What Division III sport should we add a board for next?

Started by Pat Coleman, January 30, 2006, 02:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are e-sports a sport?

Like chess and football, one practices, competes, gets coaching, follow rules, there is a clear winner...
1 (100%)
To be considered a sport, do you need to sweat during the activity?  If so, why is golf a sport?
1 (100%)
If e-sports are not a sport, what is a close comparison?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Bob Maxwell

I think that there are interest groups for all of the sports in the survey... it just depends what part of the country, and what sport your background is in (or what your kids play) that determines your interest.
My wife and I coached college volleyball for 18 years and have voted for volleyball... as it is one of the most athletic sports there is.  I can hear the comments now, yes all sports have their own skill sets.
I think you can start a board for several of the sports mentioned and see what the interest levels are... if they are active, keep them... if they are not, drop them if the work load is too high.
Bob

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There are boards for several of the sports listed.  I agree with you, volleyball should be next.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on December 17, 2006, 08:04:58 AM
I think that there are interest groups for all of the sports in the survey... it just depends what part of the country, and what sport your background is in (or what your kids play) that determines your interest.
My wife and I coached college volleyball for 18 years and have voted for volleyball... as it is one of the most athletic sports there is.  I can hear the comments now, yes all sports have their own skill sets.
I think you can start a board for several of the sports mentioned and see what the interest levels are... if they are active, keep them... if they are not, drop them if the work load is too high.
Bob
Bob, is there not a comparable website with news reports, conference updates and message boards in the "collegiate volleyball community"?

Bob Maxwell

yes there are boards that discuss volleyball, club, HS, Collegiate... But there are boards like that for all sports, so why does this board thrive?  Because it talks about D-III sports...  most collegiate boards talk almost exclusively about D-I, and more specifically the BIG conference teams.
This board is about D-III... which makes it  very interesting.  We are here for the same reasons as the athletes who compete on this level... we love it, not for the money.

PrideFan1986

M and L

eh, it all depends what sport is in season, but vollyball.   How many colleges have V-Ball in D3.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing V-Ball and watching it, but what is there to talk about. 

Now Wrrestling, there is something to talk about.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: M and L on January 29, 2007, 06:21:54 PM
eh, it all depends what sport is in season, but vollyball.   How many colleges have V-Ball in D3.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing V-Ball and watching it, but what is there to talk about. 

Now Wrrestling, there is something to talk about.

These numbers may be out of date (2004?), but volleyball was second only to basketball with 411 schools (plus 41 for men's volleyball.  Wrestling involved only 99 schools.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I would hope volleyball is the next one, but since it's in the fall, don't expect to see it too soon.

M and L

not to be sexually bias or anything, but with v-ball being a fall sport and all the men posting on football.  Who is going to post on V-ball?  That just leaves a selected few men and then women.  How many women post on here?  I just don't see the market for v-ball i guess.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There's plenty of market for it, especially because there aren't yet volleyball fans on the site too much.  Volleyball is probably my favorite sport to watch and follow, but there really isn't much of an avenue.  This could provide that in some small manner.  I just like that the action is constantly moving and with the adoption of international rules, the scoring can happen any time and the game is constantly moving.

And not to be sexist either, but I was able to get plenty of my "volleyball deficient" friends in college to come with me to away matches by simply saying "hot chicks in spandex."

Like it or not, it's a big draw.

Bob Maxwell

I think that over time the volleyball would grow with the posts... it would just need to be made aware to the VB community that it exists.  I think that has happened with each new board that has been created.  Obviously with out people knowing about it there would be very little activity.

The nubmers alone bear it out... that it should be at least offered.  It is the number two sport behind basketball in participation in NCAA, not just the D-III level.

Interesing comments about how Hoops fan got his friends to go watch games.... I can say that when I coached, i was accused of recruting with a camera and modeling contracts in hand.  I always rebutted and challenged those comments as they were sexist and the ladies on the team were like daughters to my wife (the assitant coach) an dmyself.   It was just the body type that played the game... tall and thin.

I thikn that any sport is deserving of a board... and over time the when the community of the board knows about it, discussion will pick up.

I don't think football posters would post on a volleyball board, but they may on a wrestling one as many people are involved in both sports.

This happens with the other boards too... some of the baseball regions have a lot of posting traffic, while others have very little.  Not becuase of a lack of interest, but becuase of few people in a particular area knowing about the boards...

mybleedinghands

volleyball is a hell of a sport to watch regardless fo which gender is participating. if i lived on campus i'd be at every LC volleyball game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not as big a fan of men's volleyball.  Too much power and no finesse.  There's no art to it.  Some people like that, but it's just not for me.  Not to mention that there are very few men's volleyball teams on a varsity level.

Pat Coleman

If we added a board for volleyball, do you think the AVCA would promote it? Would D-III volleyball fans find out about it?

That's one of the factors I consider when looking at this stuff. I'm not sure we have a lot of fans already coming here who would cross over to volleyball. I wouldn't want volleyball boards to end up like women's lacrosse.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 31, 2007, 02:02:45 PM
If we added a board for volleyball, do you think the AVCA would promote it? Would D-III volleyball fans find out about it?

That's one of the factors I consider when looking at this stuff. I'm not sure we have a lot of fans already coming here who would cross over to volleyball. I wouldn't want volleyball boards to end up like women's lacrosse.
Baseball was slow last year.  This year it is getting a lot of postings.  I'm not a baseball fan, but I have been reading the SCIAC and National topics.

Volleyball might work out the same.
Fierce When Roused