WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It probably doesn't matter... but I have always referenced WashU as being the UConn of DIII WBB... considering they won three-straight titles and 80+ or so games. That said, you could argue they were Tennessee and Amherst is now UConn. Of course, Thomas More (technically) winning two straight and Tufts being to four straight final fours makes the reference rather complicated. That said, Amherst has certainly done some amazing things under GP Gromacki.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

Carla Berube has a couple kids from Connecticut coming in for next year.

One, Amanda Towney from Bethel is about a 5"10, 5"11 kid that can space the floor on defense, take the outside shot and is a great interior defender.
Emily Briggs from Canton is a lights out scorer, and is a 2 time state champion, so hopefully she can continue the Jumbo's winning ways, and hopefully maybe next year actually put the ball in the baskets.

Gabby Martin from Hand high school, going to Williams, is one of the best defenders in the state of Connecticut.  Will be following their progress for the next 4 years, and good luck ladies!

Also, watch out for Sami Ashton at Conn College next year.  She didn't do as much this past year as I thought she would, but she was a terrific player at the high school level, and I think she will get going next year.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: amh63 on March 19, 2017, 02:12:51 PM
For anyone who may have missed the game, the Amherst web site on the WBB corner, there is a NCAA video replay of the game.
Apparently the game set a record.....lowest total points in a national title game.

Indeed -- should read our coverage.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

Congratulations to a former Eph on being named head coach at TCNJ. As Pat noted, this should make for interesting staff meetings since the Lions' head men's coach Matt Goldsmith is an Amherst alum.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/06/tcnj-jackson-hire

hoya73

Coach Goldsmith was a part of the selection process and is a big supporter of the new Coach.  Don't tell anyone, but even with the rivalry there is a bonding and admiration thing between the schools, until the games start.

gordonmann

Hoya73:

Yeah, that's always been my impression -- beneath the rivalry is a shared respect and often long relationships among alumni and their families. A bunch of years ago I went to the Williams/Amherst football game and the Cortland/Ithaca football game within a short period of time of each other. The NESCAC rivalry had an air of congeniality to it  -- almost as close as sibling or cousin rivalry-- while there was perceptible tension between Cortland and Ithaca.

amh63

Hoya73, gordonmann.....agreed with your thoughts wrt to Amherst vs Williams fans in general.
Nice to read that the Amherst team will be in Las Vegas this Winter.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Awfully quiet in here, but here's hoping we can get things going again with this post...

Tufts narrowly tops CNU and Amherst for the top spot in the D3hoops.com Top 25: http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2017-18/preseason
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

I checked a couple of days ago to see if the Tufts roster was out yet.  Unfortunately it wasn't, so don't know what they have this year (I know Michaela North was a senior, but that's about it) but they are going to be loaded in 2 or 3 years.  Carla Berube has done a great job of getting kids from Connecticut.  I'd still pick Amherst to win the league, mainly due to the fact the NESCAC game is at LeFrak, but it'll be a close race.

amh63

Last season. Amherst and Tufts met three times...the last one for the National Title on a neutral court.  The third time it was a blowout by Amherst after two close games in the conference.  Both teams lost three players.  North, the key one for Tufts in the front court and a key defensive guard in the backcourt.  Amherst lost the Doswell twins and the senior point guard.  Of course, one Doswell was the POY.
Having said that, Amherst brings only one player in this season.  It is rumored that there will be four talented players coming in the following year.  There are talented big front court players returning...two starters...and depth.  In the backcourt there are two point guards that won praise in the NCAA games and the rookie of the Year at a swing position.
Lots of talented, experienced wing players that can score inside and outside.   Amherst HC likes to play a fast tempo game with players that have speed and quickness and can play defense.  Imo, this season, the returning team should make another run for the Nescac title and a place in the Final Four...in Salem.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on November 01, 2017, 04:17:51 PM
Last season. Amherst and Tufts met three times...the last one for the National Title on a neutral court.  The third time it was a blowout by Amherst after two close games in the conference.  Both teams lost three players.  North, the key one for Tufts in the front court and a key defensive guard in the backcourt.  Amherst lost the Doswell twins and the senior point guard.  Of course, one Doswell was the POY.
Having said that, Amherst brings only one player in this season.  It is rumored that there will be four talented players coming in the following year.  There are talented big front court players returning...two starters...and depth.  In the backcourt there are two point guards that won praise in the NCAA games and the rookie of the Year at a swing position.
Lots of talented, experienced wing players that can score inside and outside.   Amherst HC likes to play a fast tempo game with players that have speed and quickness and can play defense.  Imo, this season, the returning team should make another run for the Nescac title and a place in the Final Four...in Salem.
Don't think it's Salem. They should have another battle with Tufts for the NESCAC crown.
Saw the Amherst HC at a couple of summer AAU tourneys. One day, he was wearing his well-earned NCAA championship t-shirt with undefeated season. Unlike the previous summer, I didn't converse with him, so I don't know who the frosh newcomer is, yet. Or, the four 2018s, either. Did email him a few days ago about a 2018 holiday tourney opening; if anything materializes, I'll let you know.

amh63

Ronk....thanks for the info.  I am aware of the FY player.....sister of a player on the team  from Ma.  She was noted in the stands in the Title Game by a NCAA announcer.  Also saw her in a brief Captain's game over Homecoming...big guard.  Anyway, she will be listed soon enough since formal practice...with coaches happened Nov.1.  Fifteen formal practice days.
The WBB team that won the Title was honored at halftime of Homecoming football game.  Received their " rings"...pixs on the Amherst athletic website.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah... WBB is a year away from Salem. They will be there in 2019 and then again in 2021 (though at the Cregger Center at Roanoke College, not the Salem Civic Center). This season is in Rochester, Minnesota.

More info moving forward found here: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/04/women-championship-on-the-move

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season has begun and tonight Hoopsville will hit the air for its 15th season!

In tonight's season premiere, Dave McHugh chats with the two preseason No. 1 teams, both national committee chairs, and gets an update on a new tournament featuring several Top 25 teams. Dave will also try and get everyone up to speed on the new season and take a look at what has already happened in early season games.

One thing fans may notice is no video for this season's debut. This is not a change in the production of the show, just a temporary decision. There has been a lot going on leading up to the premiere and not everything got up to speed in time. We hope to have actual video broadcasts return in short order. We appreciate everyone's patience.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE staring at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2017-18/nov16 --- or via the Facebook Live simulcast. If you missed any part of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcast.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Bobbi Morgan, Haverford women's coach and DIII National Basketball Committee Chair
- Tim Pitzpatrick, U.S. Coast Guard Academy Athletics Director and DIII National Basketball Committee Chair
- Eric Bridgeland, No. 1 Whitman men's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 1 Tufts women's coach
- Ryan Whitnabe, Great Lakes podcaster and Great Lakes Invitational creator

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Vandy74

While admitting that I'm as guilty as anyone, how can this board still be silent 5 games into the season?  Are Nescac women's basketball fans so jaded that it takes the postseason to pique interest enough to post?   Tufts, Amherst and Bowdoin are Top 25 quintets as usual.  Tufts and Amherst rank #1 and #3 respectively.  Williams and ConnColl are included among those also receiving votes.  At 5-0, Middlebury is clearly better than they were as last season's #4 seed. 

Speaking of the Panthers, they dominated the 4th quarter last evening by a 29-18 margin to erase a point point deficit and defeat Rensselaer 64-54.  Playing without the services of Catherine Harrison who leads the team in rebounds, the door was open for a breakout performance by sophomore F Betsy Knox whose 23 points and 9 boards were team highs.  Floor general Alex Huffman put up 13 to go with 6 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and a blocked shot.  Maya Davis had 8 points and 8 rebounds while Sabrina Weeks had 10 tallies, 4 boards and 5 blocks.  Besides Harrison,  Colleen Caveney, Sarah Kaufman and Lily Kuntz have all been among the team leaders in stats at some point in the young season, and Kira Waldman's production has been consistent  as well.  This team is deep in talent, steadily improving and fun to watch.

Rensselaer isn't short on talent either.  LaKissa Martin's 19 points led the visitors while Elisabeth Erkhardt added 15 of her own.  Kate Goodall's 12 rebounds were tops for both teams and four other Engineers gave solid contributions.  Each offense ran hot and cold.  Neither shot better than 33% from the field nor 31% from behind the arc.  Both were solid from the line, however, going a combined 29-32.  Some of the men's quintets should try emulating that statistic. 

It's been explained to me that the Nescac's scheduling policy of their men's and women's teams no longer traveling together, thereby making it impossible to watch both play on the same night 80% of the time, is both a cost saving move and one favored by the women's teams themselves.  Considering the endowments of most conference institutions that first argument makes one want to break out the violins. :'( ::)  As for it being in the best interests of the teams it's reported that 117 people attended Wednesday evening's contest in Pepin.  If that's true, 100 of them sat in the stands on the always least populated side of the arena.  This team, as well most others in the conference I expect, deserve a stronger following.