MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Royals showed up. I hope Sportsfan didn't injure himself.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Good game to get out of the way today & fairly easy.

Wednesday's game will probably be last team to have possession wins as defense doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis of either the Royals or Moravian.

One game at a time.

ronk

After 1/4 of the conference season:

Drew  4-0
Moravian 3-1
Scranton 3-1
Juniata 2-2
Catholic 2-2
Susque 2-2
E-town,Goucher 0-4

Home teams have won all the head-to-head matches of top 5

Wed: Scranton-Moravian
Sat: Scranton-Catholic, Moravian-Juniata

sp0rtsfan

Ha ! The Royals alumni "pick-up" game didn't seem to sport anyone older than 25. Either that, or I'm just getting a lot older and everyone looks like a kid to me.

ronk

Quote from: sp0rtsfan on January 17, 2018, 10:19:09 AM
Ha ! The Royals alumni "pick-up" game didn't seem to sport anyone older than 25. Either that, or I'm just getting a lot older and everyone looks like a kid to me.

You're right about the ages. One of the 14 players was Sean Cummings who had potential but only played through his sophomore year; he would have been in the class that recently graduated. 10 of the 14 alumni were on the team when Sean was a freshman and another(Matt Swaback) was a graduate assistant with that team.

NEPAFAN

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

That young man brought his game tonight.
As did the big Schank.
Great win (as they all are) on the road.
Next stop, DC.

saratoga

The Royals were completely outmanned in every phase of the game today.

Looked the the Royals of early December when teams were laying a beating on them fairly regularly.

I haven't seen a Royals team quite like this one in some time.

When they are on, it looks like they can beat anyone & when they're off, (like today) you wonder how they could even have 8 wins.

Ronk...your assessment from courtside??

ronk

It looked pretty bad from wherever one was sitting. From the onset, Catholic used an effective zone which was a novel choice considering the Royals' normal long-range effectiveness. It did eliminate all the Royals' player movement and the distance shooting was usually contested, unlike what usually happens against a man-to-man defense. They had a number of bad passes in the middle of the zone, including the usually reliable Kevin Doolan with 5 TOs.
  Defensively, no one could stop Jay Howard or put a body on Riley Hayes who had 5 offensive rebounds in the 1st half, including at least 2 baskets. Hard to find any positives.

For Pat Coleman and the Cardinal fans - the renovated DuFour center was a hit with individual chair-backed seats on the main sidelines and a few rows of bleacher seating at the home end of the court. I didn't see the much-needed additional locker room facilities but President Garvey stopped by for a few words and was obviously pleased with the renovation. The only damper was the absence of students(semester break) to enhance the setting.

Face in the "crowd":  Mark Turgeon, HC-U of MD taking in a D3 contest

ronk

After another week of conference action:

Drew  6-0
Scranton,Catholic 4-2
Juniata,Moravian,Susque 3-3
E-town  1-5
Goucher 0-6

Only 2 road wins involving top 6 teams: Scr over Mor & Drew over Susque

Wed: Drew-Scranton; Catholic-Susque
Sat: Catholic-Juniata, Moravian-Susque

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ronk on January 20, 2018, 08:22:32 PM
It looked pretty bad from wherever one was sitting. From the onset, Catholic used an effective zone which was a novel choice considering the Royals' normal long-range effectiveness. It did eliminate all the Royals' player movement and the distance shooting was usually contested, unlike what usually happens against a man-to-man defense. They had a number of bad passes in the middle of the zone, including the usually reliable Kevin Doolan with 5 TOs.
  Defensively, no one could stop Jay Howard or put a body on Riley Hayes who had 5 offensive rebounds in the 1st half, including at least 2 baskets. Hard to find any positives.

For Pat Coleman and the Cardinal fans - the renovated DuFour center was a hit with individual chair-backed seats on the main sidelines and a few rows of bleacher seating at the home end of the court. I didn't see the much-needed additional locker room facilities but President Garvey stopped by for a few words and was obviously pleased with the renovation. The only damper was the absence of students(semester break) to enhance the setting.

I've only seen the photos, but it looks really nice. Great-looking refurb on a 33-year-old building. And repurposing those old squash courts was a great idea. I don't know when the next time is I'll be in town during the winter, but I have a kid at GW, so it could happen.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I believe I read somewhere that Turgeon's son will be playing for Catholic next year.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 21, 2018, 06:58:12 PM

I believe I read somewhere that Turgeon's son will be playing for Catholic next year.

There was a young boy with him at the game but he looked like a middle-schooler. Thinking afterwards, his attendance might have been related to Catholic playing @ MD 1 month ago and showing support in return. Catholic did lead the MD game for nearly all of the first half.

guest323

I did not think that he had any kids. I'd assume they'd probably go to play for him at Maryland

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: guest323 on January 21, 2018, 10:54:37 PM
I did not think that he had any kids. I'd assume they'd probably go to play for him at Maryland

According to wikipedia, he's got three children, the oldest of whom, is a senior basketball player at Gonzaga HS in DC.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere