New List of College Men's Soccer "Programs That Inspire"

Started by Northern_Explorer, September 30, 2020, 11:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Explorer

Quote from: Another Mom on October 15, 2020, 08:07:40 AM
Yes, I read the link with the 3 principals' background before posting my question.  There are 3 people on the team. One is a track and field coach living in China. One is a basketball coach, and the third, Dave Morris, lists coaching experience,  but does not say for which sport.

Given the apparent lack of soccer experience/connection my question was genuine: I would be interested to learn why you think they have the expertise to assess hundreds of men's soccer programs.
google would be your friend on that sort of thing... I get it though, if your fav school isn't on it, it must be corrupt or stupid or something... you couldn't have a company that sells its expertise simply demonstrate that expertise... that wouldn't make any sense at all, because having well constructed lists that help people and showcase great programs... I don't know, wouldn't be good for business? wouldn't demonstrate the expertise they sell? /sarc

Another Mom

Quote from: Northern_Explorer on October 15, 2020, 11:30:48 AM
Yes, I read the link with the 3 principals' background before posting my question.  There are 3 people on the team. One is a track and field coach living in China. One is a basketball coach, and the third, Dave Morris, lists coaching experience,  but does not say for which sport.

Given the apparent lack of soccer experience/connection my question was genuine: I would be interested to learn why you think they have the expertise to assess hundreds of men's soccer programs.
google would be your friend on that sort of thing... I get it though, if your fav school isn't on it, it must be corrupt or stupid or something... you couldn't have a company that sells its expertise simply demonstrate that expertise... that wouldn't make any sense at all, because having well constructed lists that help people and showcase great programs... I don't know, wouldn't be good for business? wouldn't demonstrate the expertise they sell? /sarc

Why the hostility? I asked reasonable questions, which so far you have failed to answer.

My questions are: 1. Why do you think the programs listed are elite? and 2. What is the expertise that allows this group to evaluate soccer programs?

jknezek

Quote from: Another Mom on October 15, 2020, 12:17:57 PM
Quote from: Northern_Explorer on October 15, 2020, 11:30:48 AM

Why the hostility? I asked reasonable questions, which so far you have failed to answer.

My questions are: 1. Why do you think the programs listed are elite? and 2. What is the expertise that allows this group to evaluate soccer programs?

Not just soccer either. They did football and have men's and women's lax coming up. I'd assume they will keep going but I could be wrong.

Northern_Explorer

I thought it'd be fun to actually dig into the list, but you're asking for stuff you could copy and paste from their website...

I thought it was bad form to do this, but

QuoteRankings are based on a subjective assessment of student experience in four areas:

*Holistic development of student-athletes in the institution
*Academic achievement & support for the academic success of student-athletes
*Overall college experience for participants within the program
*Affordability/Graduation Rates/Student Satisfaction

These rankings are meant to highlight programs that may not be widely publicized despite having achieved consistent elite status in competition and in elevating the lives of participating student-athletes. While this is a subjective list, we believe these rankings present an informed starting point for a discussion about where student-athletes can excel as "triple-threat" competitors (academics, athletics, and socially) in college and in their future lives.
I think they answer your question pretty clearly, tbh

PaulNewman

Quote from: Northern_Explorer on October 15, 2020, 01:20:33 PM
I thought it'd be fun to actually dig into the list, but you're asking for stuff you could copy and paste from their website...

I thought it was bad form to do this, but

QuoteRankings are based on a subjective assessment of student experience in four areas:

*Holistic development of student-athletes in the institution
*Academic achievement & support for the academic success of student-athletes
*Overall college experience for participants within the program
*Affordability/Graduation Rates/Student Satisfaction

These rankings are meant to highlight programs that may not be widely publicized despite having achieved consistent elite status in competition and in elevating the lives of participating student-athletes. While this is a subjective list, we believe these rankings present an informed starting point for a discussion about where student-athletes can excel as "triple-threat" competitors (academics, athletics, and socially) in college and in their future lives.
I think they answer your question pretty clearly, tbh

Would your name happen to be Dave Morris?

Another Mom's only mistake was being unable to resist a nod to Amherst (which, FWIW, IS #1 on the list you are defending/promoting).  I (and many others) sneak (or neon-sign) such nods for our own favorites all the time.  Otherwise, she nailed it.  This website does look like a joke, intended to separate unknowing, but eager families from some of their money.

If anyone visiting D3soccer.com truly needs assistance coming up with a list of 10-15 colleges to focus on for D3 college soccer and an academic/vibe fit, he or she can post (or PM) some details that are truthful and 50 or more regular posters here could provide some very useful information......for free.

As a side note, lists like this CAN be fun -- like best places to live or retire -- but they are not to be taken literally...or for me at least, seriously.  There are dozens and dozens of schools that could be "best" depending on the individual in terms of the desired and within reach criteria for that individual.

Northern_Explorer

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 15, 2020, 07:07:05 PM
lists like this CAN be fun -- like best places to live or retire -- but they are not to be taken literally...or for me at least, seriously.  There are dozens and dozens of schools that could be "best" depending on the individual in terms of the desired and within reach criteria for that individual.
lol... your free, hypothetical list would be fun, and much cheaper than the free, actual list that isn't worth discussing... gotcha big man. My expectations were low, but man, I overshot...

Buck O.

Quote from: Northern_Explorer on October 15, 2020, 11:05:28 PM
lists like this CAN be fun -- like best places to live or retire -- but they are not to be taken literally...or for me at least, seriously.  There are dozens and dozens of schools that could be "best" depending on the individual in terms of the desired and within reach criteria for that individual.
lol... your free, hypothetical list would be fun, and much cheaper than the free, actual list that isn't worth discussing... gotcha big man. My expectations were low, but man, I overshot...

Northern, you seem to be unable to participate in a civil discussion or to address the merits of an issue.  Run along.

Northern_Explorer

Quote from: Buck O. on October 17, 2020, 07:29:59 AM
Quote from: Northern_Explorer on October 15, 2020, 11:05:28 PM

Northern, you seem to be unable to participate in a civil discussion or to address the merits of an issue.  Run along.
lol... let's see.

Who would you dump off the list? Who's a glaring omission... besides Messiah I don't think a single one has come up.