MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bball1122

None of the 5 losses is "inexcusable".

UWEC may be the shakiest of the bunch, but they beat Winona State in an exhibition game.
Bethany is the best team in the UMAC, and has a bona fide stud in transfer Trenton Krueger.
St. Thomas is still a very good MIAC team.
SJU is a top 10 team in the country.
Hamline has struggled a bit, but has also beaten UST, taken St. John's to the horn, and won a neutral site game against a top 5 team in the country (Williams). 

All in all, each loss in and of itself isn't bad, but taken together, it's a rougher stretch than many predicted for them.   I do think that their guards are their weakness, and when teams are able to slow the bigs and Stritzel isn't hitting, they don't really have a way to create any offense.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is always an exciting and surprising point in the season. The midway point. We are already halfway through another thrilling Division III basketball season. The best part, we have plenty more basketball to come. The hard part, we are also closer to the season coming to a close.

On Thursday night's Hoopsville, Dave will try and pull out his crystal ball and read the tea leaves on who can sustain their momentum, who may fall off, and which teams could make a run to the end. While we won't have all the answers, some of Dave's guests will be able to give us their insight on their own squad's chances.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7pm here: http://bit.ly/2D3pOrw.

A reminder the Thursday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the East, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, and West regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Matt Croci, No. 10 Wittenberg men's coach
- Jim Scheible, No. 7 Rochester women's coach
- Lori Kerans, Millikin women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Danny Young-Uhrich, No. 17 Juniata women's
- Pat McKenzie, No. 15 St. John's men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: bball1122 on January 11, 2018, 02:59:43 PM

UWEC may be the shakiest of the bunch, but they beat Winona State in an exhibition game.
Bethany is the best team in the UMAC, and has a bona fide stud in transfer Trenton Krueger.
Hamline has struggled a bit, but has also beaten UST, taken St. John's to the horn, and won a neutral site game against a top 5 team in the country (Williams). 

All in all, each loss in and of itself isn't bad, but taken together, it's a rougher stretch than many predicted for them.   I do think that their guards are their weakness, and when teams are able to slow the bigs and Stritzel isn't hitting, they don't really have a way to create any offense.

You're right, inexcusable is probably too strong of a term.  I would still expect any team in the top half of the MIAC to be able to handle any UMAC team.  Bethany lost to Olaf, who is certainly having a respectable season, but I don't think anyone would regard them as a MIAC power.

More so, I find it surprising that they were able to be on the verge of beating SJU (and UWRF, FWIW), who I think is a very, very good team, and still have some of the struggles that they've had against other squads recently.

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 12, 2018, 09:24:01 AM

You're right, inexcusable is probably too strong of a term.  I would still expect any team in the top half of the MIAC to be able to handle any UMAC team.  Bethany lost to Olaf, who is certainly having a respectable season, but I don't think anyone would regard them as a MIAC power.

More so, I find it surprising that they were able to be on the verge of beating SJU (and UWRF, FWIW), who I think is a very, very good team, and still have some of the struggles that they've had against other squads recently.
Losing to Olaf puts you in pretty good company this year.  Massey has them 35th thanks in part to their dominant wins over Eau Claire and Stevens Point.

GoldandBlueBU

Speaking of MIAC - UMAC - AO - did you ever hear why the BU - UNWSP games were discontinued?

There were some (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years) good games there until they stopped playing last year, and seems to make a lot of sense as a natural fun but competitive rivalry.

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 12, 2018, 10:26:08 AM
Speaking of MIAC - UMAC - AO - did you ever hear why the BU - UNWSP games were discontinued?

There were some (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years) good games there until they stopped playing last year, and seems to make a lot of sense as a natural fun but competitive rivalry.
I haven't bothered to ask recently. The women played a great game this year.   I'm sure it'll get back on the schedule soon.  Would be fun to make it the first game of the season.

bball1122

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 12, 2018, 09:24:01 AM

Carleton's bigs are a nightmare matchup for most teams, and that allows them to play with most teams.  They also are deliberate offensively and very good defensively (2nd best PPG defense, 3rd best FG% defense, 2nd in rebounding margin), so they can almost always control tempo.  The problem is, they don't have any guards/wings that can create consistently, they can't shoot 3s, and they are turning it over a ton for a Carleton team.  They are averaging 14.8 TO's per game in conference, 3rd worst.  They've only made 37 3's in 8 conference games, worst in the conference, and Strizel has 18 of those.  No one else that plays consistently is a shooter.  Farmer, Johnson, and Bensen are all solid defenders and play well within their system offensively, but they really aren't threats to score.  It's hard to generate offense through your bigs when you only have 1 shooter and your guards can't get to the FT line (or convert when they get there). 

SJU has been dominant so far this year, leading the conference in FG%, 3FG%, FG% DEF, and rebounding margin.  They're really good.

Saturday's five games all have significance in their own way:

SMU @ MAC - the stoppable force vs. the movable object.
SJU @ AUGS - Johnnies want some separation at the top, Auggies want to show they are a legit conference title contender.
CAR @ CORD - Carleton needs to right the ship, but it's never easy to win in Moorhead.
STO @ UST - Olaf off to a good start, UST is coming on, which one takes the step toward the upper tier?
GAC @ BET - GAC has to feel great about where they are right now, Bethel still loaded with talent.   Honestly, a GAC win almost guarantees them a playoff spot (hard to mess up an 8-2 first half).

txg

Quote from: bball1122 on January 12, 2018, 12:04:12 PM
Carleton's bigs are a nightmare matchup for most teams, and that allows them to play with most teams.  They also are deliberate offensively and very good defensively (2nd best PPG defense, 3rd best FG% defense, 2nd in rebounding margin), so they can almost always control tempo.  The problem is, they don't have any guards/wings that can create consistently, they can't shoot 3s, and they are turning it over a ton for a Carleton team.  They are averaging 14.8 TO's per game in conference, 3rd worst.  They've only made 37 3's in 8 conference games, worst in the conference, and Strizel has 18 of those.  No one else that plays consistently is a shooter.  Farmer, Johnson, and Bensen are all solid defenders and play well within their system offensively, but they really aren't threats to score.  It's hard to generate offense through your bigs when you only have 1 shooter and your guards can't get to the FT line (or convert when they get there).

This is an excellent analysis.

GoldandBlueBU

;D

It would be quite the statement if Augsburg were able to knock off SJU.  Not saying it can't happen, but they certainly didn't look the part of "contender" the other night against BU.

It would take 1 - a monster game from Olmshceid, which is certainly possible, but I feel like Walford might be decently suited to guard him, and 2 - Augsburg would have to find a way to slow down the varied scorers that SJU has.  That, IMO is the harder part of the 2 requirements.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 12, 2018, 02:15:52 PM

;D

It would be quite the statement if Augsburg were able to knock off SJU.  Not saying it can't happen, but they certainly didn't look the part of "contender" the other night against BU.

It would take 1 - a monster game from Olmshceid, which is certainly possible, but I feel like Walford might be decently suited to guard him, and 2 - Augsburg would have to find a way to slow down the varied scorers that SJU has.  That, IMO is the harder part of the 2 requirements.

As expected, too many options for the  Johnnies as they knock off Augsburg.  Certainly didn't help the case that Olmscheid had a clunker of a game at 4-17 FG, 0-6 3PT FG and 2-2 on free throws.

Royals jumped out to a big lead against the Gusties and pretty much nursed a 10-14 point lead most of the way after that.  Pair of tough matchups this week playing @ UST on wednesday, and @ Carleton on Saturday.  Splitting those games would seem like a reasonable expectation...

Retired Old Rat

Good first half for the Johnnies in front of a full house.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Smitty Oom

Good to see Stokman playing today. Announcers said that he had the flu earlier this week against MAC. They obviously didnt need them in their game agaisnt the Scots. Also, fun to hear Coach Smith on the mic for Johnnies broadcast!

It should be said that the Tommies are getting better with each game. Should be a fun second half!

Elsewhere:

Augsburg is in a close battle with MAC at half..... ruh-roh Auggies.

Carleton is currently tied at 38 with BU, which is a huge game for Bethel's potential Pool C shot and both teams playoff seeding.

Retired Old Rat

Big win for the Johnnies today. Feels weird to be the favorite vs UST. I was fearful it might be some kind of jinx.

When was the last time the Js were favored over UST?

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

faunch

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on January 20, 2018, 03:49:38 PM
Big win for the Johnnies today. Feels weird to be the favorite vs UST. I was fearful it might be some kind of jinx.

I don't know but have the Tommie$ been practicing w/ the football team? They were very physical. Any chance there were more fans in the house than there are for some of the Tommie$ home football games (not the "OFF-CAMPUS HOME GAMES" of course!  :P

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Smitty Oom

Quote from: faunch on January 20, 2018, 04:22:18 PM
Quote from: Retired Old Rat on January 20, 2018, 03:49:38 PM

I don't know but did have the Tommie$ been practicing w/ the football team? They were very physical. Any chance there were more fans in the house than there are for some of the Tommie$ home football games (not the "OFF-CAMPUS HOME GAMES" of course!  :P

Tommies always play a very physical style of game. I thought they looked solid today, getting Veil/Hannon/Bair back playing together is huge for them. But they just don't have as much offensive fire power to stay with the Johnnies this year. Finally Stokman played like he did last year, he is so fun to watch. Should have known he was going to step up at home against the Toms. I really do think that the Johnnies have a great shot at going far in the NCAAs this year.