MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spwood

In light of the weather, is Plattsburgh already in Philadelphia?  It would seem too late to leave now as the storm is already affecting areas south of us...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: spwood on March 07, 2018, 08:50:39 AM
In light of the weather, is Plattsburgh already in Philadelphia?  It would seem too late to leave now as the storm is already affecting areas south of us...

The weather isn't a concern. It will be a non-story by Thursday. The temps are high enough it will all melt pretty quick. Last week's storm was timed far worse and was far bigger and nastier... it did cause some problems at Cabrini (especially one team who decided to bus in that day). This isn't going to be a big deal at all.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

spwood - wasn't saying you did indicate that... I was basing my thoughts on Magicman's thoughts (below):

Quote from: magicman on March 04, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
I have been looking for info on where the sectional is going to be. The NCAA sucks. We should have been the host. Swarthmore didn't even win their conference tournament. The NCAA gives a sectional to an at large team that is ranked 3rd in their region over Plattsburgh,  SUNYAC regular season champs, SUNYAC conference tournament champs, #1 ranked team in their region, the best record among the 4 teams(tied with Hamilton) and the only host team in the quadrant that won their pod.

bear,

So much for the cheap NCAA (which we know how cheap they can be from past years) sending the 3 teams to Swarthmore which is the highest total mileage.

Thus my comment... it doesn't matter if Swarthmore didn't win the conference tournament. It isn't part of the conversation just as it isn't part of the conversation when it comes to regional rankings. Magicman, you know better.

As for being cheap... well, let me start here:

Quote from: thebear on March 04, 2018, 11:57:54 AM
Hamilton has a 5,000 seat facility. 

Total Miles 655 at Hamilton, 696 at Springfield, 852 at Plattsburgh, 931 at Swarthmore. 

Hamilton plays in the NESCAC which is the #7 conference, SUNYAC is #23. 

Hamilton is ranked 27 in Massey,  Swarthmore 31, Plattsburgh 42, Springfield 101. 

NCAA is cheap, BTW all 4 colleges are on break starting 3/9  ???

I struck-out out the items that have nothing to do with hosting...

The seating capacity is a nice thing for the NCAA, though for the record Hamilton does NOT seat 5,000... more like 2,000 based on what the school has told the NCAA officially.

There is hosting criteria and when that criteria doesn't dictate an automatic answer (which it doesn't in this case), the regional rankings and criteria play their role. Hamilton I thought had a good argument, but from what I was told the committee felt strongly in Swarthmore's favor. The stuff above... irrelevant.

Quote from: magicman on March 04, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
bear,

So much for the cheap NCAA (which we know how cheap they can be from past years) sending the 3 teams to Swarthmore which is the highest total mileage.

In other words... why do we care about mileage in terms of totals? The costs are basically the same if we are busing. I remember one team that got to Salem had been sent to basically the maximum under 500 for every weekend prior (think it was 2013, so it was a bit more extreme). Just because they had a lot of mileage doesn't mean they host - or don't - for some reason.

The point: as long as the mileage is under 500, the NCAA feels any bus trip is the same expense no matter the actual costs. If we started getting into the costs of each individual trip down to the penny, bracketing would be an even bigger pain in the ass. The NCAA makes it simple for the committee and mileage of teams traveling... doesn't mean jack.

I am really confused by some of the comments in here recently. It is like we are making things up or forgetting the basics of how this all works.

I said above, I thought Hamilton had a strong case to possibly host.. the committee felt otherwise with the data they have in front of them - which is more than we have in front of us.

BTW - stop blaming the NCAA. It is a cop out and gets old. Division III schools vote on and decide their own rules within the committees made up of member schools and ultimately votes at each year's NCAA Convention. The "NCAA" doesn't make these things up. They simply carry out the mandate from the division. The division has to work within it's budget for the entire year and set rules in place for all of it's championships. You may consider them cheap, but they are spending more money now than they have in the past and working with a budget of $30m+ for this year in which over 75% of it goes towards the championships. I'll add, basketball is one of the top three championships expenditures each year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Dave,

There was a report on the news last night about how much money the NCAA made this past year. It was a staggering amount. Spend more on the student-athletes in Division 3. After all it is the one division that truly represents the standards the NCAA professes to adhere to. Yeah I think the NCAA is cheap. Spend some of that money and for once send 3 teams out west to Whitman. They've earned the right to host as well. They could send 3 teams out there by just telling all their lawyers to take the weekend off and not eat out. ::)   

Plattsburgh did everything it was supposed to do to merit becoming a host of the sectional. The won their entry into the NCAA tournament by winning their conference's automatic bid. They weren't given an at large bid like the other 3 teams in the sectional.  They won their regular season conference crown in a runaway, with a 17-1 record. They were the #1 ranked team in the East Region in the final rankings. They have the longest current winning streak in the country at 21 games. (I know, I know, has nothing to do with who gets to host)  They have the best overall record of the sectional teams. All of this represents a body of work, one that outshines the other teams they were up against. What else could we do to gain the right to host? We didn't have our best player in the 4 losses we had. Jon Patron averages a double-double of around 24 points and 11 rebounds. We were 4-4 without him. 20-0 with him. We could have been undefeated with him, or at the worst 27-1. We were never ranked until the 2nd to last week of the season. We were never given the "Kent Raymond" treatment like Wheaton (Ill.) was back in 2009. No one thought about how good is Plattsburgh with Patron? If we did go 27-1 or undefeated we still wouldn't have been chosen to host according to "the criteria". And comparing Southern Vermont hosting Wesleyan to Plattsburgh hosting the sectional is not the same thing. I'm surprised at you! :D

I'll ask again...what exactly did we have to do to earn the right to host the sectional? We did everything we could.     

None of the other sectional teams in our quadrant won their conference's regular season title. None of the other teams won their conference tournament. We are the only team among the 4 to enter the NCAA tournament with a win instead of a loss. None of the other 3 teams are ranked #1 in their respective region. They were 3rd, 4th, and 6th....not even close to a #1  regional ranking. They didn't ring the bell, why should they benefit when the Cardinals accomplished all the goals these teams couldn't.

If criteria was so important and Swarthmore's  SOS was better than Plattsburgh's (and that's all that was better)  then why wasn't Hamilton, who had a better SOS than Swarthmore, a better win percentage than Swarthmore and a better won-loss record against regionally ranked opponents 6-3 vs 3-4, chosen over them. I can't make sense of what the committee did. I realize it's a bunch of coaches from all the regions but I don't think they gave Plattsburgh State or Hamilton for that matter, a fair shake. The SUNYAC has consistently been overlooked in favor of the private schools. This year was no exception and I think a majority of people following D3 hoops would have expected Plattsburgh, with their outstanding season, to be the sectional host.

I guess the bottom line, Dave, is that we won't agree on this one. If Plattsburgh's great season wasn't enough to give them the right to host this sectional, even with all of the other first round hosts losing, (and lets face it usually a first round host is chosen to host a sectional, unless they all lose) then I wonder if that moment will ever arrive again.

I think this sectional is a fairly even match up of 4 quality teams, any one of which can advance to the Final Four. I would have liked to have home court advantage and felt we earned it, more so than the other teams. I wish there had been a poll on the front page asking the D3hoop members to vote on who they thought should have hosted this sectional. I'm pretty sure Plattsburgh would have been the #1 answer. I've had an awful lot of knowledgeable D3hoops people ask me why we aren't hosting. I can't, for the life of me, give them a straight answer. :( 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: magicman on March 08, 2018, 03:51:57 PM

There was a report on the news last night about how much money the NCAA made this past year. It was a staggering amount. Spend more on the student-athletes in Division 3.

3.18% of the annual NCAA budget goes to Division III. Changing that requires a vote of all NCAA members, and it's unlikely that Division I schools, let alone the Power Five, would vote to give themselves less.

The sectional hosting decision doesn't seem to be about money. I don't know the reason, but it's not about money.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave,

There was a report on the news last night about how much money the NCAA made this past year. It was a staggering amount. Spend more on the student-athletes in Division 3. After all it is the one division that truly represents the standards the NCAA professes to adhere to. Yeah I think the NCAA is cheap. Spend some of that money and for once send 3 teams out west to Whitman. They've earned the right to host as well. They could send 3 teams out there by just telling all their lawyers to take the weekend off and not eat out. ::)

As Pat already mentioned, DIII gets 3.18% of the budget. NCAA has more revenue, DIII gets more as well. At the same percentage.

BTW - the number you read was REVENUE. Not how much the NCAA actually MADE (NET INCOME). NCAA is non-profit, FYI.

The ENTIRE NCAA would have to vote to change the percentages. Feel free to ask DI schools if they would consider it. This has been the percentage since the inception of the divisions.

Plattsburgh did everything it was supposed to do to merit becoming a host of the sectional. The won their entry into the NCAA tournament by winning their conference's automatic bid. They weren't given an at large bid like the other 3 teams in the sectional.  They won their regular season conference crown in a runaway, with a 17-1 record. They were the #1 ranked team in the East Region in the final rankings. They have the longest current winning streak in the country at 21 games. (I know, I know, has nothing to do with who gets to host)  They have the best overall record of the sectional teams. All of this represents a body of work, one that outshines the other teams they were up against. What else could we do to gain the right to host? We didn't have our best player in the 4 losses we had. Jon Patron averages a double-double of around 24 points and 11 rebounds. We were 4-4 without him. 20-0 with him. We could have been undefeated with him, or at the worst 27-1. We were never ranked until the 2nd to last week of the season. We were never given the "Kent Raymond" treatment like Wheaton (Ill.) was back in 2009. No one thought about how good is Plattsburgh with Patron? If we did go 27-1 or undefeated we still wouldn't have been chosen to host according to "the criteria". And comparing Southern Vermont hosting Wesleyan to Plattsburgh hosting the sectional is not the same thing. I'm surprised at you! :D

Yep - you already know this is coming - most of what you mentioned means nothing to hosting.

- Won their entry to the tournament as an AQ - congrats, doesn't affect hosting decisions (helps bracketing and seeding, though).
- The others getting at-large bids, means nothing.
- #1 in the East Region is a nice feather in the cap, but their criteria numbers weren't that solid. They would not have been in the top five in the Northeast, top three or four in the Mid-Atlantic, and maybe third in the Atlantic Region. There is a reason Brockport was the only at-large selection in the East Region... the numbers in the region just aren't that good.
- Longest winning streak is a nice thing, but again... not criteria (as you clearly know, but mentioned anyway).
- Best overall record is also nice, but there is SOS, vRRO, head-to-head, and comparable opponents also included as part of the primary criteria. Plattsburgh trails in most of those to the point that they would have probably been the third choice in this group to host.
- Not sure you can say it automatically outshines the other opponents especially since Plattsburgh played in a down SUNYAC this year that doesn't compare to the NESCAC, especially, and the Centennial. Even the NEWMAC appear to be a better conference, IMO, than the SUNYAC this year.
- What do they have to do to host? Improve their numbers. .523 SOS is right at the "good" or "average" spot. And 3-3 is nice, but not against a lot of teams outside of the East Region. They have to improve those numbers and/or opponents. They also have to beat opponents that will matter - Middlebury was ranked fifth in the NE Region, didn't help Platt to lose. Keene State was ranked 7th, and Platt lost which doesn't help their case. That's just two examples.
- Yes, you didn't have your best player for the four losses, but that means nothing to the committee. It isn't part of what they are allowed to look at. Games are equal across the board and there is no criteria that says "eye test" or "who were they missing." They might have been undefeated with Patron and if they were, this wouldn't be a conversation... but they weren't... and those games mean the same as the ones he played in.
- And why isn't Southern Vermont/Wesleyan the same convo? Williams won the NESCAC title for the AQ; Wesleyan got an at-large. Southern Vermont won the AQ in their conference. By your argument, SVC should have been hosting over Wesleyan because Southern Vermont won the AQ. What I am pointing out here is the simple fact... the AQ argument isn't valid.

I'll ask again...what exactly did we have to do to earn the right to host the sectional? We did everything we could.

I've already explained... better resume outside of just their WL%. Better SOS, better vRRO (especially beat teams in other regions that are ranked well).

None of the other sectional teams in our quadrant won their conference's regular season title. None of the other teams won their conference tournament. We are the only team among the 4 to enter the NCAA tournament with a win instead of a loss. None of the other 3 teams are ranked #1 in their respective region. They were 3rd, 4th, and 6th....not even close to a #1  regional ranking. They didn't ring the bell, why should they benefit when the Cardinals accomplished all the goals these teams couldn't.

You have to get off of this. You act like a) conferences are equal, b) the SUNYAC was as strong as usual, and c) regions are equal. None of that is or was true this year. The conferences aren't equal. NESCAC is one of the best in the country, Centennial is better especially at top (far better at the top) than the SUNYAC, and the NEWMAC seemed to be better this year if you look at the numbers. Also, the East Region isn't very strong right now. The NE Region is certainly better than the East as East teams wouldn't rank very high when compared head-to-head. Thus why there were more at-large selections from the NE Region than the East Region (1).

If criteria was so important and Swarthmore's  SOS was better than Plattsburgh's (and that's all that was better)  then why wasn't Hamilton, who had a better SOS than Swarthmore, a better win percentage than Swarthmore and a better won-loss record against regionally ranked opponents 6-3 vs 3-4, chosen over them. I can't make sense of what the committee did. I realize it's a bunch of coaches from all the regions but I don't think they gave Plattsburgh State or Hamilton for that matter, a fair shake. The SUNYAC has consistently been overlooked in favor of the private schools. This year was no exception and I think a majority of people following D3 hoops would have expected Plattsburgh, with their outstanding season, to be the sectional host.

I've said I was surprised Hamilton didn't have a better case, but I talked to those on the committee and apparently they felt strongly that Swarthmore was the best choice. We even had a committee member on the show talking about his team and asked him.

BTW - the WL record of the vRRO is now how they measure that criteria. It is "results" versus regionally ranked opponents. Who did you play, who did you beat, who did you lose to... where are those teams ranked. It is NOT a WL criteria data set. Never has been.

You can say the SUNYAC is overlooked in favor of private schools, but that is also just a straw man's argument. First off, the division is made up of 20% or less in public schools. The numbers are always going to side with privates simply by the make-up of the division. Secondly, BROCKPORT MADE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT AS AN AT-LARGE TEAM OVER HOBART and MANY other private schools. The argument is BS considering NONE of us thought Brockport would even be in a position to be selected.

And no... a majority of people did NOT think Plattsburgh would be the host. You are welcome to talk to the entire staff at D3hoops.com who didn't feel that way. We know how this works the best of all and I thought it was Hamilton or Swarthmore and not Plattsburgh.

I guess the bottom line, Dave, is that we won't agree on this one. If Plattsburgh's great season wasn't enough to give them the right to host this sectional, even with all of the other first round hosts losing, (and lets face it usually a first round host is chosen to host a sectional, unless they all lose) then I wonder if that moment will ever arrive again.

Great season by your definition and by the definition of ONE criteria mark. Again, SOS was average at best (that number and below is pretty much in the zone of not being selected as at-large most years) and their 3-3 vRRO wasn't that impressive.

BTW - No.. a first round host is NOT basically chosen to host a sectional if they move on. We can go through a LOT of examples in recent years no less where this does NOT hold water. There are so many variables that it is NOT a given. And I don't feel it should be a given. Sure, there is a decent chance, but with other brackets having different teams and the fact we have geography that is always in play... assuming because you hosted in the first weekend you will host in the second is a fool's errand. The committee felt Plattsburgh was the right choice for the opening weekend to host. When they looked at the remaining teams they felt they were not the right choice. I agree looking at that, though again, I would have picked Hamilton (though, we also don't know if there were other reasons for that choice like hosting bid information).

I think this sectional is a fairly even match up of 4 quality teams, any one of which can advance to the Final Four. I would have liked to have home court advantage and felt we earned it, more so than the other teams. I wish there had been a poll on the front page asking the D3hoop members to vote on who they thought should have hosted this sectional. I'm pretty sure Plattsburgh would have been the #1 answer. I've had an awful lot of knowledgeable D3hoops people ask me why we aren't hosting. I can't, for the life of me, give them a straight answer. :(

Yes. Any of the four can advance and in men's Division III basketball less than half the hosts end up moving through. The percentages are with the traveling teams than the host teams.

And you can go ahead and think Plattsburgh would have won that poll... I am willing to bet those who know how the criteria and selections work... would have picked Hamilton or Swarthmore. Apparently you should send those "knowledgeable" people to me... because maybe they aren't that knowledgeable about the process and decision making and I would be happy to explain it. I explain it every show night on Hoopsville.

magicman

NCAA Sectional  Sweet 16

Plattsburgh State at Swarthmore     7:30 PM

This is a tough game to call and it just may come down to home court advantage. Both teams had been successful because they have outrebounded the opposition by a wide margin. Swarthmore is 5th in the country in rebound differential and Plattsburgh is 13th. Both teams have a trio of very good offensive rebounders.

Swarthmore comes at you with 3 big men and 6'7" sophomore forward, Zac O'Dell, with a total of of 236 rebounds (8.1 rpg), 93 of them on the offensive end, leads the way. He also averages 10.5 ppg. Robbie Walsh, a 6'8" senior forward, has a total of 179 rebounds (6.2 rpg) of which 48 are offensive rebounds. He averages 8.5 ppg. Sophomore Nate Shafer is a 6'6" forward, who comes off the bench and has grabbed 47 offensive rebounds among his total 162 boards (6.2 rpg). He is scoring 9.7 ppg.

The Garnet have a pair of excellent guards who lead them in scoring.  Cam Wiley, a 6'0" junior guard, is an All American candidate again, after receiving 3rd team honors last season, from the NABC. He's having another outstanding year, as he is averaging 16.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and almost 4 assists per game. He is quick, can penetrate, dish or finish, and also hurt you from downtown. He will be a handful to keep in check. 6'2" senior Zack Yonda, another starting guard, is the 2nd leading scorer on the team, averaging 13.6 ppg and 3.5 rpg. He can also shoot the 3ball, making 2 per game at a 41% clip. The other starting player is 6'0" freshman guard, Ryan Ingram. He averages 6.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg and has made 34 three pointers.   

Also off the bench has freshman guard, Conor Harkins, a 6'3" long distance specialist who leads the team with 73 three pointers. He has a total of 84 field goals so when he shoots it is almost always from behind the arc. The Garnet have two other guards that come off the bench that are part of their 9 man rotation.

Swarthmore will run a lot of plays near the top of the lane looking to set screens for their shooters and crash the offensive boards. They are well coached and will look to get the ball to their big men early and often.

Plattsburgh State will counter with a triumvirate of their own excellent rebounders. The Cardinals are led by All American candidate and SUNYAC Player of the Year, 6'2" junior forward Jon Patron. Jon led the SUNYAC in scoring with 24.3 ppg and also was the leading rebounder with 10.6 rpg. He is shooting 56% from the field, 75% from the line and 35 %from behind the arc. When he gets the ball inside he is nearly unstoppable and has faced bigger men and double teams in every game he's played. He has yet to taste defeat this year as the Cardinals are 20-0 in the games he's played.  He has 212 rebounds and 71 of them are on the offensive end. Ian Howard is a 6'3" junior forward, who like Patron plays much bigger. Plattsburgh's coach has called Ian, the best offensive rebounder he's ever coached.  Howard has amassed 217 rebounds this season and 96 of them are of the offensive variety.  He averages 7.8 rpg and 4.8 ppg.  Eric Mack is a 6'3" senior guard, who has a leaping ability not usually seen in Division III. Coming off the bench and playing from the guard position, he has managed to accumulate 155 rebounds, with 49 of those off the offensive glass. Mack averages 5.5 rpg, 10.9 ppg and was the leading shot blocker in the SUNYAC conference. He has been credited with 61 blocks but in one game on the road he was credited with 0 blocks when he had at least 6 in that game.

One stat worth noting as I looked at the numbers regarding the rebounding battle, is that the Plattsburgh trio has 584 rebounds between them, of which 216 are offensive boards. This was done with the 3 players playing a total of 1703 minutes between them.

The Swarthmore threesome has 577 rebounds with 188 of them offensive ones. They did this with the 3 players on the court for a total of 1955 minutes.

Plattsburgh also has a long bench that will go 10 deep. Starters  senior guard Zack Coleman is a 6'2" defensive specialist that will probably have the assignment on Swarthmore's Wiley. Zack will run the point on offense and can score when asked to do so. He averages 4.4 ppg, 2 assists per game and 1.8rpg. 8Chris Middleton, is a 6'7" junior guard who averages 8.2 ppg and 5.6 rpg. Middleton also crashes the offensive boards and has a total of 51 on that end. Nick DeAngelis is a 6'4" sophomore guard that can shoot the three pointer and go to the hoop with authority. His 48 made 3's are 2nd most on the team.

The main threat coming off the bench is the scoring ability and quickness of 5'11" guard Eli Bryant. Normally a starter Bryant elected to come off the bench this year and has lit a fire under the team on numerous occasions. He was the 2nd leading scorer in the SUNYAC conference averaging 19.1 ppg in conference play and did that playing less minutes than a number of the other top 10 players. Overall Eli averaged 16 ppg, 3.3 assists per game and 2.9 rpg.  Brandon Johnson, a 5'10" junior guard, is another super quick guard who brings instant offense to the Cardinal offense. Able to get to the rim and also knock down the 3 pointer, Johnson has made 40 triples this year. He averages 8.9 ppg, 2.7 apg and 2.3 rpg.  6'7" sophomore, Adam Jaquish and 6'7" junior Isaiah Hill will both provide quality minutes to give the Cardinal forward a break.

Plattsburgh wil play an uptempo game and look to get the ball inside to Patron as much as possible. Patron is adept at finding the open man when they double team him and many times that will result in a wide open three point look. The Cardinals ability for 2nd chance points has been a big part of their success and going head to head with another team that has that same style will be interesting.

The oddsmakers have Swarthmore favored to win this game by a 5 point margin. However if the game were in Plattsburgh they had the Cardinals favored by a single point. The odds favored Hamilton by 5 points as well in the early game and we've just seen the conclusion to that one and watched Springfield pull off the 92-90 upset in overtime. Here's hoping my Cardinals can pull off another mild upset. I think we are just as good as Swarthmore and wouldn't consider it an upset though. Plattsburgh keeps their winning streak alive as they come away with a 86-83 win to advance and play Springfield tomorrow.

Caz Bombers

AllStar

I'm sure you are disappointed with the result, but congratulations to magicman and the Cardinals on a great season!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Size was just too much of a factor in this one.  Plattsburgh just got housed to start the game and with the ability of Swarthmore to score, spotting them 20 points was way too much.  Good showing from the Cardinals, though - they hung in there and battled.  More importantly, Patron now knows what he has to add to his game for next year.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

magicman

Quote from: AllStar on March 09, 2018, 11:53:22 PM
I'm sure you are disappointed with the result, but congratulations to magicman and the Cardinals on a great season!

Thanks AllStar,

Was the worst game the Cardinals have played in quite a while. Have to give credit to Swarthmore, they were a very good team. It hurt  when Plattsburgh struggled early with their shooting woes and when Patron had to go to the bench with 2 fouls just 4 minutes into the game I knew we were in trouble. We weren't going to win without him and now we were in a hole without him. Coach Curle took a time out when the Cards fell behind 22-5 with 11:17 remaining in the half and put Patron back into the game. Might as well take your chances that he could stay out of foul trouble. Plattsburgh cut the deficit to 10 points but Swarthmore was able to to prevent them from getting any closer with an 8-2 spurt that built the lead back to 16. We needed to go into the break with a little momentum and after a steal by Eli Bryant and a dunk by Eric Mack narrowed the gap to 12, we couldn't get a stop on the other end and didn't score in our final possession of the period. The Cardinals needed to come out of the break on fire, to get back into the game but it was the Garnet that scored the first 2 buckets of the period and Plattsburgh was down by 19 quickly. After falling behind by 21 Plattsburgh tried to rally and a pair of baskets from Patron and a triple from Brandon Johnson cut the deficit to 16 but Swarthmore ran off a 17-4 run to put the game away. Plattsburgh shot 35% from the field...Swarthmore shot 59.7%. That's the story of this game in a nutshell.

Great season for the Cardinals and to make the Sweet 16 is quite an accomplishment. Hopefully with a large group of returning players next season, they can make another run.

To the Plattsburgh players....thanks for all the exciting games I was able to witness this year. A 21 game winning streak was quite a ride!!!  8-)   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Plattsburgh was just overmatched.  Curle earned a heap of respect from me - he was open and honest in the post-game press conference - no coachspeak or spin anywhere.  He came off as a coach who was tremendously proud of his players, but also one who knew how much it hurt to be exposed a bit.  Eric Mack did a great job as well, in what's basically an impossible situation.  Sometimes you run up against a better team.  If the shots had fallen early, perhaps they would've been able to make a game of it, but Swat is tough and they were playing their absolute best game of the year.

Plattsburgh is losing a lot, but they've got a strong bench - the guys who played the last minute were clearly talented - and Patron is back.  He's a smart player and I think he'll grow a lot over the summer.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

magicman

The National Association of Basketball Coaches announced their All Region Teams on Monday. Plattsburgh State and Brockport State were honored with the following players earning All District awards.

Jon Patron, Plattsburgh State, was named as the East Region's Player of the Year and to the All District First Team.

Hamed Shamseldin Brockport State was named to the All District First Team.

Eli Bryant, Plattsburgh State,  was named to the All District Second Team.

Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State, was named as the East Region's Coach of the Year.

Here is the complete list of the East Region All District Teams.

EAST

First Team                                                                       

Ryan Clamage, Rochester

Jonathan Patron, SUNY Plattsburgh*      District  Player of the Year

Edvinus Rupkus, Skidmore

Hamed Shamseldin, SUNY Brockport

Tyler Stenglein, Nazareth

Kevin Williams, SUNY Polytechnic

Second Team

Eli Bryant, SUNY Plattsburgh

Colin Dougherty, Hobart

Ivan Iton, Utica

Jamal Lucas, Hobart

Kevin Weckworth, Union

Coach of the Year: Tom Curle, SUNY Plattsburgh

Here's as link to the Complete NABC list of All District Teams:

http://nabc.com/NABC_Releases/2018/d3_all_district

magicman

D3hoops announced their All Region teams on March 12th and the accolades continue to accumulate for our top SUNYAC players. Congratulations to all the players and to Coach Curle.

Jon Patron, Plattsburgh State, was named as the Player of the Year for the East Region and to the First Team.

Hamed Shamseldin, Brockport State, was named to the First Team.

Eli Bryant, Plattsburgh State, was named to the Second Team.

Justin Cooper, Cortland State, was named to the Third Team.

Justin Summers, Brockport State, was named to the Third team.

Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State, was selected as the Coach of the Year for the East Region.

Here are all the players selected from the East Region.

Player of the Year: Jonathan Patron, Plattsburgh State
Coach of the Year: Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State
Rookie of the Year: Kevin Townes, Hartwick

First team       
Pos.   Player                    School           Yr.   Hometown
G    Edvinas Rupkus    Skidmore             Jr.    Naujoji Akmene, Lithuania
G    Hamed Shamseldin    Brockport             Sr.    Lawrence, N.Y.
G    Tyler Stenglein      Nazareth             Sr.    Rochester, N.Y.
F    Jonathan Patron    Plattsburgh State Jr.    Huntington, N.Y.
F    Kevin Williams            SUNY Poly           Sr.    Brooklyn, N.Y.
Second team       
Pos.   Player                    School            Yr.   Hometown
G    Eli Bryant              Plattsburgh State Sr.    Staten Island, N.Y.
G    Ryan Clamage            Rochester              Jr.    Lake Forest, Ill.
G    Colin Dougherty         Hobart              Jr.    Lockport, N.Y.
G    Jamal Lucas            Hobart              Jr.    New York, N.Y.
F    Ivan Iton                    Utica              Sr.    Ossining, N.Y.
Third team       
Pos.   Player                    School             Yr.   Hometown
G    Spencer Cook            Stevens               So. Washington Township, N.J.
G    Justin Cooper            Cortland               Jr. Pine Plains, N.Y.
G    Tom Horvat            RPI                       Jr. Cranston, R.I.
F    Jake Burgio            Nazareth                Jr. Brockport, N.Y.
F    Justin Summers         Brockport                So. Brooklyn, N.Y.

Here's a link to all the other regions:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2017-18/index