MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Agreed.
Truly one of a kind & so fortunate that I was around for some of his more colorful teams & showmanship.
The man oozed personality, that's for sure.
RIP coach.

lefty2

Misericordia beat Scranton to win the 1995 Laurel Line Tournament and hosted the 1996 tournament.  At the pre-tournament press conference, coach Bessoir pointed to the trophy, which featured a model railroad car and said "That was my train when I was a child....  I want it back."  Classic. 
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

saratoga

Lefty:

Just wondering, did Bess ever get his train back??  ;)

ronk

Quote from: lefty2 on January 02, 2021, 10:46:11 PM
Misericordia beat Scranton to win the 1995 Laurel Line Tournament and hosted the 1996 tournament.  At the pre-tournament press conference, coach Bessoir pointed to the trophy, which featured a model railroad car and said "That was my train when I was a child....  I want it back."  Classic.

In my youth I've ridden on the Laurel Line railroad to get to Rocky Glen amusement park. My memory may be incorrect, however.  ::)

lefty2

Quote from: saratoga on January 05, 2021, 06:24:13 PM

Lefty:

Just wondering, did Bess ever get his train back??  ;)

He did get it back, but not that year.  He then held on to it for three years before vacating the title.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

NEPAFAN

When was the last Laurel Line tournament played?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

lefty2

Quote from: NEPAFAN on January 07, 2021, 04:08:12 PM
When was the last Laurel Line tournament played?
The 25th and final Laurel Line was played in 2016.

Link includes a photo with coach Bessoir's train: 

https://athletics.misericordia.edu/news/2016/11/19/mens-basketball-mu-pulls-away-from-wpu-to-win-mccarthy-tire-laurel-line.aspx

NEPAFAN

YES!!!!

https://www.landmarkconference.org/general/2020-21/releases/13112021-return-to-play-spring

The Landmark Conference Presidents' Council has endorsed a plan to conduct collegiate competition during the 2021 spring semester. As consistent with all decisions at the conference level, the safety and well-being of student-athletes remains the primary goal of the Landmark Conference.

In light of the varied rates of COVID-19 spread and the differences in legal restrictions across the jurisdictions where the Conference plays, the Presidents have proposed that Conference activities occur only among member schools that are willing and able to compete.  They also agree that participating schools should refrain from playing if they pose or face a danger of spreading the virus.

This announcement is to aid student-athletes, families, coaches, and campuses in planning. The Presidents Council and conference leadership will continue to monitor state and local guidance regarding COVID-19. Decisions related to all athletics schedules will be subject to the realities of the pandemic as the coming winter and spring seasons approach.

The council approved February 5 as the tentative start of its conference basketball schedule with the intent of submitting the league champion as the automatic-qualifier to the NCAA Division III postseason tournament.

The league's swimming & diving championship will be conducted at campus sites over a three-weekend period with times/scores at different sites being compiled to crown top finishers in each event along with a league champion.

The league is working on an expanded non-traditional season with multiple dates of competition for fall sports whose 2020 seasons were cancelled. Any changes to the approved spring sport schedules or Championship dates will be communicated prior to the start of their preseason training.

The Landmark Presidents Council recognize the complexity of the decision to compete and agree that each member must make decisions that are appropriate for their institution based upon the public health situation in their specific jurisdiction while putting the health and safety of their students and communities first. The Conference supports the decision of each school to opt out of play altogether or as the season progresses.

The Landmark Conference continues to support the NCAA Guidelines for the Resocialization of Sport along with internal policies & procedures regarding a return to play.

Fans are encouraged to visit www.landmarkconference.org and the member's individual athletic websites for the latest schedules and championship information which will be posted in the coming weeks.

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Don't be surprised if some other schools back out. Susquehanna and Goucher are already out and talking to several the feeling is some others may back out as well. The language in this feels that way as well.

I think there are two or so that may back out - and may not have any choice in their circumstances.

I applaud any chance to try and give student-athletes the chance to play, but I completely understand the challenges college administrations face in their unique places ... and how each president is different.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

The University of Scranton Department of Athletics will announce later this week its plans for winter sports competition during the Spring 2021 semester. The announcement will be shared on athletics.scranton.edu and on Scranton's Athletics social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @RoyalAthletics.

Vince Lombardi

NEPAFAN

We are a go! Scranton announces they are in. Hopefully they aren't the only ones.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Right now the schedule looks like a home & away with Moravian.
Danzig can do this...win both, go undefeated, & get the Landmark AQ for the playoffs.
No Susquehanna to worry about this season. 
Print the playoff tickets.  ;)

ronk

My annual Landmark forecast:

1. Scranton
2. 4-way tie everyone else         nothing to differentiate these teams

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh