FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3fan1515

RF, there haven't been many followers on the board lately so I don't think your going to get much of an answer until closer to camp.

old 40

d3fan1515

I have been off the board for awhile. Not much going on so I thought we would wait till the season got closer. I follow AU, my middle son graduated last year and my youngest is going to play at an NAIA school this fall. I hope to see some AU games especially BU. This should be for all the marbles. I have heard that AU has over 60 Freshmen and transfers coming in. IMHO they will have the Best QB, TE and Defense in the league. I think BU will be as good this year as last but will miss the QB. In AU land some kids say they have several good transfers, like they did a year ago. IMHO BU has the best RB in the NAC. I think WLC has a kid who is also very good.

Have not heard much about anyone else but my friend has a kid at CUW and I hear they have two top QB's coming in, one from Florida and one from Wisconsin somewhere. I think they are the sleeper team and could be in the mix, their preseason schedule is very hard.

Talk to everybody later on and good luck to everyone's team this year.

Pat when do you think the kickoff signup will be ready. Great report, can't wait.

d3fan1515

Wow, those are some great numbers for AU, they should have more then enough bodies to draw from with those kind of numbers.  I have to agree with you on the AU-BU game, I definitely think that should be for all the marbles or it is a let down season for both teams. I also agree with you on AU's QB situation as he was a pretty good player last year, I expect nothing less then a battle when we play you guys and I'm sure it will be. Now for BU's pre season offensive outlook!

Offensive Returnees,
RB- Returning starter- 5'8 185 lbs, John Borsellino, probably the most explosive player in the NAC, if John plays as well as he did last year, I think he can be a nominee for NAC player of the year!

QB- 5'10 190 lbs,  Matt Brown, Matt got a lot of playing time the first 3 games last year as him and Earl battled it out, however he ended up losing the starting spot to Earl come conference play. Matt is a little bit smaller then Earl, but he is more athletic so I can see him making more plays with his feet then Earl did! Spoke with some of the guys from last years team and they told me that they believed that Brown made better decisions with the football then Earl did.

WO- Returning starter- 6'2 205 lbs, Brandin Austin, big, strong, physical kid who has great hands and goes up to get the ball Brandin had a great year last year and I believe will have an even better year this year!

T- Returning starter, 6'2 320 lbs, Kevin Novacich, a big physical kid who plays hard from whistle to whistle probably BU's best linemen.

T- Returning starter, 6'5 275 lbs, Patrick Sterk, another big kid who was only a sophomore last year, he now has a full year of experience under his belt, and another year in the weight room under his belt so I'm looking for big improvement from this guy this year.

G- Returning starter, 6'0 290 lbs, Dewey Henninger, tough kid who is also very strong should also show lots of improvement this year as he was only a sophomore last year as well.

G- Returning Starter, 6'4 275 lbs, Stephan Segura, a transfer last year from D2 Lincoln university, he was rotated in as he did not grasp all of the offense right off the bat, but I expect him to be a starter this year and I expect him and novacich to anchor the O-line!

C- Not sure who will take the centers spot from last year, I know BU got Kyle Bulfer back 6'0 285 lbs, who was a starter as a sophomore but then left school, but is now back again. I can see him being this guy, guess we will find out come camp.

FB- A question mark for the eagles this year, I know they recruited a few fb's this off season, so I can't really preview this position yet.

WO- Another question mark for the eagles this year, though I hear they got a transfer from a D2 school to fill this void, but again another question mark at the moment.

TE- Returning starter, 6'0 215 lbs, a main stay for the eagles at this position for the last few years, mostly relied on to block, and he does a good job at it, but he can also cath the ball pretty well which is a plus.

Other players of note, John Alessi, Eddie Boncela, and Derek Hitt.

BU has some definite returning talent coming into the season, the offense should be a real strength for BU this year and I am looking forward to seeing these guys go to work come august 14th. Defensive preview coming soon.

old 40

I know the board has been quiet but I hope all the old and new users have $10.00 to spend on the 2011 Kickoff. It's a Great read on D3 football. I would encourage all to buy one. I just signed up for it. It's easy if a AU guy can do it.

More football stuff later when I hear something.

MRedbirds77

I am excited to see the BU, CUC game.I was at a different game the one two years ago, but I was at the one last year where CUC could not stop any kind of pass...As far as the recent comment of that RB from BU being the most exciting player in the NAC I think that #1 WR from CUC will be. I am excited to see how the cougars do on offense and if they change anything up. I know they will always have some kind of weapons on that side of the ball, but can the defense when it counts stop anybody? I am a little disappointed to see the most recent talk has been about BU and AU counting out the cougars who have been a nose hair away the past two seasons. But I am just a fan we will have to let the team,players, and coaches figure that out. I am starting to get excited for the season and wish every team in the NAC luck and can't wait to see some good games...

d3fan1515

R comments about AU and BU are based on what each team has returning. AU as well as BU both have a lot of returning starters coming back and as everyone knows you win championships with Juniors and Seniors! I think CUC has been left out of the conversation as of late because we all know that they lost a very talented SR class and I think that is why they are not being talked about like AU and BU. That being said the games are won on the field not on this message board, but it is fun to speculate.

RFMichigan

Part of the fun of this part of the year is to see which new players - be they freshman or transfers -  the respective conference schools bring in.

Speaking of bringing in new players, I think the standard for this year has to be Concordia - Ann Arbor. According to their website they are bringing in 80 :o freshman for this, the second year of their program. However, they are playing a regular schedule (not a jv one) with primarily freshman along with about a dozen sophs.

They may need those 80 freshman . . . 

WLCALUM83

d3fan1515

BU had 138 players report to camp on day 1 of camp!

d3fan1515

BU tabbed as pre-season favorite by the coaches poll, followed by AU and CIRF.  BU ousted AU by 1 vote, should be a wild ride in the NAC this 2011 season!

MRedbirds77

I saw the rankings came out for the NAC and even though I been following my cougars for awhile now since I moved into the area with my family, I do agree those other two teams should be ahead of them in the rankings. I have heard but am unsure that CUC got a very good RB and QB transfer but I don't know that for a fact yet. I am hoping CUC can stop the pass and make it over the hump they came short of these past two years. ;D .. The season is right around the corner and I ready to see BU vs AU, AU vs CUC, and can't wait for BU vs CUC, as I fan I am just hoping to see some close games. Once I find out for sure if CUC got those transfer and where they are from I will let you guys know,,until then

formerd3db

Quote from: RFMichigan on August 10, 2011, 11:50:23 AM
Part of the fun of this part of the year is to see which new players - be they freshman or transfers -  the respective conference schools bring in.

Speaking of bringing in new players, I think the standard for this year has to be Concordia - Ann Arbor. According to their website they are bringing in 80 :o freshman for this, the second year of their program. However, they are playing a regular schedule (not a jv one) with primarily freshman along with about a dozen sophs.

They may need those 80 freshman . . .  

RFMichigan:

That reminds me of "way back when" at U of Pitt in the mid-1970's when Johnny Majors brought in 80 freshmen, one of whom was a skinny 160 lb freshman running back, who started the fall as the #6 running back.  He went on to gain over 1,000 yards his freshman year (not even starting the first couple of games or so as I recall) and thereafter, one of their greatest players ever.  His name, of course?...Tony Dorsett.  I remember that was a huge amount of freshman to bring in at that time anywhere, let alone DI, which I think was unheard of for DI at that time and obviously cannot happen today (except at perhaps DIII, NAIA - I don't think DII can do it or would want to). Maybe Concordia-Ann Arbor is on to something?!!! ;D

Since your post is the topic of #s reporting to camp, Hope had 116 report on Sunday/Monday, which is down from the 150-160 range we've had the past few years.  On the other hand, the "smaller" number is obviously much more manageable, even with the usual attrition that will inevitably occur during the first week for various reasons (players leaving and/or injuries, obviously, hoping the latter is minimal if any).  Anyway, thanks for the update.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

d3fan1515

Who are the NAC teams scrimmaging this weekend? BU is scrimmaging Illinois Weslyan!

old 40

d3fan-

AU scrimmages North Central on Thursday.

d3fan1515

Attended the Red and White game, few questions I had about the team stood out to me!

QB- made very good decisions and has a very good arm! Was nervous about this kid, but I feel better about him now!

RB- Stud!

OL- Should pick up right were the left off last year!

WO- Austin is a stud, the other spot is being battled out right now by 3 guys!

The defense is were I had most of my questions and most of them got answered!

DL- is BIG unlike the last few years at BU the DL is going to be big for the next few years! They got a transfer DE who is 6'3 280 according to roster and can run!

LB's- looked good they got one returning starter back, and they got a transfer MLB from Harper who is very good and very athletic, the Will LB is still being sorted out, 2 guys in the hunt for that position.

DBs- 3 of 4 returners, they are all very good ball players! The FS is being worked out two kids gunning for that position!

I will have more to come after the Weslyan scrimmage! This will be more of a test to truly see were we r at!