FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Quote from: ITH radio on April 08, 2019, 12:54:31 PM
We have some news re IC we plan to "break" via our April pod which we recorded over the wkd and a little later today. Hopefully it'll be "in the can" and ready for release mid-week.

Could it involve a certain "high profile" transfer?
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Oline89

Quote from: UfanBill on April 08, 2019, 02:26:53 PM
We have some news re IC we plan to "break" via our April pod which we recorded over the wkd and a little later today. Hopefully it'll be "in the can" and ready for release mid-week.

Could it involve a certain "high profile" transfer?

I know of at least  one high profile player out there, who hasn't named a landing spot yet.....yikes

Caz Bombers

1) Ithaca to the MIAC, St. Thomas to the LL

2) installing field turf on Dillingham Fountain

3) an eldritch incantation to return Zombie Jim Butterfield to the plane of the living has been discovered and spoken, where he will loose a plague of the undead upon Cortland's campus and in the process, raise their USN&WR ranking a dozen places

jamtod

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 08, 2019, 03:45:49 PM

3) an eldritch incantation to return Zombie Jim Butterfield to the plane of the living has been discovered and spoken, where he will loose a plague of the undead upon Cortland's campus and in the process, raise their USN&WR ranking a dozen places

+k on #1
I hear the schools are going to switch coaches too, since UST coach Glenn Caruso is an Ithaca-lum

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 08, 2019, 03:45:49 PM

+k for the imagination......I would add the next Cortaca game at MetLife stadium as #4....whoa , that's actually true :o
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on April 08, 2019, 10:29:48 AM
I went to the final Hobart Spring practice this past weekend.  All practices have been held in the new dome.  The team has taken full advantage of the new facility, rather than freezing their tails off at 530 AM in the Geneva darkness, they have been indoors running drills at full speed.  I am sure it has helped the skill position guys with timing of the offense, the defense was able to run full speed against the offense, and even special teams were able to practice kicks and punts.
Sounds nice ....I hope it doesn't make them too soft! Practicing in the rain and cold gets them ready for the real games ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

The banter over on the MIAC website regarding the potential ouster of St Thomas has made for really interesting football debate the past few days.  The LL does have some pretty significant disparities in enrollment, and endowments, but is not in any way as lopsided as the MIAC (or the Centennial, for that matter), in regards to athletic success.  Opinions?

ITH radio

Frank and I cover this in our next pod (which is in the can finally, just needs editing). The E8 kind of has come full circle with the complaining about and booting of state schools to having them represent about half of the conference now. NJAC saw some of that too. LL has pretty much always been private but needed Buff St to keep the AQ. Overall there has been enough parity across the east to keep a true "super power" from evolving - sure we've seen some teams like Hobart, BP, Wesley, etc have runs, but overall I can't see a scenario in the ER where this UST / MIAC fracture could happen.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:08:51 PM
The banter over on the MIAC website regarding the potential ouster of St Thomas has made for really interesting football debate the past few days.  The LL does have some pretty significant disparities in enrollment, and endowments, but is not in any way as lopsided as the MIAC (or the Centennial, for that matter), in regards to athletic success.  Opinions?

I don't get what the issue is in the MIAC.  It is clear on my end that enrollment or endowment doesn't really have any impact on athletic success, but the funding for athletics might have an impact.  The LL is different in a sense that half the league as d1 programs that must play a factor in athletic budgeting or focus.  It isn't like St. Thomas can recruit nationally, and the small liberal arts schools in that league are similar to Williams and MIddlebury (top d3 athletic programs) in that they can recruit nationally.

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on April 09, 2019, 01:18:49 PM
Frank and I cover this in our next pod (which is in the can finally, just needs editing). The E8 kind of has come full circle with the complaining about and booting of state schools to having them represent about half of the conference now. NJAC saw some of that too. LL has pretty much always been private but needed Buff St to keep the AQ. Overall there has been enough parity across the east to keep a true "super power" from evolving - sure we've seen some teams like Hobart, BP, Wesley, etc have runs, but overall I can't see a scenario in the ER where this UST / MIAC fracture could happen.

It seems the UofR is the only team that hasn't had any real success in the recent past, but with their endowment, enrollment size and reputation, that could be a relatively quick fix.  As I have looked over the E8/LL teams, I am surprised that Hartwick didn't volunteer to make the switch to the LL.  They seem to be a little more in line with the LL school profile.  Of course, I have no idea how the shuffling between the E8 and LL was determined in the first place.

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 01:39:39 PM

I don't get what the issue is in the MIAC.  It is clear on my end that enrollment or endowment doesn't really have any impact on athletic success, but the funding for athletics might have an impact.  The LL is different in a sense that half the league as d1 programs that must play a factor in athletic budgeting or focus.  It isn't like St. Thomas can recruit nationally, and the small liberal arts schools in that league are similar to Williams and MIddlebury (top d3 athletic programs) in that they can recruit nationally.

It seems to me that the "have nots" in the MIAC have no interest in an arms race with St Thomas.  It has to be miserable for all involved (players, coaches, alumni) to accept that a 60+ point beat down 3-4 times a season is standard.  But the reaction to kick the dominant team out is a slippery slope.  It seems the move made by former members of the LL to join a less competitive conference, rather than engage in a losing battle is a better choice.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:58:56 PM

It seems to me that the "have nots" in the MIAC have no interest in an arms race with St Thomas.  It has to be miserable for all involved (players, coaches, alumni) to accept that a 60+ point beat down 3-4 times a season is standard.  But the reaction to kick the dominant team out is a slippery slope.  It seems the move made by former members of the LL to join a less competitive conference, rather than engage in a losing battle is a better choice.

Yea but is football the only issue?  I pointed out on that MIAC board that although St. Thomas is ranked high in the d3 "sears cup" standings, the other academic/small schools are pretty highly ranked as well. 

jamtod

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 02:07:30 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:58:56 PM

Yea but is football the only issue?  I pointed out on that MIAC board that although St. Thomas is ranked high in the d3 "sears cup" standings, the other academic/small schools are pretty highly ranked as well.

Not the only, certainly, but it seems to be a high profile catalyst, from those who dislike Caruso and UST football's methods to compete on a national level, as has been rehashed on several of the PP boards in the past.

Jonny Utah

It is midweek.  Roll it out!