MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All-Time

Magicman
It's time for you to dust off your high top converse sneakers and get that old warm up suit out of the closet.
Meet the New Head Coach of your Plattsburgh Cardinals MAGICMAN.
Lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bengalsrule

I doubt he will replace Curle but I have no doubt that the Magic 1 will have some say so in his replacement!

Best of luck to Tom in his new AD position!

Bengalsrule

I bet Plattsburgh wishes now that they made him AD last year. William Peace Is estactic!!

https://gopeacepacers.com/

All-Time

Do they bring Coach Conover back????
The Red Dragons might not like that.

magicman

Quote from: All-Time on June 27, 2019, 11:09:57 AM
Magicman
It's time for you to dust off your high top converse sneakers and get that old warm up suit out of the closet.
Meet the New Head Coach of your Plattsburgh Cardinals MAGICMAN.
Lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

All-Time,
I wouldn't want to be the coach that has to follow in his footsteps! Large shoes to fill. Besides my last pair of high top converse sneakers lost their soles about 8 years ago and my old warm up suit was thrown away by my ex-wife.

Quote from: Bengalsrule on June 27, 2019, 12:23:25 PM
I doubt he will replace Curle but I have no doubt that the Magic 1 will have some say so in his replacement!

Best of luck to Tom in his new AD position!

Bengalsrule,
I have 2 people in mind for the job and will be happy if either one gets it, but I doubt they'll ask for my input.

Quote from: All-Time on June 27, 2019, 02:49:50 PM
Do they bring Coach Conover back????
The Red Dragons might not like that.

The Red Dragons would not be happy to lose Coach Conover. He has a ton of talent coming back this fall at Oneonta, while Plattsburgh will be in a major rebuilding year. I don't see him making the switch, but what do I know.

Coach Curle called me a while ago to let me know he was leaving and where he was going. Of course I sure hate to see him go but I'm happy for him because he has wanted to be an AD for some time now and moving to North Carolina is right up his alley as he can now play golf year round. ;D

AUPepBand

So Coach Curle will be in Raleigh near another former Alfred State men's hoop coach, Tom Kaznowsky, who has a small chain of sports bars in the Cary, NC area....The Upper Deck. Raleigh is also new home of Pep Jr. who, ironically, is seeking a high school basketball head coaching position after a successful stint in the AAU circuit with the former Arlington Rockets when he was residing in Falls Church, VA.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

thebear

Coach Curle will also be close to Potsdam's National Championship coach Jerry Welsh who lives in the area and teaches basketball coaching at Duke University. Tom played against Jerry during his championship years.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Quote from: AUPepBand on June 30, 2019, 03:46:35 PM
So Coach Curle will be in Raleigh near another former Alfred State men's hoop coach, Tom Kaznowsky, who has a small chain of sports bars in the Cary, NC area....The Upper Deck. Raleigh is also new home of Pep Jr. who, ironically, is seeking a high school basketball head coaching position after a successful stint in the AAU circuit with the former Arlington Rockets when he was residing in Falls Church, VA.

Pep,
Sounds like you could be paying Coach Curle a visit at some point in the future since Pep Jr is in the same town. You could renew your acquaintance from Coach Curle's time at Alfred State. You certainly know where to look him up if you're down that way. :)

amh63

Magicman....seems "we posters" should have a reunion sometime down South....maybe when the D3 title game goes again to Atlanta....next year?  My best man and former basketball watching buddy moved to the Chapel Hill/Durham area from Ct.  Always drop by when my wife and I head to Florida to visit family in Winter Park.  Anyway, will Plattsburgh still try to schedule Nescac schools in Basketball?  Always interesting post between you and my favorite Midd. Posters.  Take care and be good.  Same to AUPep :)

AUPepBand

Quote from: magicman on July 01, 2019, 03:18:14 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on June 30, 2019, 03:46:35 PM

Pep,
Sounds like you could be paying Coach Curle a visit at some point in the future since Pep Jr is in the same town. You could renew your acquaintance from Coach Curle's time at Alfred State. You certainly know where to look him up if you're down that way. :)

That would be awesome...a blast from the past. Funny, in all his years at Plattsburgh State, never had occasion to see him or his team. But he moves to Raleigh, NC, and the chances of meeting up just increased dramatically.

Still rejoicing at Alfred's nice run to the Dance! Saxons played the best ball Pep had seen since the late 80s squad that Ron Frederes took to the Dance where they topped the Golden Flyers of Nazareth on a half-court buzzer beater, then got intimidated by a tough Potsdam State team in front of a full house on the Bears' court.

A quick look at the AU record book reveals that of 15 basketball coaches, only three have had winning records in Saxonville. Frederes built a pretty solid program and garnered 158 wins, 127 losses in 11 seasons with Roman Catalino going 19-8 during a Frederes one-year sabbatical. The third coach with a winning record is current Coach Russ Phillips, who is a respectable 81-51 after five seasons. With the new found success, Pep is hoping to see AU "up the ante" a bit and work on a more competitive schedule.

A weak non-conference slate does not negate, however, a magical 13-game win streak through the Empire 8 at season end.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on July 01, 2019, 10:46:13 AM
Magicman....seems "we posters" should have a reunion sometime down South....maybe when the D3 title game goes again to Atlanta....next year?  My best man and former basketball watching buddy moved to the Chapel Hill/Durham area from Ct.  Always drop by when my wife and I head to Florida to visit family in Winter Park.  Anyway, will Plattsburgh still try to schedule Nescac schools in Basketball?  Always interesting post between you and my favorite Midd. Posters.  Take care and be good.  Same to AUPep :)

amh63,

Hope you are well and enjoying the summer. I wish that we lived in close proximity so a visit every once in a while was possible. Perhaps someday it will happen.

I sure hope that the new Cardinal coach, whoever he turns out to be, will keep Middlebury on the schedule as we've been playing each other for a long time now. The other NESCAC schools we faced were usually in tournament match-ups during the season or NCAA games, like your Amherst Lord Jeffs. (They were the Lord Jeffs not the Mammoths, the last two times we played them. :D) We did play Trinity a couple of times recently during the regular season and I'd like to think that could happen in the future. (Last year we had Wesleyan in a holiday tournament.)

It all depends on the coach. Coach Curle wasn't afraid to play anyone, whether it was on their court or ours. Certain previous coaches we had were more interested in wins and played some teams that were pushovers. I want the next coach to be like Coach Curle and play a good out of conference schedule.

Have a happy Fourth of July!!   

All-Time

Magicman
Please give us the inside scoop when you meet with the prospective coaches for the job.
Still think their is nobody more qualified than you.
Very Happy for Curle, he worked very hard along with his assistants in always being at the top of the SUNYAC year after year.
William Peace University is getting a Top Notch Winner in Curle.

Bengalsrule

I couldn't agree more. Class act if there ever was 1. William Peace gain is SIUNYACS loss.https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/06/plattsburgh-curle-heads-south

Count me in on Chris Manning for Head Coach sweepstakes!!!

middhoops

magicman, sorry to hear of your loss of a golfing buddy.  Coach Curle is a first rate class act and "replacing" him is unrealistic. 
Selfishly, we Middlebury fans just really hope that his successor maintains the tradition of playing your neighbor every year.
And I don't believe no one will ask your advice on this.  No one is more tuned in to the D3 hoops environment in the region than you.

magicman

Quote from: middhoops on July 17, 2019, 07:38:35 PM
magicman, sorry to hear of your loss of a golfing buddy.  Coach Curle is a first rate class act and "replacing" him is unrealistic. 
Selfishly, we Middlebury fans just really hope that his successor maintains the tradition of playing your neighbor every year.
And I don't believe no one will ask your advice on this.  No one is more tuned in to the D3 hoops environment in the region than you.

I will do my best to make sure that Middlebury stays on our schedule, regardless of who our new coach is. Something tells me I won't have to do very much lobbying to have that happen, though. The new coach would certainly be missing the boat, to exclude a top D3 program, close to home, from their yearly encounter with the Cardinals. I'm sure whoever gets the job, will be smart enough to realize that.