Bob Jones University approved as D3 provisional member

Started by Ron Boerger, June 23, 2020, 10:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

https://www.bjubruins.com/news/2020/6/23/general-NCAA-Approves-Provisional-Status-to-BJU.aspx

Will be the first Division III school in South Carolina if they complete the provisional process, will be seeking a conference afilliation.  ~2400 undergraduates.

M/W basketball, golf, soccer, T&F, XC
M baseball
W volleyball

Ron Boerger

Bob Jones joins North Carolina's Warren Wilson College as provisional members in 2020-21.  Warren Wilson, a school with fewer than 700, offers M/W Basketball, Lacrosse, Swimming, XC, and Tennis.

https://www.warren-wilson.edu/2020/04/15/warren-wilson-college-to-join-ncaa-division-iii/

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 23, 2020, 10:10:35 AM
Bob Jones joins North Carolina's Warren Wilson College as provisional members in 2020-21.  Warren Wilson, a school with fewer than 700, offers M/W Basketball, Lacrosse, Swimming, XC, and Tennis.

https://www.warren-wilson.edu/2020/04/15/warren-wilson-college-to-join-ncaa-division-iii/

There are actually three provisionals - mentioned in the Conference Changes thread (I believe) in Men's Basketball/Multi-Regional Topics.

Bob Jones
Warren Wilson
Manor (Philadelphia area)

I've mentioned that likely these schools could go into the new CAC/ACAA merger - I know at least one of these schools was already in discussions with the ACAA about doing this. Then they could move on to a conference with more under their belt. I think the USA South is too big - plain and simple - to take on Bob Jones and Warren Wilson. A now (or was) delayed/no-longer-discussing USAS split needs to happen at this point. I don't know the best way or options or anything right now, but the USAS can't pick these two up especially with the size they are in sports like basketball. It has become insane and difficult to compete for a single AQ (and before anyone asks, no, the USAS cannot have two AQs like the MAC - the MAC was grandfathered into that arrangement).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Inkblot

2020–21 will be Manor's exploratory year, right?
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Gray Fox

If there are no sports next year, will they have to pause the process?
Fierce When Roused

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Wow.  Bob Jones jumping the gun.  The membership committee report isn't even out yet.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 24, 2020, 09:45:58 AM

Wow.  Bob Jones jumping the gun.  The membership committee report isn't even out yet.

I don't believe that is true ... I know the PDF is usually not updated until September, but institutions are usually told within a few months of January's deadline whether they are moving forward. So we are well past that point (DII is the one who waits until July). I know I read it somewhere quite a few weeks ago that the three schools were in the mix. I need to figure out where that was.

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 23, 2020, 07:31:34 PM

Most of this isn't really sports as it is paperwork, procedures, meetings, etc. I am not sure if any of that comes off the rails even though some sports may not be playing or at their usual full schedules.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 25, 2020, 02:20:39 PM

I don't believe that is true ... I know the PDF is usually not updated until September, but institutions are usually told within a few months of January's deadline whether they are moving forward. So we are well past that point (DII is the one who waits until July). I know I read it somewhere quite a few weeks ago that the three schools were in the mix. I need to figure out where that was.

Most of this isn't really sports as it is paperwork, procedures, meetings, etc. I am not sure if any of that comes off the rails even though some sports may not be playing or at their usual full schedules.

They'll be in the June Membership Committee minutes.  I'm sure the schools were informed as soon as the vote was taken.  We just haven't seen the minutes yet.  I'm not saying it was inappropriate to announce - just messing with the timing.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 25, 2020, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 25, 2020, 02:20:39 PM

They'll be in the June Membership Committee minutes.  I'm sure the schools were informed as soon as the vote was taken.  We just haven't seen the minutes yet.  I'm not saying it was inappropriate to announce - just messing with the timing.

I am looking for it ... but I shared it with our slack group in late May. It was in the Management Council. I just have to find the official notes and whatnot.

UPDATE: Here it is: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d3/mc_mgmt/Apr2020D3MCPC_SummaryofActions.pdf (Page 12)