OFFSEASON: Mega Draft

Started by FCGrizzliesGrad, February 16, 2018, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FCGrizzliesGrad

Do you think drafting players is the most fun part of a fantasy league?
Do you wish there was something to do during the long D3 drought that is summer?
Do you wish you didn't have to deal with pesky roster decisions during the season?
Do you wish there was a game not run by Greek? ;D

If you answered yes to any of those then this is the game for you.  8-)

A draft that runs from mid-April all the way until November. No round limit. If the draft only goes 60 rounds? That's fine. If the draft goes 200 rounds? That's fine too.
Standard scoring rules. 3PM + Reb + Ast + Stl + Blk + Pts - TO - FT Missed
Once the draft is complete there's nothing more you need to do. No add/drops/trades. No selecting a specific game each week or a certain number of games. All D3 games count.

Should you be going on vacation for a week be sure to say so and leave some names. It's a looooong draft, it's fine if there's some slow stretches. But if you've disappeared for more than 4 days without a word then your turn will be skipped (it's fine if you've said you'll be gone but your list of provided names runs out, we'll wait a bit longer for you)

Any thoughts/questions/tweaks?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Greek Tragedy

Sounds like your version of the XFL to my NFL. LOL ;D  :P  ::)  :)
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 16, 2018, 08:40:04 AM
Do you think drafting players is the most fun part of a fantasy league?
YES!
Do you wish there was something to do during the long D3 drought that is summer?
YES!
Do you wish you didn't have to deal with pesky roster decisions during the season?
YES!
Do you wish there was a game not run by Greek? ;D
YES!

:D ;D ;) ;D

LOL, can I be a XFL player and a NFL player?

This will be fun! I still like picking the games and making roster changes but this will be a good addition to the the games we play!

So, how will the games be scored? Does each game your player play count towards your total? Do you get the best 15 scores from each player? I'm cool with anything Im just curious.

FCGrizzliesGrad

All D3 games count. Basically once the draft is over you can...

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Greek Tragedy

So do you just take the end of season boxscore and add up all the stats and divide by how many games they played minus the non-D3 games?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

7express

This sounds like a complete pain in the rear to score.  I don't even think the recently-retired (I believe) Magicman would have enough time to score this.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

This sounds awesome.  What's going to be the check in requirement?  I've got a family reunion this summer and a crazy cross-country drive planned (www.fastest48.com) - but I can probably check in once every day or two.

I like set it and forget it and I always have more time outside the season.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Smitty Oom

Quote from: 7express on February 16, 2018, 01:30:00 PM
This sounds like a complete pain in the rear to score.  I don't even think the recently-retired (I believe) Magicman would have enough time to score this.

If you only complied the year of end stats like Greek mentioned, it wouldn't be that bad. Getting every single game scored individually would be really tough, but thats probably not how Grizz plans to do it.

Also, idk what your plan is Grizz, but I wouldn't mind included non-D3 games, as long as they are apart of the teams 25 scheduled regular season games. Would make it easier for you to total the numbers!

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 16, 2018, 02:09:58 PM

This sounds awesome.  What's going to be the check in requirement?  I've got a family reunion this summer and a crazy cross-country drive planned (www.fastest48.com) - but I can probably check in once every day or two.

Ryan, will you be posting your route that you plan to take for the drive? What a fun idea, good luck!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Ryan, will you be posting your route that you plan to take for the drive? What a fun idea, good luck!!
[/quote]

Well, not before we go, for sure.  I can tell you generally we're starting in White River Junction, VT and ending in Plymouth, WA, but the route is really the secret sauce of the whole thing.  We'll basically be making a giant W shape across the country to get everything in.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 16, 2018, 11:16:44 AM
So do you just take the end of season boxscore and add up all the stats and divide by how many games they played minus the non-D3 games?
Going to try to get it all sorted out so I can do weekly score updates. The backup plan is just grabbing the season stats and subtracting non-D3 scores.

I plan for the draft to start somewhere around when the other post-tournament drafts are finishing up so there's not too many going on at the same time.

As to the XFL... the draft order will be set by a sprint to the ball at midcourt :D

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 16, 2018, 02:24:25 PM

Well, not before we go, for sure.  I can tell you generally we're starting in White River Junction, VT and ending in Plymouth, WA, but the route is really the secret sauce of the whole thing.  We'll basically be making a giant W shape across the country to get everything in.

Doing some more looking, I notice this question was on the FAQ of your blog... Well, hopefully this adventure will only take you about 93 hours, leaving a lot of other time in your summer for the Offseason Mega Draft  ;D ;) :D

FCGrizzliesGrad

That's more than often enough. Basically as long as I know what's going on and you've made an effort by giving me a list of names before being away an extended length of time then we can wait. But if someone just goes MIA for 4 days then we will skip their pick(s) and they can make them up whenever they return.

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 16, 2018, 02:16:09 PM
Quote from: 7express on February 16, 2018, 01:30:00 PM

If you only complied the year of end stats like Greek mentioned, it wouldn't be that bad. Getting every single game scored individually would be really tough, but thats probably not how Grizz plans to do it.

Also, idk what your plan is Grizz, but I wouldn't mind included non-D3 games, as long as they are apart of the teams 25 scheduled regular season games. Would make it easier for you to total the numbers!
I'd be willing to consider other NCAA games (D1 and D2) because you know the standard of teams. Certainly can't do other levels though because you never know what kind of team it might be.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

NCF

CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 16, 2018, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 16, 2018, 02:24:25 PM

Doing some more looking, I notice this question was on the FAQ of your blog... Well, hopefully this adventure will only take you about 93 hours, leaving a lot of other time in your summer for the Offseason Mega Draft  ;D ;) :D

I'm planning to get a cellular hotspot for the van, so we'll be able to get on the internet whenever we have service.  I'm sure there will be some downtime, especially driving up through Nevada.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Just updating this since the tournament is almost over. The draft will begin in a couple weeks, I'll set a date closer to when we start (maybe April 1st). Going to let all the other post tournament drafts wind down before this starts.

To keep things simple to all the other games here, only D3 opponents will count. Provisional teams count, exploratory does not. While I'd consider allowing other NCAA opponents, there's just not enough such games to make it worthwhile plus having to try to keep track of which ones are considered exhibitions.

As long as you're around every day or two or let me know you're going to be gone an extended period and leave me a list of names then you have nothing to worry about. You're only going to be in trouble if you disappear without a trace for several days.
In such a situation, after 3 days you'll be put on a 24 hour clock after which your pick will be skipped and can be made up whenever you return. Every time you trigger the 24 hour clock your grace period will be reduced. Everyone starts with 3 days before the clock is triggered, first triggering reduces it to 2 days, second triggering down to 1 day, and a third triggering means you start on the clock. Again, if you let me know you'll be away for several days and leave me a list (a reasonable list.. don't say you're going on vacation for two weeks and leave 3 names ::)) then you have nothing to worry about. If we happen to run through all your names then we'll wait with no penalty.

Standard scoring rules. 3PM + Reb + Ast + Stl + Blk + Pts - TO - FT Missed
Once the draft is complete there's nothing more you need to do. No add/drops/trades. No selecting a specific game each week or a certain number of games. All D3 games count.

Current list
FCGG
Smitty Oom
Ryan Scott
NCF
Greek?