FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hamiltonian

Hey, I have big hopes for Hamilton, too.  I'm just saying that it's a tougher hill to climb than for Williams and Wesleyan.  Good coaching, good attitude, a belief in the program, and then a core group of skilled and determined athletes, and yes, regardless of size--all of these make a difference.  At Hamilton it's been the difference between 0-8  three years running and now moving into the upper-mid-ranks of the league and looking at a shot at the first winning season in over two decades.  And this trend has occurred under Murray and has to be explained by his presence.  but moving into the top tier in the league will require Hamilton punching above its weight, literally as well as figuratively, which I don't think anyone would say of Trinity/Amherst/Wesleyan/Tufts/Williams.  Middlebury has been the one exception, which shows that even a team not advantaged by geography, school size, and national rep (though Middlebury does have quite the rep), can build a successful program.  Let's see if Murray can do that with the Conts.  I'm a believer.

frank uible

ColbyFootball

My thoughts on recruiting are pretty simple, and they are beliefs I've held for a long time.

1) Believe in your program and the great qualities it possesses. Find kids that place your schools great qualities high on their list.
2) Look for quality athletes, but above all find character kids that are team guys.
3) Believe that your program is, or will be, the best of the best on the field, and sell to the kids that they should be part of it.
4) Make each recruit feel as though he's your most important recruit, and that you want him more than any other program out there.
5) Don't sell a kid a Bill of Goods to get him to commit to your program because it will inevitably come back to bite you. Believe in what
    you're selling. A great college football program and college. It's always easier to sell a product or service you believe in.
6) Find a way to at least be competitive asap, and if you can start winning quickly like Wes and Tufts did, that's even better.
7) And most importantly, OUT WORK EVERY OTHER COACH ALL YEAR LONG.

Nescacman

Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 17, 2018, 03:58:57 PM
At Hamilton it's been the difference between 0-8  three years running and now moving into the upper-mid-ranks of the league and looking at a shot at the first winning season in over two decades.

Whoa....now hold on....let's not get carried away. We'll call it like it is. Until HAM actually lives up to all of the hype espoused on this Board the last two days, we would clearly place them at the top of the "have not's" of the NESCAC. Still a long way from being a "have". There are no "mid-ranks" and if there were, it would not include the Conts. They are 2-3. One of their wins was against a Wesleyan team they clearly caught napping. The other win was against a Bowdoin squad who has one of the worst defenses in recent memory in the NESCAC. The most likely scenario for this Team is 4-5 but with two long trips to Maine still on the schedule, 3-6 or even 2-7 is not out of the question. And like so many other Teams in this league, a major injury to a key performer like Kenny Gray (he's been very durable so far in his career) would be a major problem for the Buffy and Jody's. Some of us grew up in upstate NY, have a soft spot for HAM and are rooting for them but let's assess when the results are in from all precincts.   

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on October 17, 2018, 12:28:06 PM
ColbyFootball-
No question about it. Of all the new coaches entering the NESCAC in the last few years the Hamilton situation was the most difficult challenge.

Tougher challenge than JB has in Brunswick?

GoBlue61

I was at the Bowdoin/Hamilton game.  The Hamilton QB was terrific and they have some good receivers, and the coach has done a great job making them more competitive.  But they were on there way to giving up 50 pts themselves, until Bowdoin's two top receivers went out with injuries midway thru the 3rd quarter.  Bowdoin also played the game without their best player (RB, Richam) and had two TDs called back in the second half (still had 430 yards of offense).  Bowdoin's pass defense was terrible, but 4 interceptions and a blocked punt played a big role in the 35 pt spread.  Let's see how Hamilton does against a team that can play defense and does not have essentially 5 turnovers.  I agree they are headed in the right direction, which is more than I can say about Bowdoin -- obviously.

Nescacman

Quote from: GoBlue61 on October 18, 2018, 12:44:17 AM
I was at the Bowdoin/Hamilton game.  The Hamilton QB was terrific and they have some good receivers, and the coach has done a great job making them more competitive.  But they were on there way to giving up 50 pts themselves, until Bowdoin's two top receivers went out with injuries midway thru the 3rd quarter.  Bowdoin also played the game without their best player (RB, Richam) and had two TDs called back in the second half (still had 430 yards of offense).  Bowdoin's pass defense was terrible, but 4 interceptions and a blocked punt played a big role in the 35 pt spread.  Let's see how Hamilton does against a team that can play defense and does not have essentially 5 turnovers.  I agree they are headed in the right direction, which is more than I can say about Bowdoin -- obviously.

Welcome to the Board GoBlue, the water is warm. We assume UMich Class of '61???

ColbyFootball

Quote from: Nescacman on October 18, 2018, 12:20:21 AM
ColbyFootball-
No question about it. Of all the new coaches entering the NESCAC in the last few years the Hamilton situation was the most difficult challenge.

It's hard to say which situation was the toughest, but Cohen left the program in a very very bad state. My feeling at the time was that he set them back years. It was that bad. And sadly, like another HC that I've had a past issue with, he was probably a decent guy.

GoBlue61

This is my 4th year reading this board and I have enjoyed it.  (My son plays for Bowdoin; my brother is a Michigan football alum hence my username.)  After another traumatic experience (at Hamilton), I decided to post as an alternative to more therapy.  Obviously, Bowdoin football gets a lot of negative comments on this board (deservedly so).  But the one thing I will say is that it is not an effort issue.  I know how much time the players put in during the season and in the offseason.  Having attended every game the past 3+ seasons, I can honestly say the players play hard even when the game is out of hand (most games).  I will leave it to others to comment on the coaching, administration support, etc.

Hamiltonian

Quote from: Nescacman on October 18, 2018, 12:12:53 AM
Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 17, 2018, 03:58:57 PM
At Hamilton it's been the difference between 0-8  three years running and now moving into the upper-mid-ranks of the league and looking at a shot at the first winning season in over two decades.

Whoa....now hold on....let's not get carried away.

not getting carried away.  by "moving into" I didn't mean to say they were there yet.  they have to beat the other two Maine teams and then take one of two from Middlebury and Williams.  if they don't do the latter, the Wesleyan win alone does not elevate them beyond "best of the rest."  still can't tell whether they can consistently play even with the bottom tier of the top six.  so be cool.

Hamiltonian

and keep the negative karma points coming.  I aspire to be you.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 17, 2018, 02:33:11 PM
guess it must just be coincidence that D1 teams are bigger than D3 teams.  and that the top tier D1 teams are bigger than the bottom tier.  I'm sure size really doesn't matter ... in football.

(This was a post I gave you a negative karma point for.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Trin9-0

Quote from: Nescacman on October 18, 2018, 12:12:53 AM
Until HAM actually lives up to all of the hype espoused on this Board the last two days, we would clearly place them at the top of the "have not's" of the NESCAC. Still a long way from being a "have". There are no "mid-ranks" and if there were, it would not include the Conts. 

Trinity or Amherst has won at least a share of the past 7 NESCAC titles, and 9 of the last 10. I'd say that's a pretty clear top tier with Midd, Wes, Tufts and now Williams all on a slightly lower level (albeit well above the third tier). I agree that Hamilton is clearly atop the rest of the CBB in the third grouping.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Hamiltonian

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 18, 2018, 11:15:57 AM
Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 17, 2018, 02:33:11 PM
guess it must just be coincidence that D1 teams are bigger than D3 teams.  and that the top tier D1 teams are bigger than the bottom tier.  I'm sure size really doesn't matter ... in football.

(This was a post I gave you a negative karma point for.)

Lol. Ok

Nescacman

Quote from: ColbyFootball on October 18, 2018, 06:25:36 AM
Quote from: Nescacman on October 18, 2018, 12:20:21 AM
ColbyFootball-

It's hard to say which situation was the toughest, but Cohen left the program in a very very bad state. My feeling at the time was that he set them back years. It was that bad. And sadly, like another HC that I've had a past issue with, he was probably a decent guy.

Worse situation than Bowdoin was left by HCOF Caputi???