Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sunny on March 13, 2018, 12:16:39 PM
It would be interesting. For a combination of reasons (cost, conference affiliation, gender balance), I could see field hockey and men's lacrosse getting the ax (perhaps others as well) - and that would be a real let-down in the latter's case after the program became pretty darned solid in such a short period of time.
While there is no DII team in Maryland with lacrosse (Bowie is the only one, doesn't offer it)... I would be pretty shocked if they cut lacrosse. DII is ripe for the taking in that sport, it needs more numbers, and Frostburg has had a long history. And cutting that sport in the state of Maryland... that, too, is a tough hill to climb. That could cause a revolt. Not that they wouldn't consider it, I just don't think knowing the school, state, etc. they would get very far. (You know lacrosse is the team sport of Maryland; name me the sport of Maryland [don't look it up!] and I'll give ya karma).

Frostburg has always been a weird bird. They mostly recruit to their east, but their physical geography tells a different story. Perhaps a move to Division II could potentially solve the latter issue while not having to sacrifice the former (maybe easier to get over rarely - never? - playing near your family if there's a little athletic scholarship money attached).
Weird yes, but also strong over the years. I remember playing soccer in DIII and they were a fearsome program. Had an old buddy of mine play for that team. They were always well prepared (story for another time of how our lowly team nearly took them out). Maybe a move helps them. Personally, I think it might hurt them and make them more lost where they are.

Of course, were the CAC to implode, I imagine some of the other remaining CAC state schools might have a tough time finding a conference home in DIII. This could potentially be a pretty big domino effect. We'll see.

I think there are a few dominos that could fall. I am following a bunch of "what ifs" and "have you heards" and the CAC would be in trouble, but at the same time some creative things could take place. All this really means for me is this ... my off-season is going to be just as busy as last year's especially at the start. No break for the weary. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 13, 2018, 04:58:25 PM
It would be interesting. For a combination of reasons (cost, conference affiliation, gender balance), I could see field hockey and men's lacrosse getting the ax (perhaps others as well) - and that would be a real let-down in the latter's case after the program became pretty darned solid in such a short period of time.
While there is no DII team in Maryland with lacrosse (Bowie is the only one, doesn't offer it)... I would be pretty shocked if they cut lacrosse. DII is ripe for the taking in that sport, it needs more numbers, and Frostburg has had a long history. And cutting that sport in the state of Maryland... that, too, is a tough hill to climb. That could cause a revolt. Not that they wouldn't consider it, I just don't think knowing the school, state, etc. they would get very far. (You know lacrosse is the team sport of Maryland; name me the sport of Maryland [don't look it up!] and I'll give ya karma).

Crab shucking?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 13, 2018, 05:06:19 PM

Crab shucking?

"Crab shucking"? Would that be for Maryland style (steamed) or southern (boiled)? Really, we need to know.

Gregory Sager

I dunno, my crab know-how is limited. Do you shuck crabs differently depending upon how you're going to cook them?

Caz Bombers

(You know lacrosse is the team sport of Maryland; name me the sport of Maryland [don't look it up!] and I'll give ya karma).

gonna toss out some guesses:

washing down Pit Beef with Natty Boh

calling strangers "hon"

going downyocean

accusing the NFL of fixing games against the Ravens

Gregory Sager

Boog's Barbeque eating contest?

Barry Levinson films quote-off?

Reciting the names of all of the state's peninsulas and panhandles?

monsoon

Looked it up. Never would have guessed.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: monsoon on March 13, 2018, 07:10:07 PM
Looked it up. Never would have guessed.
Had to look it up too... I wonder if any politicians ever partake in the state sport. The public might pay more attention to government happenings if they did
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

sunny

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 13, 2018, 04:58:25 PMDII is ripe for the taking in that sport, it needs more numbers, and Frostburg has had a long history. And cutting that sport in the state of Maryland... that, too, is a tough hill to climb. That could cause a revolt. Not that they wouldn't consider it, I just don't think knowing the school, state, etc. they would get very far.

Frostburg's current incarnation of men's lacrosse was announced in 2009 and took the field in 2011. They previously had a team from 1970 to 78. I wouldn't call that a "long history." They have had women's lacrosse for quite a while. I don't think it'd be a popular decision, but as a conference orphan in Division II, a relatively expensive sport, and as the relative "new kid on the block" in terms of athletics*, if they were to cut sports in a move to DII, I'd think it'd be a prime candidate. Field hockey is probably even more likely, but they're not going to cut a women's sport without cutting a men's one.

Of course, perhaps they can go DII without cutting anything. Or maybe they don't go at all. All speculative at this point.

*One thing that men's lacrosse does have going for it is that alumni base from the 70s as well as the recent alums from the 2010s skew in the, shall we say, "giving" direction in terms of demographics. They may not have decades and decades of alums, but they may have some sway.

If conference/regional sport sponsorship wasn't a factor, maybe I'd speculate on baseball/softball. Fields are single-use and take up a lot of space and Frostburg's climate doesn't lend itself to a lot of early-season home games ... but that hasn't stopped their baseball team from finding success. Plus, the Mountain East sponsors both sports and baseball, for sure, has a strong alumni base.

Track/Cross Country? Fairly cost-effective sports once you have the facility. Tennis? Don't think there's a ton of cost savings there. Hard to come up with other candidates IF they had to cut.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The answer for those who didn't look it up... jousting.

Rich history of the sport and such here in Maryland, believe it or not.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sunny on March 14, 2018, 07:21:54 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 13, 2018, 04:58:25 PMDII is ripe for the taking in that sport, it needs more numbers, and Frostburg has had a long history. And cutting that sport in the state of Maryland... that, too, is a tough hill to climb. That could cause a revolt. Not that they wouldn't consider it, I just don't think knowing the school, state, etc. they would get very far.

Frostburg's current incarnation of men's lacrosse was announced in 2009 and took the field in 2011. They previously had a team from 1970 to 78. I wouldn't call that a "long history." They have had women's lacrosse for quite a while. I don't think it'd be a popular decision, but as a conference orphan in Division II, a relatively expensive sport, and as the relative "new kid on the block" in terms of athletics*, if they were to cut sports in a move to DII, I'd think it'd be a prime candidate. Field hockey is probably even more likely, but they're not going to cut a women's sport without cutting a men's one.

Of course, perhaps they can go DII without cutting anything. Or maybe they don't go at all. All speculative at this point.

*One thing that men's lacrosse does have going for it is that alumni base from the 70s as well as the recent alums from the 2010s skew in the, shall we say, "giving" direction in terms of demographics. They may not have decades and decades of alums, but they may have some sway.

If conference/regional sport sponsorship wasn't a factor, maybe I'd speculate on baseball/softball. Fields are single-use and take up a lot of space and Frostburg's climate doesn't lend itself to a lot of early-season home games ... but that hasn't stopped their baseball team from finding success. Plus, the Mountain East sponsors both sports and baseball, for sure, has a strong alumni base.

Track/Cross Country? Fairly cost-effective sports once you have the facility. Tennis? Don't think there's a ton of cost savings there. Hard to come up with other candidates IF they had to cut.

Yeah - I was combining the two lacrosses for a general point, not specific.

And again, DII is ripe for the taking in lacrosse since it has such a small foothold. I also think for a Maryland school to drop it would be a tough sell. Imagine dropping hockey in Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota. That said, ice hockey doesn't even exist in DII which is another conversation altogether when it comes to schools transitioning up and down divisions as a result.

sunny

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 14, 2018, 02:11:03 PM
Quote from: sunny on March 14, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Yeah - I was combining the two lacrosses for a general point, not specific.

And again, DII is ripe for the taking in lacrosse since it has such a small foothold. I also think for a Maryland school to drop it would be a tough sell. Imagine dropping hockey in Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota. That said, ice hockey doesn't even exist in DII which is another conversation altogether when it comes to schools transitioning up and down divisions as a result.

I get it, though I had specifically brought up men's lacrosse (not women's lacrosse which I am assuming either that OR  field hockey - or both? - would need to continue in order to counter-balance the football scholarships ...). It's hard to find "easy cuts" for Frostburg (assuming there's no way they'd drop football) - which, if they are committed to maintaining 21 sports, may keep them away from Division II.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 14, 2018, 02:08:47 PM
The answer for those who didn't look it up... jousting.

Rich history of the sport and such here in Maryland, believe it or not.

Jousting. Now that's a sport for intercollegiate competition.   :P

Gregory Sager