Big games today

Started by hopefan, January 13, 2016, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Thanks to Dave Mchugh for a great conversation and some sound advice.... ;)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on October 26, 2018, 01:11:22 PM
Thanks to Dave Mchugh for a great conversation and some sound advice.... ;)

You bet, bud. I have been in those situations. I will continue to pursue for you. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2018, 12:15:24 PM
Quote from: hopefan on October 26, 2018, 06:36:52 AM
Thanks for the acknowledgement Magic!!!!

AND   for a big game announcement...

TONIGHT... Oct.26         Transylvania at the University of Kentucky.... 7PM EST    on the SEC network....

I remember a game ... jeez, it is longer ago then I want to admit ... where Transylvania got a lead early in the game thanks to a serious dunk by their "big guy" against Kentucky's all-american stud. Kentucky called timeout and the commentator joked that Lane would have a poster of that dunk on the locker room wall by halftime. LOL

Kentucky won the game easily. LOL

Transylvania also tends to walk to this game each time they play.

Makes sense for Transy players to walk. The campus is closer to Rupp Arena than the UK basketball players housing.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 26, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 26, 2018, 12:15:24 PM
Quote from: hopefan on October 26, 2018, 06:36:52 AM
Thanks for the acknowledgement Magic!!!!

AND   for a big game announcement...

TONIGHT... Oct.26         Transylvania at the University of Kentucky.... 7PM EST    on the SEC network....

I remember a game ... jeez, it is longer ago then I want to admit ... where Transylvania got a lead early in the game thanks to a serious dunk by their "big guy" against Kentucky's all-american stud. Kentucky called timeout and the commentator joked that Lane would have a poster of that dunk on the locker room wall by halftime. LOL

Kentucky won the game easily. LOL

Transylvania also tends to walk to this game each time they play.

Makes sense for Transy players to walk. The campus is closer to Rupp Arena than the UK basketball players housing.

Google lists it as a 13 minute walk from the center of campus to the Rupp front entrance.  If they're going in a back door somewhere, it'll be even closer.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 22, 2018, 10:48:56 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on October 22, 2018, 10:10:08 AM
I am planning on traveling to the Boston area for New Years Eve this year. I would love to see a Northeast D3 hoops game, any thoughts on what would be the best couple games to attend? Quality of teams, arena and environment should all be factored in ;)!

Some info... We will be staying very close to Harvard, as my girlfriends friend from High School is now a Master student there. We tentatively plan on flying in on 12/28th and flying back on either 1/1/19 or 1/2/19. We will be walking around Harvard, MIT and Tufts (I plan campus self-tours into our trips). Not sure if we will be renting a car so staying within "Uber-range" or public transit would be ideal. I noticed Springfield may be playing Nichols in the Springfield tourney but I don't know how possible that is distance wise, although the basketball hall of fame is for sure a plus to making that trip.

Any info would be appreciated!

Cambridge to Springfield is like 90 minutes (faster if you stay with the flow of traffic as opposed to the speed limit) right down the Mass Pike - it's a booth-less toll road, though, so make sure you get the EZPass with your rental (probably a good idea if you're driving in New England anyway) or you'll get a nice bill a few weeks after you return it.  I doubt traffic will be too bad on the 30th and that final game should be pretty good.

If you're into novelty, St. Joe's (CT) is playing at Salve Regina on the 29th.  You'd get to see Jim Calhoun coach a d3 game and Salve is in Newport, RI, which is full of giant old mansions - in fact, the Salve campus is designed to look like mansions (including the gym, which is set 30 feet below grade so it doesn't stand out from the rest of campus.  It's 1pm tip, so you'd be able to drive around town a bit.  Obviously not the same experience in December as it is in June, but the homes are still there.  It's about the same distance down there as it is to Springfield.

On the 31st, my alma mater plays its big rivalry game at Gordon, that's just 30-40 minutes up the coast from Boston.  Both teams are going to be good not great this year, but they're the only two non-catholic religious schools in New England and they've been going at it for 50 years.  Usually a good atmosphere.  They're playing at ENC on Dec 12th, so it'll be a revenge game for one of the teams.  Not the same level of play as Springfield, but it'll be decent and should be competitive.

Most NE teams head out of the area for the break, if they play at all.  There's four or five practically within walking distance of Cambridge, but none of them are at home while you're there.  Best of luck.  Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks Ryan and thanks hopefan as well as others! I will keep you updated on what we end up doing.

ronk

Just saw some of the 2nd half tonight; Transy was competitive.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: ronk on October 26, 2018, 11:12:57 PM
They kept the lead in the low 20s most of the 2nd half. Never let Kentucky get that big run to blow it wide open like you might expect. Respectable performance that I'm sure some D1 teams won't be able to match.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 27, 2018, 12:35:31 AM
Quote from: ronk on October 26, 2018, 11:12:57 PM
They kept the lead in the low 20s most of the 2nd half. Never let Kentucky get that big run to blow it wide open like you might expect. Respectable performance that I'm sure some D1 teams won't be able to match.

Of course, the guys on the floor in the second half for Kentucky won't see any minutes the rest of the year.

hopefan

Wheaton (Mass.) wins!!!...errr...Loses..... Albertus Magnus schedule is posted... Leaving Wheaton as the only school NOT to have their 2018-19 schedule posted...  I guess the Staff was just too busy covering Wheaton's Football team

oh wait..... Wheaton doesn't have football.... ::) ::) ::)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on October 31, 2018, 05:10:59 AM
Wheaton (Mass.) wins!!!...errr...Loses..... Albertus Magnus schedule is posted... Leaving Wheaton as the only school NOT to have their 2018-19 schedule posted...  I guess the Staff was just too busy covering Wheaton's Football team

https://athletics.wheatoncollege.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

I found this a few seconds ago.  Was it not up before?  Or are you dinging them because it says "tentative?"

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 31, 2018, 07:57:07 AM

I found this a few seconds ago.  Was it not up before?  Or are you dinging them because it says "tentative?"

Because it's "hidden".. if you hit schedule on their site, it still comes up the 17-18 schedule... most people wouldn't know to change the years in the title to get to the 18-19 schedule...

Greek Tragedy

When looking for schedules and last year's schedule shows up, I automatically look to change the years if it allows me. Most of the time it doesn't help, but there's always a chance it does.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

OC_SID

Quote from: hopefan on October 31, 2018, 08:56:40 AM

Because it's "hidden".. if you hit schedule on their site, it still comes up the 17-18 schedule... most people wouldn't know to change the years in the title to get to the 18-19 schedule...

If you go to Basketball and then schedule under the Sports menu, you get the 2018-19 schedule.

hopefan

Quote from: OC_SID on October 31, 2018, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: hopefan on October 31, 2018, 08:56:40 AM

If you go to Basketball and then schedule under the Sports menu, you get the 2018-19 schedule.

aha...+1 to OC SID!!  he has caught a flaw in the Wheaton system... when hitting the Wheaton site through the D3hoops system, it takes you to a basketball site, and when schedule is hit, it gives the 17-18 schedule.  BUT, as OC points out, if you hit SPORTS on the same site, then basketball schedule, it gives the 18-19 sked..  the same thing happens if you go through the Wheaton College, athletics, sports etc sites...
OC SID, you're a fellow pro to Wheaton Mass SiD... give him a call!!!!......    Good catch..... 

Pat Coleman

I discovered yesterday in clicking around that Mount St. Vincent's page defaults to its 2016-17 schedule. Why isn't that worthy of the same hopefan dig?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.