FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightstalker

Quote from: Warren Thompson on December 01, 2012, 03:22:55 PM
Mt. Union 72, Widener 17. Final

There just might be some knowing smiles in Wilkes-Barre.  ;)

Karma can be a real bitch can't she Warren?   :D

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

phil

A knowing smile from here in Texas after seeing that score! ;D

HScoach

Quote from: Knightstalker on December 01, 2012, 07:56:02 PM

Well, from my pressbox perch sitting right above the Widener fans, I did enjoy the irony of a fan base whose team beat an opponent 90-0 complaining about being on the wrong end of a big score. 

Widener is a good team that just into a buzzsaw today.   Mount has a nasty way of making good teams look really average if you make mistakes.  And if you're going to be one dimensional against Mount, it better not be a passing only offense.  The Mount D is built to defend the spread passing game that Widener plays.  We see that in the OAC a lot and practice against it every day.  The teams that give Mount trouble are those with size & strength up front with a strong running game as the D is built around speed, not size and strength up front.

I was impressed with A Davis at WR.  He's a stud.  And the Widener secondary played the Mount receivers much better than any team has this year.  Mount usually is a very vertical passing team but they couldn't get anyone free and had to switch to a more ball control underneath style.  Overall the Pride are a young team and if you can find a replacement QB and strengthen the O-line a little, I'm sure we'll see you in next year's playoffs.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

raiderpa

I echo the comments by HS Coach,  our resident Mount expert.  I mentioned to a couple Pride fans at the half that they had taken away our vertical passing game, and they looked at me incredulously...but seriously, they made Mount switch its attack, which no one has been able to do.  Fortunately, Mount has the versatility to change on the run as most teams cannot.  Burke gives them that option; for a sophomore he is amazingly mature and has a handle on the offense that usually takes much longer to grasp.  Anthony Davis is a great player and the qb did a decent job, I just wondered why Weidner got away from the three step drop and short passing game in the middle two quarters, it was effective.  I also liked wojohoweitz (sp)  he was a real tough competitor and was always around the ball.  The Weidner receiving corp was solid as well and I look for the Pride to be back in the thick of things with the youth they put on the field.  Finding a qb will be big.
Happy holidays to Pride fans, was nice to meet a few of you.

bman

Guys
Thanks for the feedback and the observations.  It is a young team overall, but recruiting replacements for the key losses will be critical.  Hopefully they can build on the momentum.
Interesting to hear your comments on UMU changing the game plan, since it was not really apparent to those of us who have not seen UMU play recently.

Good luck next week, and beyond.

wesleydad

Quote from: bman on December 01, 2012, 11:33:27 PM
Guys
Thanks for the feedback and the observations.  It is a young team overall, but recruiting replacements for the key losses will be critical.  Hopefully they can build on the momentum.
Interesting to hear your comments on UMU changing the game plan, since it was not really apparent to those of us who have not seen UMU play recently.

Good luck next week, and beyond.

bman, good season for the pride this year.  the issues that mount exposed yesterday were ones that you and i talked about previously and the result was not surprising.  real good wr, one of the best in the country in my opinion.  nice run, enjoy it and have a nice holiday.  at least there is a good chance that one of us will be saying that our team lost to the national champion.   :)

HScoach

bman:  One other suggestion for next year.  Find a RB and feed him the ball.  I don't care who your QB is and how good the WR's are, 8 designed rushing plays against 65+ called passes is not going to win deep in the playoffs.  The defenses are too good to be that one dimensional.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: HScoach on December 01, 2012, 10:46:14 PM
Quote from: Knightstalker on December 01, 2012, 07:56:02 PM

Well, from my pressbox perch sitting right above the Widener fans, I did enjoy the irony of a fan base whose team beat an opponent 90-0 complaining about being on the wrong end of a big score. 

Widener is a good team that just into a buzzsaw today.   Mount has a nasty way of making good teams look really average if you make mistakes.  And if you're going to be one dimensional against Mount, it better not be a passing only offense.  The Mount D is built to defend the spread passing game that Widener plays.  We see that in the OAC a lot and practice against it every day.  The teams that give Mount trouble are those with size & strength up front with a strong running game as the D is built around speed, not size and strength up front.

I was impressed with A Davis at WR.  He's a stud.  And the Widener secondary played the Mount receivers much better than any team has this year.  Mount usually is a very vertical passing team but they couldn't get anyone free and had to switch to a more ball control underneath style.  Overall the Pride are a young team and if you can find a replacement QB and strengthen the O-line a little, I'm sure we'll see you in next year's playoffs.

A great passing game should be able to beat anyone.  Can't you say that MUC simply hasn't fased a great passing game?

WUDLINE

Pat-
Had a quick question regarding the all region team. Might be a little biased but I really believed that A. Davis of WU'S was deserving of a first team nominee as either a ret. or wr. Are the other receivers stats that much better? Also, surprised that Haupt was not listed in the top three qb's in the east. Looks like Widener received very little respect for a team that made it to the great 8.

bman

Quote from: WUDLINE on December 05, 2012, 08:15:45 PM
Pat-
Had a quick question regarding the all region team. Might be a little biased but I really believed that A. Davis of WU'S was deserving of a first team nominee as either a ret. or wr. Are the other receivers stats that much better? Also, surprised that Haupt was not listed in the top three qb's in the east. Looks like Widener received very little respect for a team that made it to the great 8.
WUDLINE

Jump over to the Liberty League...you should get some perspective from the discussion over there...

What's your take on 2013 for WU?

WUDLINE

Bman
They have a lot of talent returning, including (from what I hear) L.Robinson who is still in school but needed to sit out the year. Big problem will be replacing Qb, Cambpell is an excellent athlete, and good runner but does not throw a great ball.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bman on December 05, 2012, 08:56:46 PM
Pat-
WUDLINE

Jump over to the Liberty League...you should get some perspective from the discussion over there...

Not sure how that conversation is relevant, since that's about a multi-region award and this is an East Region award. Everyone here will be from the East Region. :)

Agreed about Haupt -- and it's amazing how good those four quarterbacks are. And Castleton's QB got some support in the voting as well.

Thing about Haupt that probably pushed people off was the 16 interceptions, which was most among that group of five.

Among wide receivers, I could see where Boyle perhaps might be one to question, but he did have 17 catches for 178 yards against the best team on the schedule. That speaks volumes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pumkinattack

I'm actually more interested in how the conversation shakes out when it comes to NESCAC players.  They're D3 and in the East, but in a closed system.  We have the conversation every year about how good are the teams in the NESCAC, and OOC games only represent 20-30% of a teams schedule, but without any interconference play, how does anyone evaluate the relative quality of those guys vs. everyone else?  Especially the positions that aren't stat driven (OL, DT, secondary). 

Not disputing any picks, just another reason many question the relationship between them and the rest of the D3 eastern universe.  I guess you could make a nearly similar claim about the relatively closed NEFC too, but there's a little OOC play at least. 

Pat Coleman

Can't ignore them, but can't evaluate them based on non-conference games, this is true. I think we have to take on faith that a NESCAC football team is somewhat equivalent to the ones in the Liberty League that are most similar in the region.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 05, 2012, 10:22:44 PM
Quote from: bman on December 05, 2012, 08:56:46 PM
Pat-
WUDLINE

Not sure how that conversation is relevant, since that's about a multi-region award and this is an East Region award. Everyone here will be from the East Region. :)Agreed about Haupt -- and it's amazing how good those four quarterbacks are. And Castleton's QB got some support in the voting as well.

Thing about Haupt that probably pushed people off was the 16 interceptions, which was most among that group of five.

Among wide receivers, I could see where Boyle perhaps might be one to question, but he did have 17 catches for 178 yards against the best team on the schedule. That speaks volumes.

Sorry, was still riled up over the Gag stats.... ::)