FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Pat

Funny but I think they need to know how low they have dropped in the opinion of top D3 followers. I think that will help in many respects; putting the pads on is only fun come game day !!!!

I'll read the whole edition tonight and I appreciate the effort. I'm sure the 2018 edition will be as enjoyable as previous ones.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on August 09, 2018, 04:16:47 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 09, 2018, 04:04:06 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 09, 2018, 10:44:33 AM
Pat I paid my $12.00 this year.

I have nothing to say.

I remember this conversation. :)

On question 1, we simply have a difference of opinion between the writer of the ODAC preview and the people who picked last year's postseason/this year's preseason team. And other questions are for the writer, which I was not.

For also2, if that's what HSC needs to get them up for the season, that's unfortunate. Would think just getting a chance to put the pads back on would be sufficient motivation. :)

As a former editor of various things, I'm not sure I would have let a preview of W&L, or any other team, slip through without mentioning something really important, such as a new head coach following a head coach with the team's highest ever winning percentage. It's what I would have considered materially important. In fact, it's probably important enough to be the lead. The fact that the new coach is an alum, never coached anywhere but W&L, and therefore never been a head coach before, is probably something else I would have considered at least interesting enough to include. I know there is a lot to write and edit in a short time, but some things are pretty important to a "season preview."

You can join us as an editor next year. We can always use the help. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 09, 2018, 05:49:05 PM

I have nothing to say.

On question 1, we simply have a difference of opinion between the writer of the ODAC preview and the people who picked last year's postseason/this year's preseason team. And other questions are for the writer, which I was not.

For also2, if that's what HSC needs to get them up for the season, that's unfortunate. Would think just getting a chance to put the pads back on would be sufficient motivation. :)

As a former editor of various things, I'm not sure I would have let a preview of W&L, or any other team, slip through without mentioning something really important, such as a new head coach following a head coach with the team's highest ever winning percentage. It's what I would have considered materially important. In fact, it's probably important enough to be the lead. The fact that the new coach is an alum, never coached anywhere but W&L, and therefore never been a head coach before, is probably something else I would have considered at least interesting enough to include. I know there is a lot to write and edit in a short time, but some things are pretty important to a "season preview."

Keep me in mind for next summer then.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on August 09, 2018, 06:52:22 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 09, 2018, 05:49:05 PM

I have nothing to say.

Keep me in mind for next summer then.

Dang.  Everyone should take a lesson from JK.  I bitch and get thrown every bus with wheels on it.  He bitches and gets a job offer!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Something tells me it wouldn't be a paid position. But I'd still be happy to help out.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on August 09, 2018, 09:57:01 PM
Something tells me it wouldn't be a paid position. But I'd still be happy to help out.
But after Pat accepts you as an (associate) editor, you could submit your application to the Football Writers Association of America.

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/about/index.html

It would make an interesting aspect of your CV.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 10, 2018, 03:49:54 PM
Quote from: jknezek on August 09, 2018, 09:57:01 PM
But after Pat accepts you as an (associate) editor, you could submit your application to the Football Writers Association of America.

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/about/index.html

It would make an interesting aspect of your CV.

It would be a minimally paid position. The things that bring in revenue, we pay people to help produce, for sure.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

Division II Barton College (formerly Atlantic Christian) in Wilson, NC has announced plans to start football and begin play in 2020.   Former Guilford player Chip Hester has been named as the new Head Coach of the Bulldogs (they actually had football until 1950, I think).  By my count, this will make the 33rd college in North Carolina with NCAA football.  In my opinion, this new program will most likely affect NC Wesleyan or Methodist as an infringement on their typical recruiting area.

UNC-CH, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Appalachian, Davidson, Elon, West Carolina, East Carolina, Brevard, Mars Hill, Catawba, Livingstone, Campbell, Barton, Johnson C. Smith, Winston-Salem State, Lenoir-Rhyne, Wingate, Gardner-Webb, Guilford, Greensboro, NC A&T, NC Central, Chowan, Shaw, St, Augustine's, Fayetteville State, Elizabeth City State, UNC-Pembroke, NC Wesleyan, Methodist and UNC-Charlotte.

tigerFanAlso2

What football conference will Barton play in ?

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 13, 2018, 04:35:38 PM
What football conference will Barton play in ?
Hi, tfa2.  Barton is a member of the Conference Carolinas, but none of the other schools currently play football.  I don't know if the Bulldogs will try to go it as an independent, wait for other conference members to add football or skip to another DII conference.  I'll have to wait and see.  I could see them trying to schedule some of the state's DIIIs until they get a foothold.  NC Wesleyan would be a geographic rival, for sure.

tigerFanAlso2

CIAA is the only D2 football conference in the area I believe. It will be interesting to watch that program grow, or not. Sounds like a tough gig to me.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on August 13, 2018, 05:25:30 PM
CIAA is the only D2 football conference in the area I believe. It will be interesting to watch that program grow, or not. Sounds like a tough gig to me.
The CIAA is a traditional HBCU conference, but they did admit Chowan a few years ago.  The CIAA may be looking for members since some long time affiliates such as WSSU and NCCU are trying their hand at DI.   It is the most logical geographic fit for football with Fayetteville State, Elizabeth City State, Chowan, Shaw and St Augustine's all in east central or eastern NC.  There are other CIAA schools such as Virginia State and Virginia Union in southeastern VA.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on August 13, 2018, 06:20:14 PM
The CIAA is a traditional HBCU conference, but they did admit Chowan a few years ago.  The CIAA may be looking for members since some long time affiliates such as WSSU and NCCU are trying their hand at DI.   It is the most logical geographic fit for football with Fayetteville State, Elizabeth City State, Chowan, Shaw and St Augustine's all in east central or eastern NC.  There are other CIAA schools such as Virginia State and Virginia Union in southeastern VA.

Maybe the SAC?  With LR, Catawba, Mars Hill Wingate and others.  Not sure who's in that conference now but they did lose Brevard. Good to hear about another NC school adding football.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 13, 2018, 08:44:23 PM
Quote from: hasanova on August 13, 2018, 06:20:14 PM

Maybe the SAC?  With LR, Catawba, Mars Hill Wingate and others.  Not sure who's in that conference now but they did lose Brevard. Good to hear about another NC school adding football.
The DII SAC is a good thought.  In addition to losing Brevard, the SAC also lost Pfeiffer to DIII, but the Falcons did not play football.  Other factors in favor of this possibility:  HC Chip Hester was Head Coach at Catawba for 11 years and the Barton Bulldogs (then Atlantic Christian) used to be in the old NAIA Carolinas Conference with Catawba, Lenoir-Rhyne and Mars Hill.  When I was an undergraduate at Guilford, the conference also included the Quakers, High Point, Elon, Presbyterian, Newberry and others.

tigerFanAlso2

The more I read/hear I believe Ferrum will a tough out this year and of course, HSC must travel to play them