FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88

Quote from: Scots13 on August 14, 2018, 09:23:11 AM
We have some interesting Week 1 match ups in the USAC this year. Not many that are going to end favorably for the USAC or be an ESPN Instant Classic, but interesting nonetheless.

-Huntingdon @ Guilford. HC makes the trip this year. Surprised me a bit with last year's score and the way the season turned out for the Hawks and Quakers. It's hard to bet against Papa Turk. I think HC gets it done this year.

Remember that those first 2+ games we just weren't a good football team. We were very lucky to beat BSC then sometime in the middle of game 3 against NC Wesleyan the defense started coming together and making plays and got it turned around. Hopefully we can find that groove a little quicker this year. We do have a big question mark at linebacker as two starters from last year, Brandon Williams and Linell Tarver didn't come back. We have good experience back at most other positions so I think we will be okay if we can get LB taken care of. I'm eager to see how the QB race works out with the three different guys who got playing time last year. I assume we're scrimmaging Berry Saturday but haven't seen or heard anything so I'm not sure.

Scots13

Here's hoping you find the groove early then momentarily fall out of the groove on Oct. 6. ;D

I believe I stumbled across the incoming freshman QB that was mentioned in Kickoff. Trevor Thomas out of GA. Reminds me alot of Evan Pittenger.

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 14, 2018, 02:40:35 PM
Quote from: hasanova on August 13, 2018, 10:35:51 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on August 07, 2018, 10:14:08 PM
Huntingdon had over 140 report today including 76 returning players. Practice starts tomorrow.
Now I begin the process of refreshing the roster web page about a zillion times a day until the new one is posted. ;)

Go Hawks!
Hawks88, are you making the September 1 trip to Guilford?  Let me know your plans.
We're still coming. I've got a room booked but that is about as far as my planning has gotten right now.
Great.  PM me if you need anything.

Hawks88

Enjoyed the scrimmage against Berry last night. The defense showed some good things overall. There were a few breakdowns where we gave up long plays but I didn't see anything that can't be fixed over the next two weeks. I'm not as worried about linebacker as I was. Some of the returning guys looked good and a couple of the first year guys look like they can play.
Offensively the line looks strong and we know we have good receivers and three strong RB's. All three of the returning QB's made good plays but there were also mistakes. Still waiting for one of them to separate from the pack. 

Then there's this that I found out about. It was put together by one of our LB's, Casey Kropp, and is pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqrhoYt34XM

Go Hawks!

Scots13

What were your thoughts on Berry?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Two hour delay so far at Guilford. They have lights so I guess we can keep waiting.

Hawks88

This sucks. We wait 3+ hours then in a 20 minute stretch go from headed onto the field,called back off the field, to game canceled, no contest.

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 01, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
This sucks. We wait 3+ hours then in a 20 minute stretch go from headed onto the field,called back off the field, to game canceled, no contest.
I live three miles away, Hawks88, so I went home at 6 pm to see what was going to happen.  There is still a lot of thunder and lightning.  A tough spot for the HCs, ADs and officials.  You have to admit, however, a 10-point difference with 13 minutes to go is still anybody's game.

Drive carefully back to Alabama and thanks for looking me up today.

Hawks88

I'm not sure who decided to even send the teams onto the field when they did. It was lightning as bad at that point as it had the whole time. Sure wish we could have finished it.
There's no way I was getting all the way to Alabama tonight at this point. Decided to just stop in Salisbury and start fresh in the morning. I'm glad we got to speak and thanks for the campus tour. That was cool. Good luck to Guilford the rest of the season.

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 01, 2018, 09:28:21 PM
I'm not sure who decided to even send the teams onto the field when they did. It was lightning as bad at that point as it had the whole time. Sure wish we could have finished it.
There's no way I was getting all the way to Alabama tonight at this point. Decided to just stop in Salisbury and start fresh in the morning. I'm glad we got to speak and thanks for the campus tour. That was cool. Good luck to Guilford the rest of the season.
I figured you wouldn't try to go all the way home tonight ... safe travels on Sunday.  For what it's worth, I'm sure everyone wanted to get the game in.  You're welcome on the tour ... sorry we couldn't walk into Ragan-Brown ... go to our website and take a look.  I hope to see you in Montgomery next year and good luck to the Hawks in 2018.

Scots13

Couldn't watch the game closely yesterday, but I can see it will be a long year for my Scots if they continue to have blown assignments in the secondary, penalties and lackluster QB play.

NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

SO ready for Saturday to get here, at home against BSC under the lights. If our offense can approach what they did last week then I think we will be okay, especially if the defense can correct some things and put together a good game.  It's Birmingham-Southern, though, so if we aren't sharp they can always cause us problems.

Go Hawks!

In other stuff to gripe about, I'm not sure what's up with the Montgomery Advertiser but there has been almost no coverage of Huntingdon or Faulkner this season. I think we both had a single article about the first day of camp and small game write-ups on Sundays. In the past they have had season previews the week of the first game and game previews on game days along with videos with coach and player interviews on Wednesdays. All of these things are still there for Auburn, Alabama, Troy and Alabama State but zero for us. They still have plenty of high school coverage but I guess something had to get cut and we were it.

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 06, 2018, 02:31:41 PM
SO ready for Saturday to get here, at home against BSC under the lights. If our offense can approach what they did last week then I think we will be okay, especially if the defense can correct some things and put together a good game.  It's Birmingham-Southern, though, so if we aren't sharp they can always cause us problems.

Go Hawks!

In other stuff to gripe about, I'm not sure what's up with the Montgomery Advertiser but there has been almost no coverage of Huntingdon or Faulkner this season. I think we both had a single article about the first day of camp and small game write-ups on Sundays. In the past they have had season previews the week of the first game and game previews on game days along with videos with coach and player interviews on Wednesdays. All of these things are still there for Auburn, Alabama, Troy and Alabama State but zero for us. They still have plenty of high school coverage but I guess something had to get cut and we were it.
Huntingdon is not alone in lack of coverage.  Guilford is in the middle of ACC country and, with NC A&T, Elon and Appalachian thrown into the mix, we get virtually nothing from the Greensboro News and Record.  There was zero mention pregame or postgame of last week's 'game" versus the Hawks.  It is really sad.  Unless you are a DIII in a town or small city and are literally the only game in town, this is what you'll get.

Hawks88

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Into the third quarter it seemed like we were in control. We got the turnover to start the third and drove for a TD to make it 28-13. Then BSC drove inside the ten but we stopped them on 4th and goal at the 11. From there on it was a nightmare that was all BSC. Our offense stopped executing and the defense started giving up these long bombs and BSC scored 28 straight before we scored with 7 seconds left and didn't get the onside kick. Glad we have the open date next week so we have two weeks to stew over this and find a way to fix the mistakes. Hopefully we can get things straightened out.

Go Hawks!

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 09, 2018, 01:52:33 AM
I'm not sure what to think at this point. Into the third quarter it seemed like we were in control. We got the turnover to start the third and drove for a TD to make it 28-13. Then BSC drove inside the ten but we stopped them on 4th and goal at the 11. From there on it was a nightmare that was all BSC. Our offense stopped executing and the defense started giving up these long bombs and BSC scored 28 straight before we scored with 7 seconds left and didn't get the onside kick. Glad we have the open date next week so we have two weeks to stew over this and find a way to fix the mistakes. Hopefully we can get things straightened out.

Go Hawks!
Yeah, I looked at the boxscore and saw the 28 straight scored by BSC.  Huntingdon is certainly a good offensive team, but the Defense has surrendered a lot of points this season.  I'm sure the HC coaching staff will put these two weeks to good use and keep the team spirit high ... as with last week, none of this affects the USASAC and the automatic bid if they win the conference.  Good luck to the Hawks.