MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Why does Principia play on an off day while the rest of the league plays the same day? Is it against their moral beliefs to play on Wednesdays?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 08, 2018, 10:36:29 AM
Why does Principia play on an off day while the rest of the league plays the same day? Is it against their moral beliefs to play on Wednesdays?

Something like that dealing with religious considerations.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's a little less prevalent now, but a lot of churches have activities on Wednesday night.  It was pretty common for a while there that religious schools didn't play on Wednesdays, just to avoid conflicts.  I imagine that's something Principia does.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 08, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

It's a little less prevalent now, but a lot of churches have activities on Wednesday night.  It was pretty common for a while there that religious schools didn't play on Wednesdays, just to avoid conflicts.  I imagine that's something Principia does.

Ryan, if ever in the St.Louis area, stop to see Principia... Obviously Wash U is the huge ultra impressive big $ campus in St Louis, but Prin, a beautiful drive along the river to get to Elsah, a beautiful woodsy campus, friendly people, very nice floor....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on January 08, 2018, 05:46:33 PM

Ryan, if ever in the St.Louis area, stop to see Principia... Obviously Wash U is the huge ultra impressive big $ campus in St Louis, but Prin, a beautiful drive along the river to get to Elsah, a beautiful woodsy campus, friendly people, very nice floor....

Is it a better afternoon than the zoo, because I love the St. Louis Zoo.

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 08, 2018, 10:47:15 PM

The drive doesn't get much nicer... make sure Prin is playing at home....won't be quite as crowded as the zoo... ;D

hopefan

Nice win for Blackburn tonight over Illinois College 91-82.... Duncan King who had pretty much disappeared after having a couple of big games in conference in December, bounces back with 24 points....BC with big game at Spalding on Wednesday.........

hopefan

With all the close games in the SLIAC, I'd assume teams need to know which opponents to foul... who is likely to miss that big free throw down the stretch...

Blackburn... not tough to find someone as they shoot a league worst 63.6%.... Look for Savion Smith 41.2%, Jamaya Wright 48.6%, or Malcomb Scott 46.2%

Eureka.... if Ryan McElmurray is out there, go for him at 41.2%... Alex Wiegand is at 40%... Dakota Bennington has yet to find the SLIAC range, at 45.5 %

Fontbonne... shooting well from line... go after Eric Sharck 59.3%, next best bet is Tristan Baker at 65.7%

Greenville... something tells me Vari Bonney 20% or Zak Smalley 43.8% might not be out there at crunch time... in which case look for for the law firm of Price, Nixon and Simmons, all in the low 60's...

Iowa Wesleyan... two regulars to definitely look for... Jarryd Fernandes or Austin Banks... both at 50%

MacMurray... none of the big minute guys are real low... Riley Spencer at 60_, Derek Bourke at 68.8% are best bets

Principia... 5 guys play, and 3 are good candidates to put on the line... Jeff Ross at 50%, Brennan Paulson 54.5%, Trevon Goodman at 64.2%

Spalding... all the guys that are getting big minutes are shooting well, but just in case Cornelius Watts is out there, find him!!! 28.6%

Webster... Painfully obvious.. look for those freshmen!! Rodney Ettienne 44%, Nigel Wilcox 35.3%

Westminster.. the Jays don't want the ball to go to Stu Hollandsworth 39.1%, but surprisingly starting guards are having problems... Tanner Cochran 62.8%, Carter Wands 65.4%

Greek Tragedy

The boards used to have karma points for each individual post. I think I like that better, not that I was ever into whether or not I got them, but I would definitely reward karma points for most of your posts, hopefan. I suppose I could still do that now, but I guess I don't for some reason. LOL
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on January 08, 2018, 11:07:49 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 08, 2018, 10:47:15 PM

The drive doesn't get much nicer... make sure Prin is playing at home....won't be quite as crowded as the zoo... ;D

I've driven 36 across Missouri and across the river at Hannibal through central Illinois.  Very picturesque.

hopefan

Thanks Greek....

Prin plays Greenville tonight... 15 guys vs 5 hardly seems fair... How Prin can hope to play 40 minutes against the system is totally beyond me... the way Trevon Goodman goes to the basket he may have 60 tonight, but darn, he also gets out of control EASILY and may foul out in 15 minutes with offensive fouls... how long he plays is a key... Prin players need to remember that layups are there for the taking, don't waste possessions shooting 3 point shots... I remember Jeff Ross had a great game vs Greenville last year... hope he can repeat.... and Greenville guys, nothing against you.. I love the system, contra to many of my fellow Basketball purist posters and contra to the other 9 SLIAC coaches... I guess I wish some of the 3 pointers wouldn't be thrown up by guys who simply can't make them, but then the system wouldn't be the system...I'll say this, if I was talking to a HS kid thinking about schools, I'd immediately push Greenville... it's different, but man, it's fun...and yes, it's winning games!!!!

Greek Tragedy

Well, Ross had one good game out of 3 against Greenville. In the conference tournament loss he had 14 pts and 5 rebs to go along with 4 dimes. In the other two games he combined for 11 pts and 16 rebs.

Funny thing you say about Goodman. In one game he has 21 pts but would out. Another he goes for 38 with only 2 fouls and in the tourney he lasts just 11 minutes before fouling out with 7 pts.

Unfortunately, I'll be on the road for this game so I won't be able to tune in. As previously stated, I picked up Paulson and am tempted to add Goodman as well. Of course, in the One and Done League, I already have both and probably will save Davidson and Ross for the return leg.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2017-18/boxscores/20180109_708x.xml?view=boxscore

Apparently I missed a crazy, great game. Prince up 65-58 at the break, but Greenville pulls out the victory despite being down 13 with 6 minutes to go. A fantasy delight, for the most part from the Principia players.

Goodman with a triple double: 43 points, 15 rebounds and 14 assists. However, he's only 11-21 from the line (and just 5 TOs). He as a whopping 62 fantasy points.
Davidson bounces back from some subpar games with 37 pts and 15 rebs while missing just 3 shots (18/21). He produces 52 fantasy points.
Paulson has a ho-hum day. He goes for 27 pts, 8 rebounds and 8 assists, but coughs the ball up 10 times! He scores just 36 fantasy points.

Paulson also takes all the 3 pointers, 4 of 9.

Greenville had 3 players score over 20 with an additional 4 players in double-figures.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Very quick...sorry

last night... heck of a game...Prin made mistakes, Greenville took advantage

tonight...
Eureka at Westmin... Root for Eureka, let's keep those standings close...
Webster at Mac... whoever loses will be demoralized even further... neither playing well enough to merit a conference tourney spot, and running out of time
Fontbonne at Iowa Wesleyan... the opposite.. hooray for the winner, a big plus for either
Blackburn at Spalding... very important to both... these are the games where a tourney spot is earned...

hopefan

Yikes.... hopefan gets his wish and Eureka wins at Westminster... heck, wins?... destroys Westminster at Westminster, 95-59... Shea Feehan only has to take 11 shots.. why?  because new face Dakota Bennington (yes, one of the cooler names in D3hoops this year) goes 8 for 11, 25 points...this new combo is just working out fine, thank you... 

So we have 3 teams at 5-2 (Eureka, Westmin, and Greenville)... and with Spalding's OT win over Blackburn and Webster beating Mac, 4 more teams at 4-3!!
Noteable... Westmin has lost to both Greenville and Eureka, Eureka has beaten both Westmin and Greenville..... BUT Eureka lost to Blackburn (without Feehan and Bennington) and Prin, Greenville lost to Blackburn....  Would seem in this review that Blackburn would have an upper hand, but they lost to Iowa Wesleyan, Spalding and Principia!!

Elsewhere
Iowa Wesleyan holds off a furious last minute rally by Fontbonne to win 100-97...Brock Butler leads the way with 33, Mitch Drey appears again and adds 18....  Kria McCann has 24 for the Griffs, Jarryd Woodcock another nice night off the bench 17 points 6 boards......concerned Luke DeLine had a nothing night, hope he didn't get hurt...

Spalding huge win in OT over Blackburn....pushing BC out of potential 4 way tie for SLIAC lead...Brandon Williams huge night for Spalding, 18 and 14... Malcolm Scott a career night for BC, 19 and 16... the win puts Spalding right back into the conference race... Blackburn probably kicking themselves over this one, as they frittered away a 10 point lead in final 10 minutes... missed some critical free throws in regulation that would have salted it away...also missed 2 3 point attempts at end of ot that would have tied (Spalding made a ft with 1 second left after missed 3 point attempts)

Webster beats Mac 71-53... Nigel Wilcox leads the way for the Gorlocks with 17 and 7... Mac, well, it's done... seniors can only play for pride at this stage....and I'll finally say it, as I have deferred for weeks, the downfall of Kendall Davis is just crushing, inexplicable.... last year 22.7 ppg, 53.6% from the field, 85% from FT, 41.6% from 3 point   to  this season 11.8 ppg, 34.7% from field, 74% from FT, 30.5% from 3 point....going from one good team to another good team....I feel bad for everyone involved....I don't think I've ever seen a collapse like this, and as a SLIAC fan, wonder and worry about what's behind it....I continue to root for a Kendall Davis revitalization...

Can Westminster hang in the race without Kobe Wands?  Is there a potential return, or is it over for this season?