FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Damn, must still be summer and not much to talk about. Both AU and CNU are pretty good, my only point is HSC must be prepared for a battle while playing both squads. They will not be push overs and HSC does not want to start off 0-2 (I don't think they will).

I personally think W&L is the team to beat; many returning starters and both RMC and HSC travel to Lexington. 2018 sets up well for the Generals but anything can happen in the ODAC. Should be a fun season to watch unfold.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 02, 2018, 04:57:05 PM
Damn, must still be summer and not much to talk about. Both AU and CNU are pretty good, my only point is HSC must be prepared for a battle while playing both squads. They will not be push overs and HSC does not want to start off 0-2 (I don't think they will).

I personally think W&L is the team to beat; many returning starters and both RMC and HSC travel to Lexington. 2018 sets up well for the Generals but anything can happen in the ODAC. Should be a fun season to watch unfold.

First time head coach. W&L has the players barring injuries. But the coach is a wildcard. Otherwise, I agree. W&L would have been a fairly good favorite had Coach Abell not left.

tigerFanAlso2

new coach, yes; he has been there and understands the system. don't see a huge hurdle for him to overcome and don't think he would have hired if he wasn't qualified and ready for the responsibility. if I was in your shoes I would not be too concerned about the coach. W&L have made some pretty good hires recently.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 03, 2018, 12:38:30 PM
new coach, yes; he has been there and understands the system. don't see a huge hurdle for him to overcome and don't think he would have hired if he wasn't qualified and ready for the responsibility. if I was in your shoes I would not be too concerned about the coach. W&L have made some pretty good hires recently.

That is true. And when the process started I made that same point about AD Hathorn and her hires. They have been very good. But, I'm always skeptical when someone with limited breadth of experience takes on a huge new responsibility. Football coach or corporate job. I think that's natural. Coach LeRose has never coached anywhere but W&L. Like all coaches, I'm sure he's been to dozens of coaching camps with other staffs and probably hosted a few as well. But it's still a thin resume in a pretty important regard.

Of course I'm all behind him. And I'm certainly proud an alum is leading the team. But there is a difference between being open-minded and excited, and being confident that the team won't skip a beat or several. We will see. Coach LeRose will get plenty of time and support to prove himself and I hope, and expect, that the Generals will maintain the high standard they have gained in football.

I am curious about the recruiting numbers. Especially coming on the heels of last year's small class.

tigerFanAlso2

recruiting numbers --- not many kids qualify academically --- hard to have it both ways !!!!

HSCTiger fan

My thoughts are WL might not see a significant change this year. WL will be playing with the talent brought in from Abell. However, I think things will start to slip. Wabash, UWW, are a couple of d3 teams that come to mind. They are both still very good but without their old coaches their not the same. I can think of several more at D1 level.  Does anyone expect Ohio State to be in the title hunt this season if they fire Meyer?  Ever one thought UNC basketball would continue to NCAA contenders under Dougherty. i cannot think of a single example of a highly successful coach been replaced with someone on staff where win production did not drop.

LeRose is replacing WL's Meyer. Maybe he'll be an awesome head coach - even better than Able. But I'll be skeptical for the first three years.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

I'm in Oregon.  I saw Willamette's stadium this week and saw Linfield years ago.  George Fox is in Newberg, but they're advertising Bruins football on billboards on I-5. 

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 03, 2018, 04:36:08 PM
recruiting numbers --- not many kids qualify academically --- hard to have it both ways !!!!

Oh absolutely. I'm not looking for 40 or 50, I'm looking for 30 or so. More than last year's 19...

Generals98

W&L will have 25 freshmen!! I think Abell still might be an asset. He is at a D1 school that have similar academic standards. He might steer a few that might not meet D1 stereotypical criteria to W&L. Just a thought.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Generals98 on August 04, 2018, 09:06:05 PM
W&L will have 25 freshmen!! I think Abell still might be an asset. He is at a D1 school that have similar academic standards. He might steer a few that might not meet D1 stereotypical criteria to W&L. Just a thought.   

Not for a while. Davidson was 2-9 last year and only beat D-III's. Anyone who can help W&L can also help Davidson right now.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSCTiger fan

Davidson football rejects attending WL would make WL a very average team.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

25 is a pretty average year. With a coaching change that's probably pretty good though. Going to need a lot of retention from that sophomore class.

Generals98

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 05, 2018, 03:11:18 AM

I agree if that is all W&L was getting. I know being from fairly near Davidson and from help coaching and helping kids with recruiting that there have been some good players that did not fit the D1 Stereotypical size or criteria that Davidson passed on in the past (Now Abell might change that) that I would be happy to have at W&L. Now if he steers them to W&L due to not meeting that criteria it would increase the size of the recruiting classes at W&L and instead of 20-25 kids a year they might be able to bring in over 30 (not the same as the other ODAC schools that bring in 50 a year but would help depth). Now I don't know if it would happen but due to the high academic standard at W&L it would be a option to get kids that might not have consider a school like W&L but would meet the high academic standard but still want to get a great education and play high level football. Again not saying that is the only players that W&L would get but would help the numbers and I don't know if Abell would do it. Just putting it out as an option to help increase the numbers in recruiting classes.  :)

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Generals98 on August 05, 2018, 03:02:47 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 05, 2018, 03:11:18 AM

I agree if that is all W&L was getting. I know being from fairly near Davidson and from help coaching and helping kids with recruiting that there have been some good players that did not fit the D1 Stereotypical size or criteria that Davidson passed on in the past (Now Abell might change that) that I would be happy to have at W&L. Now if he steers them to W&L due to not meeting that criteria it would increase the size of the recruiting classes at W&L and instead of 20-25 kids a year they might be able to bring in over 30 (not the same as the other ODAC schools that bring in 50 a year but would help hdepth). Now I don't know if it would happen but due to the high academic standard at W&L it would be a option to get kids that might not have consider a school like W&L but would meet the high academic standard but still want to get a great education and play high level football. Again not saying that is the only players that W&L would get but would help the numbers and I don't know if Abell would do it. Just putting it out as an option to help increase the numbers in recruiting classes.  :)

I cannot imagine Davidson intentionally rejecting anyone that would ever be good enough to contribute at WL. But I might be wrong.  They do have the same requirements as other D1s. I think that means no more than 95 players at the first practice. So I guess it's possible. I just don't see that being a 20% boost to WL efforts. But hey I'm wrong a lot.
Hampden Sydney College

tigerFanAlso2

I don't really understand non-scholarship D1 football. What does that really mean ? Davidson would struggle to win the ODAC or most other D3 conferences.
D1 non-scholarship football is really D3 football advertising itself as something not D3, right, at least in Davidson's case.
I don't see W&L missing a beat. They are the class of the ODAC until proven otherwise. Going into the 2018 season W&L is the clear favorite in my opinion; RMC not far behind. HSC has an opportunity to get back into the conversation but they must beat W&L and RMC to earn that right.