FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sju56321

At least we now have this Board to occupy our time-but still have not figured how to bill for posting.  ;)
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

Knightstalker

Quote from: tmerton on September 29, 2010, 04:08:35 PM
Quote from: USTBench on September 29, 2010, 02:16:50 PM

... what I'm doing in this boring law office?

A question asked incessantly by innumerable lawyers.  Get used to it. 8-)

Not just lawyers ask themselves that question.

Billing is easy, just list it as online research.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

retagent

Ah, the old invalid argumentation technique of Argumentum ad hominum. I will say that I haven't played all that much football, but I have been on this earth for a good number of years, have eyes, a brain, and can process information as well as most. If one can't learn by watching and analyzing what works, what doesn't, what certain teams are good at, what they are not good at, what some teams tendencies are, what their weaknesses are, then I guess I will "shut my Yapper."

Touchdown Tommy

Clark: You can run but you CAN'T hide.  Be a man.  Stand up and accept TC's trade proposal.  You've been talking a big game.  He's willing to take the friendly gentlemen's wager straight up without even getting any points.  If you want, I'm sure TC would throw in his World Series tickets for the Twins if you feel he isn't offering enough with accomodations at his pad on the shores of Lake Minnetonka...

Tommie vs Johnnie Game Preview up later this afternoon on JohnnieFootball.com.  Lots of content this week...
Chasing MILFs since '82...

sju56321

Purebread-I was at that '94 game v. Hamline-not fun-but the rest of the year was fantastic. That was the year of the turf pass by Albion to beat SJU.
After his second touchdown catch in a record-setting day, St. John's receiver Will Gillach pointed skyward. That, folks, was for former head coach John Gagilardi. The legendary coach of the Johnnies for 60 seasons and 64 in college overall died Sunday. He was 91. His 489 victories are most in college football history in any division.

faunch

My point was that I think they do try to hide "wrinkles" on both the offense and defensive sides of the ball.  I did not play at SJU and in fact my football playing experience is limited to high school 20+ years ago on a team that didn't have a very sophisticated offense or defense.
That being said I do think SJU keeps things very vanilla against teams that they are fairly confident they can beat.  Like other teams they run plays and sets for the sole purpose of making teams prepare for something that they probably won't see on game day.  I don't know if this was the case against UWEC or Concordia as I didn't watch the games.  

As for the issue of game film...I know for a fact that the UST coaching staff has watched film on every single SJU game going back a number of years.  I agree with many others that if a team wants to get film on another team they will find a way to get it.  

I do think the Jays are working very hard to establish the running game this season and will have to run the ball effectively against UST on Saturday.  They will need to control the ball, keep the clock running and limit the number of UST possesions.  If the Tommies have to punt the ball early it's good news for the Jays, however if the Tommies can get up early it could be an uphill battle for SJU.  

I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about anyway...bartender!!!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Purebred Johnnie

Quote from: faunch on September 29, 2010, 06:05:49 PM

I do think the Jays are working very hard to establish the running game this season and will have to run the ball effectively against UST on Saturday.  They will need to control the ball, keep the clock running and limit the number of UST possesions.  If the Tommies have to punt the ball early it's good news for the Jays, however if the Tommies can get up early it could be an uphill battle for SJU.   

My fear is the Johnnie predictability.  They have the size advantage on the O-Line so my guess is they'll try to use that early.  Will it be pound between the tackles, throw on 3rd and long?  Or will it be a creative running scheme mixing inside and outside runs, pitches, etc.  Hopefully #2 because #1 is what lost us the UW-EC game. 

Touchdown Tommy

Ok you crazy rabble rousers.  The USTD vs SJU Preview is Live at JohnnieFootball.com now.  May God have mercy on my soul....

Also, make sure to look closely at the pictures.  Junior is seen hot doggin it down the sidelines and a special appearance from Dick "The Trickster" Wilke...
Chasing MILFs since '82...

Purebred Johnnie

Quote from: Touchdown Tommy on September 29, 2010, 06:28:05 PM
Ok you crazy rabble rousers.  The USTD vs SJU Preview is Live at JohnnieFootball.com now.  May God have mercy on my soul....

Also, make sure to look closely at the pictures.  Junior is seen hot doggin it down the sidelines and a special appearance from Dick "The Trickster" Wilke...

Good post USTd.  Looks like you are going Purple and I am going Red on this one.  Remember last time we disagreed on a prediction?  The Johnnies clobbered.

WithasilentK

Quote from: Purebred Johnnie on September 29, 2010, 06:22:02 PM

I do think the Jays are working very hard to establish the running game this season and will have to run the ball effectively against UST on Saturday.  They will need to control the ball, keep the clock running and limit the number of UST possesions.  If the Tommies have to punt the ball early it's good news for the Jays, however if the Tommies can get up early it could be an uphill battle for SJU.   

My fear is the Johnnie predictability.  They have the size advantage on the O-Line so my guess is they'll try to use that early.  Will it be pound between the tackles, throw on 3rd and long?  Or will it be a creative running scheme mixing inside and outside runs, pitches, etc.  Hopefully #2 because #1 is what lost us the UW-EC game. 

SJU has the size advantage over UST? I don't know each team's starting line, but I assumed UST has the size advantage.

WashedUp

Quote from: WithasilentK on September 29, 2010, 06:48:15 PM
Quote from: Purebred Johnnie on September 29, 2010, 06:22:02 PM

SJU has the size advantage over UST? I don't know each team's starting line, but I assumed UST has the size advantage.

Average line sizes according to the rosters on the team websites:

SJU O-Line: 283 lbs
UST D-Line: 252 lbs

UST O-Line: 298 lbs
SJU D-Line: 239 lbs
MIAC Champions: 1924, 1992

tmerton

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  Run and hide from you, TDPT?  You think you're Anton Chigurh or something?  More like Chester.

You and the ephemeral TC are welcome to watch where I go in the pick 'ems and to take the other side if you wish (hint - I'm likely to go with the J's).  If you win I'll give you a beer out of my trunk after the game, if any are left. 

TC

Re: Johnnie coaching brilliance, y'all will have to excuse me--I haven't gotten my issue of Johnnie Groupthink Weekly in the mail yet.  Are we considering Jimmy G a genius or a doofus right now? 

If he really did keep all the good plays under wraps against UW-Eau Claire, then it's time to end his nepotistic reign and get a real offensive coordinator because a loss to UWEC really sucks for SJU's postseason chances.  And if he used all the good plays that game and that's all St. John's has against a good defense, well...  Saturday could get ugly. 

Clark, what's on the menu for Saturday?  A little PBR action? 
St. John's Football: Ordinary people doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.

WWW.JOHNNIEFOOTBALL.COM

RussellT22

Re video exchange: All games are on a conference server via dragonfly storm software. All conference teams have access to all the games at this point in the season and will for the duration of the season. You can bet that the week 11 opponent has all 9 prior games being scouted.

Re playoff video exchange: Last 3 games are traded via method approved by both teams in first round. 2nd round and beyond the two previous games are given to the winner at the conclusion of the game. The most recent game is typically overnighted.

Re getting extra video: Conference teams are not allowed to share ANY video outside of the conference of any playoff teams.

Re holding plays or schemes back: Doesn't happen. Not at this level. Teams are too good to hold things back. Maybe a coach can get away with it at the HS level but not at the college level. It is hard enough to win games with the whole assortment of plays and schemes.

DustySJU

My point was that I think they do try to hide "wrinkles" on both the offense and defensive sides of the ball.  I did not play at SJU and in fact my football playing experience is limited to high school 20+ years ago on a team that didn't have a very sophisticated offense or defense.
That being said I do think SJU keeps things very vanilla against teams that they are fairly confident they can beat.  Like other teams they run plays and sets for the sole purpose of making teams prepare for something that they probably won't see on game day.  I don't know if this was the case against UWEC or Concordia as I didn't watch the games.  

As for the issue of game film...I know for a fact that the UST coaching staff has watched film on every single SJU game going back a number of years.  I agree with many others that if a team wants to get film on another team they will find a way to get it.  

I do think the Jays are working very hard to establish the running game this season and will have to run the ball effectively against UST on Saturday.  They will need to control the ball, keep the clock running and limit the number of UST possesions.  If the Tommies have to punt the ball early it's good news for the Jays, however if the Tommies can get up early it could be an uphill battle for SJU.  

I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about anyway...bartender!!!

Gimmie nuther beer....
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com