FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ADL70 on May 08, 2013, 10:15:36 PM
Timing?

Is it too cynical to note that it came after freshman had made deposits?

I think the timing makes sense for someone who wants a hand-picked successor.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Timing?

I think when you have more rings than fingers, you get to call your own shot with no questions asked.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

raiderguy

Timing?

Yes!

My guess is the day to day recruiting duties falls on the assistants anyway. While LK may not be on the sidelines everyday he sure will continue to be a major influence on all phases of the athletic department and it sounds like Vince will use Larry as much as he can. He will continue to work on what he has promised every student athlete that comes to Mount, a great education and a degree..........Oh and you might be able to play a little football too. ;)
WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!

HScoach

Timing?

That's not cynical.  It's genius.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

DuffMan

First Gagliardi, now Kehres.  Two huge retirements for the 2013 season!  :o

Best of luck to LK and to MUC (yeah, you will forever be MUC in my mind).  What an unbelievable coaching career.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

retagent

Two legends retire in the course of a few months. I'm pretty sure that UMU will remain a strong contender in D III. Not sure about my alma mater SJU. Let's hope that they meet in this year's Stagg. THAT would be a story. Long Live UMU! Long live SJU!

pradierguy

Timing?

A college football coach who does his best to leave his team (now son's team) in good shape upon leaving rather than blowing them off for personal ease? I'm appalled.

footballfan413

A huge congrats to Coach Kehres on his amazing career. He built a program, achieved a level of success that is second to none, and did it with such class that his W/L and championship record is only one part of his legacy.  I hope you enjoy your retirement and your lifetime of memories spent making great football players and even better men, Coach K.  I don't think anyone has done it better!
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

skunks_sidekick

:o :o :o

I was shocked to hear this yesterday, and I can tell you this came as a total surprise to everyone.  LK doesn't do anything without thinking it through, so I am sure he did what was best for him, his son, and better yet the school. 

It will be nice to know he is just "down the hall" from Vince, and I am excited to see Vince flourish as the next head coach at Mount.  KICK SOME ASS VK!

stoonk

Larry Kehres is like Smuckers Peanut Butter and Smuckers Jelly "simply the best". L.K,s record 332-24-3 over 27 years will never be matched.I gave L.K. the nickname Smuckers"  in 1998 and gave Vince Kehres the same name in 2012.VK will without a shadow of a doubt  continue winning football games as  Purple Raiders head coach and I will now refer to V.K. as "Smuckers 2".
Keep On Keeping On Smuckers2 !
KillerShark
You need not swim faster than a shark-Just faster than the person next to you !
Smuckers Peanut Butter and Jelly and Heinx Ketchup -Simply The Best !

joelmama

Here is my LK story
Heard MUC could use athletic trainers before my Soph. year and I was qualified even though I was an accounting/economics major.  Assisted that year got paid for my work study and enjoyed it.  LK calls me into his office in the spring and asks if I want to be head trainer for the school.  I said yes if they paid me a little more than the work study wage ($3.00/hr. at the time) and he agreed.  We also discussed that since I wanted to go into business it would be good experience to have some budget and buying responsibility.  I got the budget for supplies materials and had to schedule and make sure the assistant trainers (all students) were paid properly.  I  really got a lot out of this and it really helped me in my career.  LK saw that this was something I could handle and would be good for me (and him since I was doing things that he would have had to do) and made sure it happened.  (BTW I am now the president of a high tech company and lot of that has to do with this headstart I got in business).

A side note.  I graduated in 1982 visited many times in 1982-1983 until I moved to California.  I came back to Ohio in 1993 and I went to a MUC game and was visiting a friend after the game who was an assistant coach.  LK comes up to me after this long break and tells how great it is to see me and asked how my wife and kids were.  He even knew the names of my oldest and also my twin daughters.

The man is a special guy that has helped a lot people that he probably doesn't even realize.

raiderpa

I agree that Vince is ready and no matter the relationship, LK would not have passed him the job if he didn't believe it so.  I have that much confidence in his integrity.
THanks Keith for the great story...you captured the essence of the man, the program, and his legacy.  well done.

Joe Wally

Congratulations Coach Kehres!

Knightstalker

Quote from: desertraider on May 08, 2013, 02:24:19 PM
Wow. The only thing that would have made this "good" news is if he had announced he was taking over the HC job at The United States Military Academy. However, he went out the way anyone would want to - on top and on his own terms. Congrats on a GREAT career and here's to VK - Roll Raiders!

You can't spell "VicKtory" without VK!!

Why take the Army job, you said it above, he wanted to go out on top, not with another loss to Navy.  ;)

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Blutarsky

Quote from: Knightstalker on May 10, 2013, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: desertraider on May 08, 2013, 02:24:19 PM
Wow. The only thing that would have made this "good" news is if he had announced he was taking over the HC job at The United States Military Academy. However, he went out the way anyone would want to - on top and on his own terms. Congrats on a GREAT career and here's to VK - Roll Raiders!

You can't spell "VicKtory" without VK!!

Why take the Army job, you said it above, he wanted to go out on top, not with another loss to Navy.  ;)

As the parent of a West Point grad., and a UMU ROTC grad......was that really necessary?  :)
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
                         --Dean Wormer