FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUPepBand

Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on December 25, 2016, 04:41:11 AM
Merry Christmas ya filthy animals...

I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dGOfFbzvq4

Keep the change, ya filthy animal!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on December 26, 2016, 08:50:44 PM

I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead!

Pep,

Is this a holiday wish or the attitude of the Saxons towards visiting teams? Happy New Year to my E8 friends and thank you for gifting the LL Ithaca College  ;D

PS This new lavender boards background is really awful
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on December 27, 2016, 09:53:13 AM

Pep,

Is this a holiday wish or the attitude of the Saxons towards visiting teams? Happy New Year to my E8 friends and thank you for gifting the LL Ithaca College  ;D

Booby's post just reminded Pep of a favorite scene from Home Alone. We welcome visitors to "The Pit" and had the pleasure of doing so on eight occasions in 2016 and will be getting six occasions in the 2017 season.

AU will open the 2017 schedule at Ithaca (always a tough opener on that heavily-watered ButterField) in a non-league game. Saxons will also continue their series with RPI and in 2017 pick up Rochester (in the Pit). Seven Empire 8 games and three non-league games against LL foes. Perhaps someday soon AU can pick up Hobart again.

2016 was a very good year but it's nearly over....Happy New Year to all!

jknezek

Not a big fan either. Thankfully it hasn't yet started showing up in purple when used on my smart phone. That is still a nice, readable, shade of blue. Trying to get used to the lavender, but...

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on December 29, 2016, 02:37:06 AM

Pep,

Booby's post just reminded Pep of a favorite scene from Home Alone. We welcome visitors to "The Pit" and had the pleasure of doing so on eight occasions in 2016 and will be getting six occasions in the 2017 season.

AU will open the 2017 schedule at Ithaca (always a tough opener on that heavily-watered ButterField) in a non-league game. Saxons will also continue their series with RPI and in 2017 pick up Rochester (in the Pit). Seven Empire 8 games and three non-league games against LL foes. Perhaps someday soon AU can pick up Hobart again.

I wish Hobart had added the Saxons as one of the OOC games, but the dance card looks full for you guys........maybe in the playoffs next year......I wish we could have made it to "The Pit" this year by beating Mount Union and Hopkins....now that would have been a glorious ride into Mayberry to hear the Pep band. Congrats on a great year for the Saxons and Happy New Year!
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on December 29, 2016, 10:23:21 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on December 29, 2016, 02:37:06 AM

Pep,

I wish Hobart had added the Saxons as one of the OOC games, but the dance card looks full for you guys........maybe in the playoffs next year......I wish we could have made it to "The Pit" this year by beating Mount Union and Hopkins....now that would have been a glorious ride into Mayberry to hear the Pep band. Congrats on a great year for the Saxons and Happy New Year!

Yes, indeed! And that would have been nice to have Hobart and Alfred vying for the semi-finals! Would be like deja vu... all over again....circa 1950s and 1970s! Pep was working on his book yesterday and was trying to figure out how to explain the back-to-back undefeated-untied seasons of 1955-1956. The 1955 finale was a match up of Alfred (7-0-0) at Hobart (6-0-1) with the Statesmen's only blemish a tie with the University of Buffalo, which AU beat, 26-14.  What a game it was at the old Boswell Field as the Saxons escaped with a 6-0 win.

You know, Bartman, I haven't really posted much about this season. Early on, Bengalsrule said he hoped that the Saxons ran the table. I told him that to date, Julio Fuentes walking off Merrill Field was the highlight of the season. I didn't know whether an undefeated AU season would top that but I was willing to give it a shot and see how I feel.

It was AU's first undefeated season in 35 years (in 1981 they went 10-0 under Sam Sanders), and 45 years since Yunie's last unbeaten season (1971 they went 8-0). It was the third unbeaten AU football season of my lifetime. Correction: fourth. I was actually born between the back-to-back undefeated seasons of 1955 and 1956, the only back-to-back in AU's long history.

It was a special season for sure. What blessed me was seeing the Saxons in the library...working hard to balance their studies and maintain their football focus at a game-by-game pace. Never heard any of them chatting about rankings or stats or records....none of that. They were all focused on the game plan and preparing to win Saturday's game...no matter who they were playing.

I am looking forward to the AU football banquet this year. I want to pull something together for the boys to let them know how proud we are of their accomplishments and encourage them to take the life lessons they have learned from their collegiate football experience and apply them to their families and careers. It's a grand day to be a Saxon.

Happy New Year!

jknezek

Whew. If Governor Cuomo gets his way, there will be some serious advantage to being a state school come recruiting time. Free tuition for families making $125K or less is huge. I know some private schools do similar, but I haven't seen that high a threshold. I believe W&L's is $75K.

Bombers798891

Quote from: jknezek on January 03, 2017, 02:03:54 PM
Whew. If Governor Cuomo gets his way, there will be some serious advantage to being a state school come recruiting time. Free tuition for families making $125K or less is huge. I know some private schools do similar, but I haven't seen that high a threshold. I believe W&L's is $75K.

Maybe, but honestly, Cortland is $8,000 to Ithaca's $41,000. Honestly, I think the tipping point has long been hit for most families with regard to this. It won't help the private schools but I don't think it will change much.

jknezek

Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 03, 2017, 05:06:16 PM

Maybe, but honestly, Cortland is $8,000 to Ithaca's $41,000. Honestly, I think the tipping point has long been hit for most families with regard to this. It won't help the private schools but I don't think it will change much.

I'd venture very fee people pay full freight at Ithaca or any private. But if the difference is 10 or 15k after scholarshis and need based aid and 0 because it's all covered on less than 125k need based, that's a huge deal...

Bombers798891

Quote from: jknezek on January 03, 2017, 07:10:41 PM

I'd venture very fee people pay full freight at Ithaca or any private. But if the difference is 10 or 15k after scholarshis and need based aid and 0 because it's all covered on less than 125k need based, that's a huge deal...

As far as Ithaca/Cortland's discount rate, here's what I've found, though it's two years old.

http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/new-york/ithaca-college/?ab=a&utm_expid=62470058-22.1fSzumVRQB69HZMnIKUVmA.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/new-york/suny-college-at-cortland/?ab=a&utm_expid=62470058-22.1fSzumVRQB69HZMnIKUVmA.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collegecalc.org%2Fcolleges%2Fnew-york%2F%3Fview%3Dall

The average annual "net" price after scholarships and grants for IC in 2014/15 was just under $34,000. Cortland's was about $16,500. Knocking $6,000 or so (Cortland's tuition's costs for 16/17) brings it to $10,000. That extra money is clearly going to matter to some families, but again, I think the tipping point has already been hit for a lot of them.

Bartman

Guess who's running for President in 2020? I think Bombers is right that the tipping point was reached many years ago, but IF passed, an extra 6k could make a difference for a few recruits....but I know Hobart can be  competitive for "need based " scholarships(including room and board ) ,  not as specific as W&L with 75K threshold....Hobart's net tuition for all freshman is 55% of retail and 20-25% of new students are full payers(many  football players are lucky to come from families that can afford full tuition and love the D3 football experience at a private school , in fact football may be a net tuition contributor)....I do think it will keep some NY recruits in state which could help the overall pool for the E8 publics....we will see if it gets passed...3 year phase in...it could be funded by state tax on natural gas drilling/exploration ;)
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

jknezek

Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 09:29:46 AM
Guess who's running for President in 2020? I think Bombers is right that the tipping point was reached many years ago, but IF passed, an extra 6k could make a difference for a few recruits....but I know Hobart can be  competitive for "need based " scholarships(including room and board ) ,  not as specific as W&L with 75K threshold....Hobart's net tuition for all freshman is 55% of retail and 20-25% of new students are full payers(many  football players are lucky to come from families that can afford full tuition and love the D3 football experience at a private school , in fact football may be a net tuition contributor)....I do think it will keep some NY recruits in state which could help the overall pool for the E8 publics....we will see if it gets passed...3 year phase in...it could be funded by state tax on natural gas drilling/exploration ;)

Yeah. I'm sure W&L uses the same ridiculously complex formulas to determine most aid, but if your family makes less than 75k (at least that was the threshold when it was announced around 5 years ago), tuition is free and room and board was mostly free. I still think it has an impact on families. Just publicity wise, more kids will apply to the state schools knowing this policy is out there and more parents will encourage it. Even if they could get a comparable deal from a private, it may not even come up to look there.

Bartman

Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2017, 10:00:30 AM

Yeah. I'm sure W&L uses the same ridiculously complex formulas to determine most aid, but if your family makes less than 75k (at least that was the threshold when it was announced around 5 years ago), tuition is free and room and board was mostly free. I still think it has an impact on families. Just publicity wise, more kids will apply to the state schools knowing this policy is out there and more parents will encourage it. Even if they could get a comparable deal from a private, it may not even come up to look there.
I think you have a valid point that it will help E8 publics recruit and keep NY recruits in state. At Hobart we will try to differentiate with a diverse liberal arts curriculum , a 10:1 student to faculty ratio, great coaching staff, the ability to play D1 lacrosse for a few multi sport athletes and the beautiful Finger Lakes Fall and Spring weather(the Winter can be spent abroad ;D)....however having a 1.5 Billion Endowment like W&L would really be sweet(my quick math says Hobart could lower our tuition by  an additional 30K per student at a 5% investment yield with that size endowment.....hmmm...  tuition free based on our current average net tuition of about 30k).....now we just need to find 1.3 Billion to add to the endowment to offer free tuition
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

jknezek

Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 12:31:52 PM

I think you have a valid point that it will help E8 publics recruit and keep NY recruits in state. At Hobart we will try to differentiate with a diverse liberal arts curriculum , a 10:1 student to faculty ratio, great coaching staff, the ability to play D1 lacrosse for a few multi sport athletes and the beautiful Finger Lakes Fall and Spring weather(the Winter can be spent abroad ;D)....however having a 1.5 Billion Endowment like W&L would really be sweet(my quick math says Hobart could lower our tuition by  an additional 30K per student at a 5% investment yield with that size endowment.....hmmm...  tuition free based on our current average net tuition of about 30k).....now we just need to find 1.3 Billion to add to the endowment to offer free tuition

W&L's endowment is a pet peeve of mine. When I applied, back in the mid-90s, the school was listed as one of the great values in college education. Still stupidly expensive, but not enough to make you pull your hair out. Since then, the sticker price has gone up because apparently it helps with rankings to have a stupid sticker price attached to your school. The net spend by student, adjusted for education inflation (way higher than real inflation), hasn't changed much, but now the school doesn't look like a value for anyone but Richie Rich.

All the while the begging and pleading for endowment donations continues. I work in finance, so I know that the proceeds from the endowment, and the usable proceeds from the endowment, are different from the actual endowment, but it still annoys me that they drive up the sticker to try and increase the prestige when the means exist to provide one of the best liberal arts educations in the country without a "race your peers" to the top cost mentality.

Bartman

Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2017, 01:17:35 PM
Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 12:31:52 PM

W&L's endowment is a pet peeve of mine. When I applied, back in the mid-90s, the school was listed as one of the great values in college education. Still stupidly expensive, but not enough to make you pull your hair out. Since then, the sticker price has gone up because apparently it helps with rankings to have a stupid sticker price attached to your school. The net spend by student, adjusted for education inflation (way higher than real inflation), hasn't changed much, but now the school doesn't look like a value for anyone but Richie Rich.

All the while the begging and pleading for endowment donations continues. I work in finance, so I know that the proceeds from the endowment, and the usable proceeds from the endowment, are different from the actual endowment, but it still annoys me that they drive up the sticker to try and increase the prestige when the means exist to provide one of the best liberal arts educations in the country without a "race your peers" to the top cost mentality.
Well said....... many would love to have W&L's financial options...I hope the football budget is generous...
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath