FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Scots13

They have USA South written all over them, but I'd like to see 3 OOC games annually.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

The growth rate in D3 continues. There are some long term implications for this, but overall I'm happy to see the continued growth in the south. When you look at the density in the north east or midwest, the south has a lot of catching up to do. The USASC and SAA have pretty big travel footprints. More density can only help that and lower expenses in the future.

hasanova

Brevard is in western NC, so not so far from Maryville, Piedmont and the like.  It's a haul to NC Wesleyan in eastern NC and would have been a very long trip to CNU.  NC covers a lot of territory east to west ... with Tennessee, you can go Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River in only two states ... same with Virginia and Kentucky or Virginia and Tennessee (and, for you purists, Georgia and Tennessee lol).

I do not think Brevard would be a successful candidate for the ODAC or SAA ... USASAC is, in my opinion, their best option.  My nephew attended there as a DII basketball player, so I know their history in the DII South Atlantic Conference.

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on May 28, 2015, 10:07:51 AM
Brevard is in western NC, so not so far from Maryville, Piedmont and the like.  It's a haul to NC Wesleyan in eastern NC and would have been a very long trip to CNU.  NC covers a lot of territory east to west ... with Tennessee, you can go Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River in only two states ... same with Virginia and Kentucky or Virginia and Tennessee (and, for you purists, Georgia and Tennessee lol).

I do not think Brevard would be a successful candidate for the ODAC or SAA ... USASAC is, in my opinion, their best option.  My nephew attended there as a DII basketball player, so I know their history in the DII South Atlantic Conference.

Me either to the bolded part. I'm just thinking more overall density. The USASC is a huge geographic footprint, although not as bad as the ASC. The south just needs more density to lower the costs in a few of these conferences. The SAA is probably less worried about costs than fit, but I'd think the USASC would love to consolidate a bit. Huntingdon to CNU was a bear, so dropping the northern team helps. But Huntingdon to Averett is still almost 550 miles as is Huntingdon to Methodist. That's a long trip...

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on May 28, 2015, 10:47:13 AM

Me either to the bolded part. I'm just thinking more overall density. The USASC is a huge geographic footprint, although not as bad as the ASC. The south just needs more density to lower the costs in a few of these conferences. The SAA is probably less worried about costs than fit, but I'd think the USASC would love to consolidate a bit. Huntingdon to CNU was a bear, so dropping the northern team helps. But Huntingdon to Averett is still almost 550 miles as is Huntingdon to Methodist. That's a long trip...
Brevard was a JC in my lifetime and has a relatively small student body and alumni base ... I bet they don't have the finances (including endowment) to support far-flung travel.  I think they were taking their lumps in DII football with the likes of Carson-Newman and Lenoir-Rhyne in their conference.

hasanova

Quote from: bman on April 13, 2015, 12:05:08 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on April 08, 2015, 10:19:27 AM
Quote from: CNU85 on April 08, 2015, 09:00:34 AM
Quote from: Hawks88 on April 01, 2015, 04:07:29 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 01, 2015, 12:41:00 PM
Interesting headline:

http://www.mypanhandle.com/story/d/story/two-graceville-football-players-sign-scholarships/17360/4MJ-ygRtfUWAK8Cu4hBxIw

Simple fact checking is beyond the reach of newspapers these days... To be fair, headlines are usually written separately from the reporter who wrote the story, so it's likely the headline writer is at fault since the story does not mention scholarships.
Would have been nice if they could have spelled Huntingdon correctly too.

The bottom 50% of the class have to find jobs somewhere.....I think we found where a few of them landed.....writing headlines. It is annoying when people, who have access to thousands of readers, do not get the facts straight or can't spell the name of a college correctly.

^ ouch.

You would think it's common knowledge D3 schools don't have athletic scholarships. I mean come on..aren't there like twice as many D3 schools as D1?
The average D1 alum/football fan, has no Idea that D3 exists, other than maybe club sports.   
I spoke with a set of Florida State Alums in Talahassee last week, and we got on to the suject of football, since FSU had a scrimmage that day.   They had no idea who Mount Union or UWW was.  When I mentioned that there was indeed a D3 football championship, there was general smirking...and I have run into that elswhere.  In general, unless someone is a real football fan, D3 is not on a D1 alum's radar...
I run into Greensboro natives from time to time who ask "Does Guilford play football?"  Sigh!  The answer is yes, since 1892, but 95% of what they see or read in the local news is about DI ... and I accept we are in the middle of Tobacco Road.  I doubt Guilford and Greensboro would make the front page of the Greensboro News and Record Sports section even if they went 15-0 and won the Stagg Bowl ... although I'd love to find out! 

Scots13

Rough travel time from Brevard to the rest of the USA South:

Maryville 2:40
Huntingdon 5:30
LaGrange 4:25
Methodist 4:40
Averett 4
NC Wesleyan 3:15
Ferrum 4:20
Greensboro 3:15

Huntingdon to CNU is like 11 hours and HC to Ferrum is like 9. Ya win some, ya lose some.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on May 28, 2015, 03:18:56 PM

Averett 4

Huntingdon to CNU is like 11 hours and HC to Ferrum is like 9. Ya win some, ya lose some.
Thanks for putting this together ... I have to think Brevard to NCWC might be an error ... probably more like 5:15.

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on May 28, 2015, 04:46:53 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on May 28, 2015, 03:18:56 PM

Averett 4

Thanks for putting this together ... I have to think Brevard to NCWC might be an error ... probably more like 5:15.
It may be. I did this in haste at la oficina today. It's been a long short week.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Yep. 5:09 from Brevard to Rocky Mount
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Ralph Turner

hasanova

Hawks88

Huntingdon's current president was a vice president and dean at Brevard before coming to HC.