D3 Hoops Bucket List

Started by Smitty Oom, February 02, 2019, 10:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 11:36:10 AM
I knew I would miss one!! Thanks Augie.
So that makes 35 states to see a D3 school in!!!

Map guys, how long would this take???? Lots of miles and few schools/states out west, but you might be able to knock off 3 per day out east.

Fun project this off season to come up with an itinerary.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

I have not seen Division III home games played in these states: Washington, Oregon, California, Louisiana, Nebraska, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, North Carolina, Vermont, Rhode Island.

I have seen teams from all of these states play elsewhere, except I have never seen a Louisiana D-III team, a West Virginia D-III team or a Rhode Island D-III team play in any state.

(I saw Catholic play at Davidson, so I have at least seen a D-III team play in North Carolina.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 08, 2019, 12:10:06 PM
I have not seen Division III home games played in these states: Washington, Oregon, California, Louisiana, Nebraska, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, North Carolina, Vermont, Rhode Island.

I have seen teams from all of these states play elsewhere, except I have never seen a Louisiana D-III team, a West Virginia D-III team or a Rhode Island D-III team play in any state.

(I saw Catholic play at Davidson, so I have at least seen a D-III team play in North Carolina.)
The fact that I saw a Rhode Island team was a bit of a fluke... We had made the tourney in one of my coaching years, and a potential opponent was Rhode Island College... the Head Coach relaxes at home, the assistant drives everywhere (this was back in the day before videos/internet etc).. so I drove to Providence to see Rhode Island College play...nope, we didn't play them in the tourney...

Pat Coleman

Oh shoot -- I forgot about Roger Williams. We had them at the D3hoops.com Classic in D.C. in December 2000. Rhode Island box checked.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

OH MY GOSH... I realize I forgot on my list... the biggest of the big time that I played against while playing at RPI... yes , my senior year... we opened up at....   GEORGETOWN... no, you witty readers, not Georgetown Kentucky, the Georgetown in the heart of DC .. and amazingly we competed, losing if memory serves me right by 14... we had the guy that I still feel was the best player RPI ever had, Randy Brown, and another 6'7" player Tom Neufer who could play, so we matched size wise pretty well... unfortunately, Randy was in love, transferred after 3 games that season to be at BU with his sweetheart, and our year became buried in mediocrity... but I'll never forget that trip, so big time for us, as it was arranged by alumni... we FLEW, and after the game, we were treated to a light reception, then a tour of the monuments etc at night in automobiles, hosted by an alum... I will update my list!!!

I should add, this was in the days before Patrick Ewing and Coach Thompson... the gym was a relatively small gym, assuming right on campus....

hopefan

Three distinctive gyms we played in at RPI...
surprisingly... Cornell... back in the 70's the locker room was in a building across the street from the basketball court... you dressed in the locker room, went UNDER the street through a long tunnel which eventually emerged on the court in the other building...

Rochester... the locker room was directly above one end of the court... so the visitors would come out of the locker room directly on to a lengthy staircase that fed you right on to the court...

Brooklyn Poly... an old old building.. you dressed somewhere deep down in the building, wound your way upstairs to the court, which was on top of the building with lots of glass or plastic so that it was bright/glarey on a Saturday afternoon... also, NO stands.. team benches on one side, a couple of benches on the other for spectators... I remember because we always laughed about it... there were 3 spectators at our game...

ronk

The most distinctive gym that I played in and the mecca of college basketball - the U of Penn Palestra as part of a tripleheader. After a pregame meal in the Penn athletic dining facility, the Scranton frosh played the Temple frosh in the opener(this Temple team would play in the NIT when they were seniors), Scranton vs Temple in the 2nd game(62-71), and a big 5 clash in the nightcap, St. Joseph(with Jimmy Lynam(future NBA coach)) vs Penn(with John Wideman(future Pulitzer Prize(literature) winner)).
   It was the top thrill of my 1-year collegiate career, seeing how the other half of college basketball lived.

ronk

Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 12:51:52 PM
OH MY GOSH... I realize I forgot on my list... the biggest of the big time that I played against while playing at RPI... yes , my senior year... we opened up at....   GEORGETOWN... no, you witty readers, not Georgetown Kentucky, the Georgetown in the heart of DC .. and amazingly we competed, losing if memory serves me right by 14... we had the guy that I still feel was the best player RPI ever had, Randy Brown, and another 6'7" player Tom Neufer who could play, so we matched size wise pretty well... unfortunately, Randy was in love, transferred after 3 games that season to be at BU with his sweetheart, and our year became buried in mediocrity... but I'll never forget that trip, so big time for us, as it was arranged by alumni... we FLEW, and after the game, we were treated to a light reception, then a tour of the monuments etc at night in automobiles, hosted by an alum... I will update my list!!!

I should add, this was in the days before Patrick Ewing and Coach Thompson... the gym was a relatively small gym, assuming right on campus....

hopefan,
  The score was 62-52 Georgetown, in on campus McDonough Gym. This was the 1st game of the season; the last game of the previous season for Georgetown was against LSU and Pete Maravich in the NIT. So, they went from defending Pete to defending you. Probably used the same game plan.  ::)

hopefan

Quote from: ronk on February 08, 2019, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 12:51:52 PM

hopefan,
  The score was 62-52 Georgetown, in on campus McDonough Gym. This was the 1st game of the season; the last game of the previous season for Georgetown was against LSU and Pete Maravich in the NIT. So, they went from defending Pete to defending you. Probably used the same game plan.  ::)
Ronk almost single digits!!!!  hopefan was held to 4 that night, on a couple of pretty nifty drives to the hoop... unfortunately, I can also remember a little guard driving by me numerous times and dishing to the big men, or hitting a jump shot...  Well, at least my hair flopped around like  Pistols back in those days...

Gregory Sager

That's the first reference to Pistol Pete Maravich I've ever seen that contained the word "flop" that didn't make reference to his trademark floppy socks.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 01:04:25 PMBrooklyn Poly... an old old building.. you dressed somewhere deep down in the building, wound your way upstairs to the court, which was on top of the building with lots of glass or plastic so that it was bright/glarey on a Saturday afternoon... also, NO stands.. team benches on one side, a couple of benches on the other for spectators... I remember because we always laughed about it... there were 3 spectators at our game...

The smallest and quirkiest college "gym" at which I've seen a game was at Northeastern Illinois University, back before the school built a legit gym and went first D2 and then D1 in the early '90s. (It then abruptly eliminated sports altogether while the 1996-97 school year was still in session.) Back in the early part of the 1987-88 season, when NEIU was an NAIA program, I walked the six blocks from my apartment to NEIU to see the Golden Eagles host Augustana. It was the first (and last) time I had ever seen a game there, and I had to ask a janitor where the gym was located.

As it turned out, it really wasn't a gym. It was more like a wide spot in a hallway. In fact, it barely qualified as a court, as I'm pretty sure that it had the same shortened dimensions as the Holland Civic Center. It was sunk into the floor on one side of the hallway, and you simply walked down three steps from the hallway onto the floor. Those three steps, which ran the length of the court and had no railing separating them from the hallway, doubled as the stands. The walls on the other three sides barely had enough room between them and the court for wall mats to cushion the frequent collisions when players ran, slid, or fell into the walls. I think that the two teams used classrooms that had locks on the doors as locker rooms. And the capper was that the entire facility -- hallway, steps, and court -- consisted of white linoleum.

Augustana beat NEIU that afternoon, 108-81, and the attendance was listed at 25 people. Whoever did the head count was clearly including coaches, players, refs, and table, because the only three people who should've counted in the attendance figure were myself and the two parents of an Augustana reserve who were sitting on those linoleum steps.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 08, 2019, 04:09:46 PM
Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 01:04:25 PMBrooklyn Poly... an old old building.. you dressed somewhere deep down in the building, wound your way upstairs to the court, which was on top of the building with lots of glass or plastic so that it was bright/glarey on a Saturday afternoon... also, NO stands.. team benches on one side, a couple of benches on the other for spectators... I remember because we always laughed about it... there were 3 spectators at our game...

The smallest and quirkiest college "gym" at which I've seen a game was at Northeastern Illinois University, back before the school built a legit gym and went first D2 and then D1 in the early '90s. (It then abruptly eliminated sports altogether while the 1996-97 school year was still in session.) Back in the early part of the 1987-88 season, when NEIU was an NAIA program, I walked the six blocks from my apartment to NEIU to see the Golden Eagles host Augustana. It was the first (and last) time I had ever seen a game there, and I had to ask a janitor where the gym was located.

As it turned out, it really wasn't a gym. It was more like a wide spot in a hallway. In fact, it barely qualified as a court, as I'm pretty sure that it had the same shortened dimensions as the Holland Civic Center. It was sunk into the floor on one side of the hallway, and you simply walked down three steps from the hallway onto the floor. Those three steps, which ran the length of the court and had no railing separating them from the hallway, doubled as the stands. The walls on the other three sides barely had enough room between them and the court for wall mats to cushion the frequent collisions when players ran, slid, or fell into the walls. I think that the two teams used classrooms that had locks on the doors as locker rooms. And the capper was that the entire facility -- hallway, steps, and court -- consisted of white linoleum.

Augustana beat NEIU that afternoon, 108-81, and the attendance was listed at 25 people. Whoever did the head count was clearly including coaches, players, refs, and table, because the only three people who should've counted in the attendance figure were myself and the two parents of an Augustana reserve who were sitting on those linoleum steps.

Beautiful.. wish we had a picture...

I know many of us have played in high school gyms that were incredibly quirky... I can tell some stories about some that I've played in, or seen games in, but we'll wait for the off season....one in particular is so unreal, I'd love to have someone from that era verify it for me to make sure I'm not remembering a dream...

augie77

Quote from: hopefan on February 08, 2019, 04:21:36 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 08, 2019, 04:09:46 PM

Beautiful.. wish we had a picture...

I know many of us have played in high school gyms that were incredibly quirky... I can tell some stories about some that I've played in, or seen games in, but we'll wait for the off season....one in particular is so unreal, I'd love to have someone from that era verify it for me to make sure I'm not remembering a dream...

Just two Augustana fans at a game in Chicago?? Those were lean times for Augie, but I'd expect more parents, at the very least.  I'm not challenging your credibility.  Just wondering if there were other extenuating circumstances.  I've never seen Augustana play a game in Illinois with less than a couple dozen fans, be they parents, girlfriends, or other close friends.  Without checking the 1987-88 roster I'm fairly certain most of the players would have hailed from within an our of NEIU.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: augie77 on February 08, 2019, 04:32:17 PMJust two Augustana fans at a game in Chicago?? Those were lean times for Augie, but I'd expect more parents, at the very least.  I'm not challenging your credibility.  Just wondering if there were other extenuating circumstances.

They probably didn't bump into the janitor who knew where the "gym" was located. ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

So my mostly updated list includes having seen in person (minimum a half) 176 MBB and 111 WBB teams and been in 45 gyms for a game - though, I am still finding ones I forgot about and need to add, that continues to grow.

I've seen games in (12) states: Maryland, Virginia, Washington (DC), Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Georgia (Final Four), Ohio, Michigan, Illinois (nearly Iowa LOL), Texas, and Las Vegas (ha!).

I have seen teams from (32) states: Maryland (all teams), Virginia, Washington (DC), Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, Delaware, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, Minnesota, Alabama, Iowa, Wisconsin, Vermont, North Carolina, Washington, Oregon, California, Nebraska, Mississippi, Kentucky, Indiana, New Hampshire, Arkansas, Missouri, Rhode Island.

Sheesh ... maybe I need to find a new hobby.

Hope to grow that "seen games IN" category a bit more in the next year or two.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.