MBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by njachoopsfan, March 16, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 10, 2018, 02:17:03 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 10, 2018, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 10, 2018, 12:48:58 PM
First time all year that no NJAC team is ranked in the top 25. Ramapo and NJCU recently knocked out. Ramapo lost a heart breaker at the buzzer against TCNJ while NJCU got handled pretty easily at home against MSU.

Going to be interesting moving forward.

I feel like the NJAC is in a better position - there are four pretty strong teams that will battle it out.  That might make it difficult for one to come to national prominence, but I think the conference schedule could really shape a strong national tourney team, whichever squad it turns out to be.

Who are you considering in the top 4? Ramapo, NJCU, Montclair, and TCNJ? I still think Rowan is very talented and with their style of play - they can beat anyone on any given night. This Saturday could get interesting as TCNJ travels to Montclair and Ramapo hosts NJCU.

I like Rowan - I went and saw them in person last year.  They were a big sleeper for me this year.  I've watched a couple games now and they just still don't have the next level.  The defense can be spotty and you're not confident they can get to the rim in a big moment if they need to on a regular basis.  They can do it once or twice - and they will get some upsets - I just don't see them on the same level with the other four.  I think they're a little more complete.  Montclair is the weak link, but I think they've shown some consistency early on that Rowan hasn't.  It helps me to elevate them a little.

I believe NJCU is going to win, because Toney is the best player in the conference and he's the one you're going to bet on if you need a big bucket.  That matters, especially in the NJAC.  Ramapo just hasn't played up to par very much and TCNJ will need a little more seasoning, but I could see either one step in, under the right circumstances.

I want Rowan to be part of the title chance, I'm just not sure they've got everything they need to do it.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 10, 2018, 02:14:57 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 10, 2018, 01:29:53 PM
Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 10, 2018, 12:48:58 PM
First time all year that no NJAC team is ranked in the top 25. Ramapo and NJCU recently knocked out. Ramapo lost a heart breaker at the buzzer against TCNJ while NJCU got handled pretty easily at home against MSU.

Going to be interesting moving forward.

Ramapo has lost three of their last four... they have to solve things before conference play goes any further.

Yes, not good for the Roadrunners. However, one of their losses was against a very good Ohio Wes team. Central seems to have played a very tough schedule? And TCNJ at home is a tough place to win. But still, you are right - something needs to give.

I am aware of who Ramapo played... I was on hand for those games and was on the call for the Central game. Ramapo blew a near-20 point lead while Central was 0-16 from the floor. I predicted during the game on air if Ramapo didn't shape up on offense they were going to lose that lead.

Ramapo needs to focus. I also mentioned on Hoopsville the other night that Ramapo isn't consistent on offense. There are stretches Bonacum doesn't see the ball on offense then suddenly they force it to him and now Moseley or others don't see the ball for a stretch. They have to find a way to keep everyone involved and not do it in spurts.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NJBALLERZ

Big win for Ramapo last night - blew a big lead to start the second half. Went down by about 8 points or so in the second half and came back to win by double digits. I know it is only early January, but that win to be could have been a season saving W on the road in league play.

Interesting to see Camden come out on top with a win over Montclair... but it looked like MSU freshman stud did not play?

daddyhoops

Ramapo looks off this year compared to last season.. something missing ..not sure what it is.
Any thoughts?

Greek Tragedy

Huge test tomorrow with NJCU coming into town to take on the Roadrunners.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 12, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Wonder if newly acquired Rowan transfer, Jeff Haddock will be playing in that game. Not sure on the rules of a transfer of this nature? He was on Rowan and played against NJCU on 1/6 and on 1/9 he was put on NJCU's roster. Very odd - but in the NJAC, I guess it isn't very odd.

NJHoopsFan

Great Saturday slate of games. As the top 4 teams all play each other. NJCU @ Ramapo and TCNJ @ Montclair

Pat Coleman

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 12, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

Wonder if newly acquired Rowan transfer, Jeff Haddock will be playing in that game. Not sure on the rules of a transfer of this nature? He was on Rowan and played against NJCU on 1/6 and on 1/9 he was put on NJCU's roster. Very odd - but in the NJAC, I guess it isn't very odd.

Division III doesn't have any rules on this, so any limitations on that would have to be done on a conference level.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 12, 2018, 10:45:09 AM

So he isn't "cup-tied" then...  ??? ;D :)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

NJBALLERZ

Top 4 teams in the NJAC did NOT disappoint on Saturday. Ramapo v NJCU and Montclair v TCNJ were both great games. I was happy the times were different so I was able to watch both on the live stream.

TCNJ handed Montclair their first loss at home and Ramapo was able to prevail at home in another nail bitter with NJCU. Sam Toney with 40+ on the road and they still lost. Tough one for NJCU.

NJBALLERZ

The Centennial League seemed to have done an amazing job with their games at The Palestra this past weekend. The NJAC should do a similar event at Princeton University in Jadwin Gymnasium.

phil

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 17, 2018, 11:50:15 AM
The Centennial League seemed to have done an amazing job with their games at The Palestra this past weekend. The NJAC should do a similar event at Princeton University in Jadwin Gymnasium.
As much chance of happening as Princeton dropping tuition to $12,000 for in-state students and changing their name to Upsala. There's absolutely nothing in it for Princeton.

Maybe if it were at the old "Barn" (College Avenue Gym), at Rutgers you might have something. Seats 2,500, the place used to rock when Rutgers bball was relevant in the 70's ... but I don't even think it's configured for basketball these days.

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: phil on January 17, 2018, 01:49:02 PM
As much chance of happening as Princeton dropping tuition to $12,000 for in-state students and changing their name to Upsala. There's absolutely nothing in it for Princeton.

Maybe if it were at the old "Barn" (College Avenue Gym), at Rutgers you might have something. Seats 2,500, the place used to rock when Rutgers bball was relevant in the 70's ... but I don't even think it's configured for basketball these days.

One can hope haha... what did UPENN get out of it? I am pretty unaware of the logistics that went into it - seemed like a cool event.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 18, 2018, 01:49:34 PM

One can hope haha... what did UPENN get out of it? I am pretty unaware of the logistics that went into it - seemed like a cool event.

I'm not sure the specifics, but Penn has always hosted games for other schools at the Palestra - I assume they have a basic rental agreement for the facility.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 18, 2018, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 18, 2018, 01:49:34 PM

I'm not sure the specifics, but Penn has always hosted games for other schools at the Palestra - I assume they have a basic rental agreement for the facility.

True. Cabrini has played there in the past. In Marcus Kahn's first year for Cabrini the Cavs took on Merchant Marine in their season opener.

There's talk about possibly having the Battle of Eagle Road taking place there in the future.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.