MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoCorsairs

McDonald can't drive left? You base that off of one game vs Springfield? Against WPI he was driving left and hitting pull up J's all day. So which one of us is the better critic.

pridefan

'll admit that I've only seen K. McDonald once this year - yesterday vs Springfield.  All I can tell you is what I saw - were you there and what was your take?  If he does it other games like WPI, then you're right.

By the way, my other posts give him credit for having improved a lot since last year - just not player of the year, in my opinion.

As a team, Babson's issue yesterday seemed to mostly be a lack of size underneath.  They're zone is very active and quick but mismatches down low are an issue.  Ex: Springfield's 3,4,and 5 had 45 of their 61 pts. Since you follow them, what's your read on why they've struggled despite McDonald playing so well?

chubbyboybaby

Babson, with McDonald playing well, is capable of beating any team in the newmac.  I do not believe that their record reflects how good their team really is.  They play one of the toughest out of league schedules in the country with games against Trinity, Brandeis, Wash U, Chicago, and Amherst.  With the exception of Brandeis, all of these were very close games.  If these guys realize their potential and if Kyle McDonald keeps playing the way he has, they definitely have a shot at the newmac title.  I think Kyle McDonald could be the newmac p.o.y. if the beavers can come out on top.
GO UMD!

clarkie

Though I cannot comment really on Babson, I was at the Clark vs. MIT game on Saturday and Jimmy B was fantastic, and this is from a Clark fan. It seemed like he didn't miss, he played well, passed well, and seemed like a genuinely nice kid. I do have to say (and I believe I have said this before), that Dou Soumare plays extremely dirty basketball and I am surprised he has not gotten more technical fouls. It really was awful to watch him deter from Bartollotta's great performance. A good game, nonetheless.

MeOak21

Clarkie,
Just out of curiousity, what, in your opinion, constitutes "dirty basketball"?

ILive4This

If you are interested in participating in the NE poster's poll, please email me or pm me your top 10 by tonight at 8. We have 10 voters in so far, and I was hoping to get to 15 this week, so please take a moment and throw in your two cents.

pridefan

Any Lyons fans out there have an update on Wheaton's performance so far?  Springfield plays Wheaton this Wed and I'm curious about your opinion  and observations.

DiGiovanna seems to be playing fewer minutes this year vs last - why is that?  Coppola's emergence has reallocated minutes among the guards which can sometime cause chemistry issues.  How is it going?

What would you recommend for a fan to look for to tell if they are playing their intended game?

Just by watching their stats, it seems that Springfield faces another test to stop Coppola like they faced with K. McDonald at Babson.

Hugenerd

Quote from: clarkie on January 28, 2008, 10:59:28 AM
Though I cannot comment really on Babson, I was at the Clark vs. MIT game on Saturday and Jimmy B was fantastic, and this is from a Clark fan. It seemed like he didn't miss, he played well, passed well, and seemed like a genuinely nice kid. I do have to say (and I believe I have said this before), that Dou Soumare plays extremely dirty basketball and I am surprised he has not gotten more technical fouls. It really was awful to watch him deter from Bartollotta's great performance. A good game, nonetheless.

I think you perceive him as a "dirty" player for the wrong reasons.  To be honest, he is just a really good athlete that happens to be tall.  Because of his height and athleticism he is good at basketball and he has worked really hard to improve his game at the FT line and in the post.  However, I dont think he has played competitive, organized basketball long enough to know the intricacies of the game to be intentionally trying to play dirty.  I think he just goes out there and plays his hardest and does his best to listen to his coach.  Coach Anderson is a very defensive minded coach who expects alot out of his players defensively.  Thus, each player interprets this differently and tries to implement "playing hard" defensively in their own way.  I dont think you can fault a kid for trying his hardest on D.  I have been to alot of the MIT games over the past 3 years and I cant remember a single time when Dou injured another player, intentionally or inadvertantly.  He has actually gotten hurt more times himself playing his style than hurt others.  I remember a game 2 years ago at CGA where he pinned a shot so violently to the backboard that he dislocated his thumb and the metacarpel (bone below the joint) actually pierced through his skin (this caused him to miss all the games until the conference tourney that year).  Needless to say, he plays hard and I dont think you can fault him for that.

LyonFan

Quote from: pridefan on January 28, 2008, 07:02:21 PM
Any Lyons fans out there have an update on Wheaton's performance so far?  Springfield plays Wheaton this Wed and I'm curious about your opinion  and observations.

DiGiovanna seems to be playing fewer minutes this year vs last - why is that?  Coppola's emergence has reallocated minutes among the guards which can sometime cause chemistry issues.  How is it going?

What would you recommend for a fan to look for to tell if they are playing their intended game?

Just by watching their stats, it seems that Springfield faces another test to stop Coppola like they faced with K. McDonald at Babson.

This will be a big game for a Wheaton team that has dropped three straight.  From what I have seen, CGA and WPI are the top teams, but everyone else has a chance on any given night.  There are no easy games in this conference.  To answer your questions, DiGiovana suffered a leg injury in December, and has been building back since - he has started the last two games.  Coppola is one of four (three starting) freshman guards who have seen major minutes.  They are a talented group who will only get better, but they are freshmen.  Coppola is one heck of a scorer.  I am not sure they have determined a true identity as a team.  They win when they play solid defense, and minimize their turnovers.

d3H00psFan

[/quote]

From what I have seen, CGA and WPI are the top teams, but everyone else has a chance on any given night. 
[/quote]

I think this is very true. I mean look at the games they have lost...both teams have shot very poorly. CGA shot (from box score) 36% against Springfield but only had 10 turnovers. I don't think the defense was overwhelming...just a poor shooting night, and they still only lost by 2. And WPI's lost to Babson was the same deal. They shot 2-25 from the three point line...something they are not going to do every night. All in all, anybody can win any game in the NEWMAC, frontrunner or not! Look forward to seeing the games the second time around and into the tournament.

Hugenerd

Big game tomorrow night between MIT and WPI.  Winner goes into first into the conference (either outright or via tiebreakers).  MIT is undefeated at home, it will be interesting to see what happens.

T990

That IS a big game.  I predict the Engineers will win.  ;) 

pridefan

Thanks for the feedback on Wheaton.  DiGionna coming back should help ( and I'm glad he's recovered so he can finish out his sr year  - he, and everyone, deserves a good finish ).

Starting 3 frosh is tough for a while - that probably explains a lot about their struggles despite Coppola's great stats.  3 frosh starters and keeping turnovers usually don't go together....if Springfield had more depth, I'd say throw a press at those frosh guards!

You're right about anybody in the NEWMAC winning on any given night. Springfield's been in every game and looking more confident each night. Coach Brock seems more upbeat this year too!

golflax99

Looks like Babson stepped up tonight. They are starting to prove they are a lot more than just Kyle McDonald. Brian MacDonald stepped up with 20 and Etten had 15 as Babson shot 46% from the arc. Kyle McDonald also added a season high 8 assists and no TOs, as Babson beat CGA 78-70 at home. Babson also had a season high 16 assists and only 4 TOs as a team, something they've been looking for all season.

Hugenerd

I was at the MIT vs. WPI game tonight and it was a good one.  MIT had a chance to win in regulation with the ball and the final shot, but Bradley Gampel missed a driving layup and Dou Soumare was tackled on the put back (no call) as time expired so the game went to OT.  MIT just didnt seem to play as well in OT: WPI got a few rolls, Jimmy B forced a few 3s and then ultimately fouled out with about 30 seconds left (down 4) and had to exit the game, taking with him all of MITs chances ofwinning.

A few other notes: 
1. Jimmy B got fouled with ~3 minutes to play on a 3 pointer and only made 2 of 3, there were no points scored the rest of regulation, so if he had made all 3, the game could have played out completely differently.
2.  On a breakaway in the first half, Dou Soumare was wrapped up from behind (aka tackled) while going up for a dunk by Antoine Coleman and driven into the base of the hoop.  Luckily, Dou was able to return, but Coleman was not called for a flagrant and, actually, Jimmy B was called for a technical for running over to get between his fallen teammate and Coleman.  This was Jimmy's 3rd foul of the game.  When he got his 4th foul in the 2nd half with about 17 minutes to play, he had to sit for 11 minutes, which was also a big turning point because after Will Mroz got his 4th foul, Ian Sugel had to come in and play (who doesnt play often) and was 0-4 from the field with 2 turnovers in 9 minutes.
Finally:  I was surprised at Colemans inability to drive with his left hand.  He was fine dribbling with his left around the perimeter, but 3 times in the first half he tried going to the hoop with his left and turned it over each time.  The 3 times he scored in the paint, he made nice moves to his right hand and was able to drop in short runners/layups.  If you dont guard him well, I can definitely see how he could beat you to the right and he is a solid finisher within 10 feet (as well as a good athlete), but I expected him to be a bit more versatile playing as a small forward.  MIT did a good job of taking away his right and he only scored 6 points in regulation.

WPI takes control of the NEWMAC, with a 1 game lead over Clark and a 2 game lead over MIT and Babson. MIT and WPI meet in Worcester on Feb. 16.