MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem

Flat game for Hope (after the great effort and shooting last night) with a flat crowd. (These DeVette Christmas tournament games are so much better attended when after Christmas.)  But credit Mount St. Joseph for not being intimidated. That half-court ricochet shot at the first half buzzer surprisingly proved the difference, aided by everything going wrong for Hope in the final minute. (What, Jason Beckman is human and, like other mortals, can miss a one-and-one free throw . . . even with the game on the line?)

The upside is the whole team got to play in the first half . . . perhaps indicating the coach's confidence in a victory . . . though surely also rewarding teammates with playing time.

sac

Mt. St. Joseph 63  Hope 62 

Hope took a lot of measured risks with its lineups in the first half, didn't work out the way they planned.  Mid 2nd half found themselves in a battle and got sucked into playing MSJ's tempo, failed to execute at crucial moments and take a loss that was fully deserved.  Hope threw a lot of things, lineups etc at the wall to get something to stick and simply nothing did. 

If there's a checklist out there for anatomy of a an upset I think all the boxes were checked.

Granger 21, Beckman 12

I've watched Hope for 28 years or so and I cannot remember a night such as this against an opponent that while respected is simply not going to have a good year.   A really, really ugly performance and disappointing game.

sac

Albion 83  Aurora 77

.... good lord Arshawn Parker's 2nd half

13:23    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made layup
12:49    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made 3-pt. jump shot    45 - 58    
12:11    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made jump shot    47 - 61    
11:35    Albion BENNETT,DYLAN made 3-pt. jump shot    50 - 61    
09:37    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made jump shot    54 - 63    
08:38    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made jump shot    56 - 63    
08:04    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made jump shot    58 - 63    
07:50    Albion Steal by PARKER,ARSHAWN    58 - 63    
07:47    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made layup    60 - 63    
06:56    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made 3-pt. jump shot    63 - 66    
06:08    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made jump shot    65 - 68    
05:39    Albion Steal by PARKER,ARSHAWN    65 - 68    
05:35    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made layup    67 - 68    
04:59    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made 3-pt. jump shot    70 - 70    
04:08    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made free throw    71 - 73    
04:08    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made free throw    72 - 73    
03:33    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made 3-pt. jump shot    75 - 73    
01:16    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made free throw    76 - 73    
01:16    Albion PARKER,ARSHAWN made free throw

34 points, 13-13 shooting in 12 minutes finished with 38 points

Gregory Sager

Holy cow.

I certainly hope that Albion's SID nominates Arshawn Parker for d3hoops.com's Team of the Week. Even though Parker only scored a pedestrian seven points against North Central on Monday, he's certainly still deserving when you put the two games together -- and that torrid second half of his last night needs to be acknowledged by the larger D3 community.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Flying Dutch Fan

Still some pre-conf games to be played, but the conference season will be here soon enough - so the Pick Em contest is open - rules posted on that board. 

NOTE: Kalamazoo @ Alma is on Jan 2, while the other 3 opening games are on Jan 3.  Picks for all 4 need to be in before the Jan 2 game begins. 

Link to the Pick Em board:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=5915.0
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hopefan

If Alma loses 2 in the St Norbert Christmas Tourney, they will finish their non conference schedule at 0-11, and as everyone points out, that record is a result of having the toughest schedule in the country.
In a year where no MIAA team has shown they are ready to dominate the conference schedule Alma must be taking heart. Their is a chance that they could still win the conference, everything starts anew in January.

Now then, has this ever happened before... winless in non conference, turn around and win conference. I didn't have to research, as I remember it happening to one of my SLIAC teams.
IN 2011-2012, Webster went 0 fer in non conference, getting beat badly by powers like Illinois Wesleyan, Nebraska Wesleyan, Wash U, losing close to a number of other teams, but went on to win the SLIAC with a 13-3 record.. unfortunately they got beat in the conference tourney semis.

Wonder if any other D3 team has that distinction..winless in nonconference, turning around to win conference?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on December 22, 2018, 10:10:52 AM
If Alma loses 2 in the St Norbert Christmas Tourney, they will finish their non conference schedule at 0-11, and as everyone points out, that record is a result of having the toughest schedule in the country.
In a year where no MIAA team has shown they are ready to dominate the conference schedule Alma must be taking heart. Their is a chance that they could still win the conference, everything starts anew in January.

Now then, has this ever happened before... winless in non conference, turn around and win conference. I didn't have to research, as I remember it happening to one of my SLIAC teams.
IN 2011-2012, Webster went 0 fer in non conference, getting beat badly by powers like Illinois Wesleyan, Nebraska Wesleyan, Wash U, losing close to a number of other teams, but went on to win the SLIAC with a 13-3 record.. unfortunately they got beat in the conference tourney semis.

Wonder if any other D3 team has that distinction..winless in nonconference, turning around to win conference?

I don't know if that has happened. One that came close was Northwestern 2015, which went 2-9 out of conference and ran the table in the UMAC: https://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Northwestern_(Minn.)/men/2014-15/index
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pointlem

Basketball is exciting partly because of unpredictability, enabling the possibility of upsets. Thus Mount St. Joseph beat Hope, which today lost to Thomas More by 29, after Thomas More lost to Olivet by 40 . . . though (I presume) we will soon learn that Hope and Olivet are competitive.

TUAngola

Couple of wins for Trine this weekend in the St Andrews Products tournament, 93-55 over Spalding last night and 88-80 over Heidelberg today.

Nice comeback win over Berg after they jumped out to a 13-zip start.  After a lackluster performance against Adrian last night, Heidelberg looked much much better aginst us today, especially from long range.  What helped Trine get back into it was Berg's Prewitt getting 2 fouls early on and sitting the rest of the half.  He's a strong interior player plus can stroke it from deep.  Berg plays full court pressure the entire game.  They didn't create a lot of turnovers today, and actually hurt them as they fouled a ton, we were in the bonus both halves early on.  Lots of free throws.  Player of the game for Trine was Ellis Cummings, easily one of the best games I've seen him play.  Myles Copeland also had an outstanding weekend, it was especially needed after his lackluster performance against BW last Monday.  Pete Smith played well last night, but just couldn't get any open looks today and forced most of his 3 balls.  Whereas last nights game was all about outside shooting, today we were better pounding the interior and taking the ball to the rack and drawing contact or finishing.
'
Had a chance to watch Adrian last night in their game against Heidelberg and then the 2nd half of their game today against Spalding.  They lost both games this weekend, but had chances to win both, just didn't finish well in either game.  It's not the Adrian team of last year, losing Webster to graduation was huge.  I didn't see Colbert anywhere, maybe he is off the team?  Adrian is pretty much Harris and Kalonji offensively.  Bench is super thin.

maroonandgold

After again looking up the coaches pre-season picks for the final league standings, it would be interesting to see how those predictions would compare with current predictions from those who have been following as many MIAA games as possible.  Trine, Hope, Olivet, and Calvin might hold up, and maybe even Alma as fifth, but Albion appears better than 7th.  I suspect Olivet might rate ahead of Hope.  Just to give it a shot, I predict:

1.  Trine
2.  Olivet
3.  Hope
4.  Calvin
5.  Albion
6.  Alma
7.  Adrian
8.  Kalamazoo

realist

From the MIAA site:
School   Conf   Overall
Trine         0-0   7-2
Albion   0-0   6-3
Hope    0-0   6-4
Calvin   0-0   5-7
Adrian   0-0   3-6
Olivet   0-0   3-6
Kalamazo   0-0   3-8
Alma           0-0   0-9
Calvin obviously isn't 5- 7, the actual 5-6 is bad enough.  Davenport game was exhibition.
I predict:
1. Trine
2. Hope
3. Albion
4. Alma/Calvin  (Look at the results versus multiple common opponents ytd) 
6. Olivet           (Waiting to see what players they actually have for conference games.)
7. Adrian
8. Kalamazoo

Any team that can go 7-0 on their home court should finish near the top in conference play.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

maroonandgold

Quote from: realist on December 25, 2018, 10:57:31 AM
From the MIAA site:
School   Conf   Overall
Trine         0-0   7-2
Albion   0-0   6-3
Hope    0-0   6-4
Calvin   0-0   5-7
Adrian   0-0   3-6
Olivet   0-0   3-6
Kalamazo   0-0   3-8
Alma           0-0   0-9
Calvin obviously isn't 5- 7, the actual 5-6 is bad enough.  Davenport game was exhibition.
I predict:
1. Trine
2. Hope
3. Albion
4. Alma/Calvin  (Look at the results versus multiple common opponents ytd) 
6. Olivet           (Waiting to see what players they actually have for conference games.)
7. Adrian
8. Kalamazoo

Any team that can go 7-0 on their home court should finish near the top in conference play.

Interesting!  Since I don't have a good handle on who Albion has defeated, I think you may have a better picture of their end position.  The comment about Olivet makes a lot of sense based on past history.  My prediction was based on the current team, and even that may prove too optimistic.  Other than the two apparently weaker teams, just about any order of finish with the top six would not be a great surprise.  With Hope it seems to be a matter of which team shows up at which point.  Calvin is much the same.  Is that true of a number of others, too?

Jameswys

Realist, have you heard something about Olivet losing players at the break? As far as I've heard that's not the case but we might be hearing different things.
Olivet '05

HupHolland

Quote from: Jameswys on December 25, 2018, 09:10:40 PM
Realist, have you heard something about Olivet losing players at the break? As far as I've heard that's not the case but we might be hearing different things.
I don't think Realist was implying that they think there will be players missing from the current Olivet roster, but rather stating that it has happened in the past at some MIAA schools (including Olivet), and he will judge Olivet (and all MIAA schools) based on their second semester rosters.