World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Bloody hell B. Silva hits the post, very close to 2-0.

blooter442

Ooof, ball is in the net but waved off! Another let-off for the Reds. Could well be 3-0.

blooter442

Flying Weasel

Whew!  Made it to halftime without any more damage.  And finally took a shot.  Crucial halftime talk for Klopp.  We can't afford to be pinned back and defending for another 45 minutes.

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 10, 2018, 03:33:47 PM
Whew!  Made it to halftime without any more damage.  And finally took a shot.  Crucial halftime talk for Klopp.  We can't afford to be pinned back and defending for another 45 minutes.

Ox had a decent effort right at the end of the half, Salah played him in on the right but the angle was not on and he put it high and wide. Better after a terrible first 40 minutes.

I wonder if City might be discouraged by not finding a second. No doubt they will keep pressing but that will only create more gaps to exploit, although you have to be able to possess the ball in order to do that. Hendo is a big miss in the engine room; Wijnaldum a passenger once again.

blooter442

Away goal, Salah! 1-1!

Looked like Mane had been fouled in the box by Ederson but Salah kept his cool, dribbled the loose ball around Ederson, and lobbed it into the net. Such a cool head on his shoulders.

Flying Weasel

SALAH!!!!!!!!  That's exactly what we needed!  Now let's keep this from getting nerve-wracking again.

blooter442

Oooh, Bobby Fir-mi-no! Fantastic right-footed curled finish from the left wing around Ederson and in off the post.

Flying Weasel

Who, me?  Nervous?  Nah.  Knew we had it in the bag all the way.

Flying Weasel

Roma just scored a third to even it up 4-4 on aggregate with the lone away goal!  Amazing!

blooter442

2-1 to Liverpool at the Etihad. Who would have thought that? One-sided as could be in the first half (and perhaps some luck that City didn't go further  ahead) but the second was an unbelievable display of composure at both ends of the pitch.

Flying Weasel

Roma is through.  And everyone thought if anyone would overturn a 3-goal deficit, it would be ManCity against Liverpool. not Roma against Barca.

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on April 10, 2018, 04:41:15 PM
Roma is through.  And everyone thought if anyone would overturn a 3-goal deficit, it would be ManCity against Liverpool. not Roma against Barca.

Roma deserved that, it was 3-0 but could have been more. Barcelona were awful. I don't care what the first leg score was, if you lose the second game 3-0 you can have no complaints about getting knocked out. They didn't deserve to go through.

truenorth

I've enjoyed reading your updates Blooter and Flying Weasel.  I had to travel yesterday but taped the Liverpool v. Man City game and watched it in its entirety last night without knowing the result in advance.  Liverpool absolutely earned their way into the Champions League semis and did it with a combination of gutty defense and timely goals from the usual suspects.

I just noted that Juventus scored twice in the first half of their game with Real Madrid and are within a goal of advancing...  This has been an exciting round of quarterfinal matches!

jknezek

Wow. Thoughts on the late penalty that sent Real Madrid through? I think it could be a penalty, but at 90+7 I'm not deciding the game as a referee on that foul...