they didn't all throw a pass, but didn't I hear the announcers say that MUC played four or five QBs today?  How "low" do you expect to go?

Six QB's took a snap today.  Fulford, Plunk, Moore, Keeney, Sturgill and Homol.

Thanks!
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

mr_mom

Results of Week #7 of the 2019 OAC Pick-Em have been posted.  NCF and D3Poster led the way with 11 points. one more than Kira & Jason's Dad who also made double-digits.  NCF bounces back into the overall lead.

Week #8 spreads will come out Monday night.
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

OzJohnnie

Hey, all. MUC57 has been missing from our board for a while. Does anyone know where he's at?
[  

OzJohnnie

I came looking for MUC57 and read a few of your comments about the UMU v CAP score. We've had our share of blowouts in the MIAC as well and have obviously discussed the consequences quite a bit lately. It almost ripped the whole conference apart a few months ago. The issue for us extended beyond football but football was the flashpoint.

I'll just add that in addition to a diminishing talent pool and increased competition for top athletes, we also discussed two other factors that may be driving this current crisis:

* The national competition with a playoff structure has created a "super conference" of schools willing to put big time, fully professional support into their football squads.  The big three, of course, and then about 10-12 others on the contention bubble.  The disparity between those who aim to compete nationally and those who aim to play a conference schedule is big and getting bigger fast.  The post-season has, I argue, created a new divide in d3 between a legacy paradigm of good natured amateur competition and the playoff-capable paradigm of d2-light.

* The higher-Ed financial bubble. Over $1.6 trillion in student debt is currently owed. Increasing numbers of people are taking on debt and then failing to graduate but are left with tends of thousands on debt which dogs them through the rest of their lives. At the same time, school costs continue to sky-rocket and increase the student debt burden. Schools are simply running out of "suckers" to take on that cost for a diminished return.  And although it has little to do with football directly, it does have many schools considering the appropriate investment in football and whether national competitiveness is a goal.  You can't compete nationally if you've gone bust, after all.

You can really see the disparity in the MIAC. The sophistication of the big three in terms of play capabilities and schemes on both sides of the ball has gone ballistic in the last ten years. There is a group of mid level teams working to develop the same capabilities (bar Concordia whose offense stays firmly rooted in 1974) but they have a long way to go just in terms of institutional capability before they get close to catching up. While the bottom tier is little more the most basic program with the most basic schemes.

Where will it lead?  Who knows?  But d3 won't be able to stay a division so dramatically divided and dividing further fast, I don't believe. At least not without a lot of close work with your conference partners to maintain a healthy and safe program where all schools can affordably attract kids willing to play.  And the bottom rungs don't have to deal with parents complaining about their kids being used as punching bags.

I think it's less the score and more the spirit which will be key. The "super teams" will need to bend over backwards so that the other 250 d3 don't get sick of them, or worse quit playing football.  And I think that's fair because while it's true that if you want ton win then work on getting better, it's also true that a small number of teams have developed capabilities and have attracted athletes far beyond anything that D3 saw even 15 years ago.  Everyone will have to work together through this moment or I reckon we'll see more of the UST outcomes elsewhere in the country (not speaking specifically about UMU or anyone else as I have no specific knowledge, just talking generally based on the tensions that recent trends have created).
[  

edward de vere

HScoach

^  I agree.  Landscape is definitely changing.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

bluestreak66

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 20, 2019, 08:37:57 PM
Hey, all. MUC57 has been missing from our board for a while. Does anyone know where he's at?
I've been wondering that too. Anyone see him at the game Saturday?
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

raiderpa

Quote from: OzJohnnie on October 20, 2019, 09:15:06 PM
I came looking for MUC57 and read a few of your comments about the UMU v CAP score. We've had our share of blowouts in the MIAC as well and have obviously discussed the consequences quite a bit lately. It almost ripped the whole conference apart a few months ago. The issue for us extended beyond football but football was the flashpoint.

I'll just add that in addition to a diminishing talent pool and increased competition for top athletes, we also discussed two other factors that may be driving this current crisis:

* The national competition with a playoff structure has created a "super conference" of schools willing to put big time, fully professional support into their football squads.  The big three, of course, and then about 10-12 others on the contention bubble.  The disparity between those who aim to compete nationally and those who aim to play a conference schedule is big and getting bigger fast.  The post-season has, I argue, created a new divide in d3 between a legacy paradigm of good natured amateur competition and the playoff-capable paradigm of d2-light.

* The higher-Ed financial bubble. Over $1.6 trillion in student debt is currently owed. Increasing numbers of people are taking on debt and then failing to graduate but are left with tends of thousands on debt which dogs them through the rest of their lives. At the same time, school costs continue to sky-rocket and increase the student debt burden. Schools are simply running out of "suckers" to take on that cost for a diminished return.  And although it has little to do with football directly, it does have many schools considering the appropriate investment in football and whether national competitiveness is a goal.  You can't compete nationally if you've gone bust, after all.

You can really see the disparity in the MIAC. The sophistication of the big three in terms of play capabilities and schemes on both sides of the ball has gone ballistic in the last ten years. There is a group of mid level teams working to develop the same capabilities (bar Concordia whose offense stays firmly rooted in 1974) but they have a long way to go just in terms of institutional capability before they get close to catching up. While the bottom tier is little more the most basic program with the most basic schemes.

Where will it lead?  Who knows?  But d3 won't be able to stay a division so dramatically divided and dividing further fast, I don't believe. At least not without a lot of close work with your conference partners to maintain a healthy and safe program where all schools can affordably attract kids willing to play.  And the bottom rungs don't have to deal with parents complaining about their kids being used as punching bags.

I think it's less the score and more the spirit which will be key. The "super teams" will need to bend over backwards so that the other 250 d3 don't get sick of them, or worse quit playing football.  And I think that's fair because while it's true that if you want ton win then work on getting better, it's also true that a small number of teams have developed capabilities and have attracted athletes far beyond anything that D3 saw even 15 years ago.  Everyone will have to work together through this moment or I reckon we'll see more of the UST outcomes elsewhere in the country (not speaking specifically about UMU or anyone else as I have no specific knowledge, just talking generally based on the tensions that recent trends have created).

Congratulations on your big win over STU.  I guess they are either not quite ready for DI, or you guys are really loaded. Any win over STU, by anyone, is applauded by most Mount fans.

jamtod

Quote from: raiderpa on October 21, 2019, 10:30:55 AM
Congratulations on your big win over STU.  I guess they are either not quite ready for DI, or you guys are really loaded. Any win over STU, by anyone, is applauded by most Mount fans.

St John's is really good, but extrapolating anything definitive about UST's ability to move up to D1 from a single game is a pretty absurd take, even for a Mount fan.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: bluestreak66 on October 21, 2019, 09:07:55 AM

It dawned on me when we didn't get a JV score from him yesterday that I hadn't seen a 57 post in a bit. 

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Dr. Acula on October 21, 2019, 01:22:42 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on October 21, 2019, 09:07:55 AM

It dawned on me when we didn't get a JV score from him yesterday that I hadn't seen a 57 post in a bit. 

Thanks for the responses.  If you hear anything or he comes back from his vacation, please make sure to send word over to the West.
[  

purple

For the second week in a row Mount Union quarterback D'Angelo Fulford has the nations highest quarterback rating.
For the third week in a row he leads DIII in passing efficiency.

HScoach

Quote from: purple on October 21, 2019, 06:56:37 PM
For the second week in a row Mount Union quarterback D'Angelo Fulford has the nations highest quarterback rating.

And for what seems like the bazillionth week in a row, Purple has a borderline creepy man crush on D'Angelo Fulford
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

bleedpurple

Quote from: HScoach on October 21, 2019, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: purple on October 21, 2019, 06:56:37 PM

And for what seems like the bazillionth week in a row, Purple has a borderline creepy man crush on D'Angelo Fulford

Ok, that made me laugh. Thank you!

gizzmo13

will St Thomas offer scholarships or will they be like a Butler or something?