MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 26, 2018, 02:15:51 PM
This is just in......

CORTLAND, N.Y. - The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) has selected Buffalo State sophomore Sheldon Adams (Rochester, N.Y.) as its Men's Basketball Athlete of the Week.

Adams netted a career-best 31 points to lead Buffalo State to a 94-89 road victory over St. John Fisher in the Bengals' only action of the week. Adams was 8 of 12 from the field, including 4 of 8 from the 3-point range; he also hit 11 of 14 at the charity stripe. On top of his impressive offensive performance, the sophomore added five rebounds and three steals.

Congrats to Shelton.

Go BENGALS.

The obvious and only choice for this week's award. Big game against a good team that resulted in a W. Congratulations to Sheldon.

magicman

New D3hoops Top 25 poll was just released and Plattsburgh State moves up 1 spot to #13. The Cardinals point total increased from 214 to 295.

Rochester jumped from the Others Receiving Votes category at #27 into the Top 25 at #20 Their point total increased from 67 to 135.

The only other team from the East Region to receive any mention was Nazareth, who made the Others Receiving Votes category. The Golden Flyers got 32 points which puts them in the 32nd spot.

Here's the link to the complete poll: https://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/week1

Greek Tragedy

Apparently Nazareth's 3-0 start didn't impress anyone. They actually lost nearly half their votes. They started with 60 points, which was good for 28th.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/preseason
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

spwood

What about Middlebury's start screamed 5 place jump in the rankings?  The win over Endicott?  I know, I know.  It's early and the rankings don't mean a whole lot!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 27, 2018, 07:56:12 AM
Apparently Nazareth's 3-0 start didn't impress anyone. They actually lost nearly half their votes. They started with 60 points, which was good for 28th.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/preseason

To be fair ... the lose of points isn't because of Nazareth but because of other teams coming into the fray. The first week(s) vote tends to have a lot more movement as voters drop a lot of what they had for the preseason and look at actual results.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

I understand that. On the other hand, if they were impressive wins (or against quality opponents), their results should take care of themselves regardless of what happens around them.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Nov. 27      6 games on tap tonight and in a bit of an anomaly all 6 SUNYAC teams are favored by the oddsmakers.

Cortland State @ Ithaca 7:00 PM

The Red Dragons played Ithaca twice last year and the outcome of the two games was a 4 point win by Cortland, with the Bombers reversing the outcome and winning by two points 13 days later. The oddsmakers have made Cortland a road favorite of 2 points. A couple of weeks ago Ithaca beat Cortland by 3 points on the gridiron to win the Cortaca Jug game. I think the Red Dragons get some revenge. Cortland wins once again by 4 points, 84-80.

Alfred @ Geneseo State 7:30 PM

Alfred handled Geneseo by 11 points last year and the Saxons return 3 starters from that team. That's 2 more than the Knights return. Geneseo is favored by a 4 point margin but I think Alfred comes out on top in this game. I hope I'm wrong but I see the Saxons winning by an 80-73 final score.

Nazareth @ Oswego State 7:30 PM         Featured Game of the Night

The undefeated Lakers will finally get tested as the undefeated Golden Flyers invade Max Ziel Gym. Both teams come into the game with 3-0 records but the competition has been less than stellar. The combined records of the 6 teams that have lost to Nazareth and Oswego is 5-20. Last year Nazareth beat Oswego by 10 points and they were missing 2 of the players in their regular rotation. They returned all 5 players that started in that game, plus the 2 missing players. In fact Nazareth returned just about their entire team. Their two big guns are back, Tyler Stenglein, who has received preseason All-American hype and Jake Burgio who is presently averaging more ppg than Stenglein (24.7 to 19.7) They will be a handful.

Oswego counters with a lineup that features 4 guys averaging double figures and two others with 9.7 ppg. Brandon Gartland leads the way with 17.3 ppg, followed by transfer Quinn Carey, who was an all conference performer last year at Geneseo. He averages 15 ppg. Another new face is 6'5" forward Joe Sullivan who transferred in from DII Assumption College. He is averaging 11.7 ppg and 9.3 rpg. Senior Tyler Pierre (9.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg), soph, Liam Sanborn (7.3 ppg, 9.3 apg), junior Tim Marshall (9.7 ppg and scored 16 against Nazareth last year)and freshman Julien Crittendon (11.3 ppg)all add to the firepower that the Lakers can bring to this contest.

The oddsmakers have made Oswego a 4 point favorite and I'm hopeful that the reloaded Lakers can get the job done. Lakers win this one 87-84. I hope.

Plattsburgh State @ St. Lawrence 8:00 PM

The Cardinals are looking to go 3-0 in the Liberty League as they play their final opponent from that conference. Plattsburgh won last year's game by 16 points and these teams both return a majority of players that played in that game. Oddsmakers have the Cardinals favored by 12 points. I think they win by a few more. Plattsburgh 93 St. Lawrence 78.

Hartwick @ Oneonta State 8:00 PM

Oneonta takes on their local rivals who got a big win over Skidmore last Tuesday. The Hawks lost to the Red Dragons last year by a 90-79 score and return 4 of their top 7 scorers from that team. Oneonta has won two of the last three games in this matchup but is only 4-8 over the last 12 years. The Red Dragons are 3-0 this season but have yet to be challenged, winning by an average of 24 points. The oddsmakers have made Oneonta a 7 point favorite in this one. I also like the Red Dragons to win by a final score of 94- 86.   

Clarkson @ Potsdam State 8:00 PM

Crosstown rivals go at it once more with bragging rights on the line. It's been 6 years since the Bears have beaten the Golden Knights. I can remember when the pendulum swung the other way. Maybe this will be the year that Potsdam gets a win in this rivalry. The Bears are 1-3 and Clarkson is 0-4 with losses to SUNYAC schools Oswego and Plattsburgh already. The oddsmakers have Potsdam listed as a 3 point favorite. I'll take the Bears to win 76-72. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 27, 2018, 01:12:16 PM
I understand that. On the other hand, if they were impressive wins (or against quality opponents), their results should take care of themselves regardless of what happens around them.

That is true ... and one of the reasons I didn't move Nazareth up my ballot too much despite being unbeaten. I did move them up from 25 to around 20 (off the top of my head).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Cortland 85 Ithaca 75

The Red Dragons were up 79-75 with 1:47 left to play. Ithaca missed their final 5 shots and Cortland got 3 free throws and a 3 pointer to make the 10 point margin of victory. I had Cortland winning 84-80 so I wasn't too far off.

Nicky Bonura led Cortland with 22 points. Justin Cooper had a double-double of 19 points and 13 rebounds. Zach Lydon had 13 points and Kenny Charles had 12.

magicman

Oswego 70 Nazareth 55

The Lakers got balanced scoring with double figures from 4 starters and used a 12-0 run midway through the 2nd half to bust up a relatively close game as they breezed to the win by a comfortable margin. Up by 5 points at 44-39, the Lakers got a pair of 3 pointers and 3 layups while Nazareth was misfiring on 4 straight possessions. Now up 56-39 Oswego never let the Golden Flyers get closer than 12 points and extended the lead to to 20 points with 3:34 to play.

I expected a closer game but the Lakers controlled the boards 48-34 and kept Naz's 2 main threats under control. (They got 17 and 16 and no one else hit double figures)

Key stat....Lakers were 10x21 from long distance....Nazareth was 3x15.

Tyler Pierre and Liam Sanborn both had 18 points to lead Oswego and share scoring honors.

Pierre had almost as many rebounds as points, grabbing 15 boards to get his double-double and lead everyone in that category also. He also had 3 assists and 3 steals.

Sanborn had a game high 7 assists to go with his 18 points.

Joe Sullivan also had a double-double with 11 points and 14 rebounds. He added 3 steals and a pair of assists.

Quinn Carey had 15 points as he went 5x9 from behind the arc.

Oswego is now 4-0 and will take on conference foe Geneseo on Fridaynight at 7:30 PM and then Brockport on Saturday at 4:00 PM.   

magicman

magicman

magicman

magicman

Plattsburgh State 93  St. Lawrence 64

The Saints hung with Plattsburgh for much of the first half but the Cardinals maintained a lead between 2 and 8 points for most of the period. Back to back layups by Ian Howard and Chris Middleton put Plattsburgh in front 35-25 with 2:46 left in the half for their first double digit lead. St. Lawrence managed to cut the advantage to 7 as they scored on a putback with 1 second remaining to go into the break down 38-31.

The Saints scored on their opening possession after the intermission to narrow the gap to 5 but it was all Plattsburgh after that as the Cardinals ran off 13 unanswered points to lead 51-33. Brandon Johnson started the run with a three pointer. Chris Middleton hit a jumper, Jon Patron hit a jumper and Johnson got a layup off a steal and feed by Patron. Middleton made 2 free throws when he had a steal and was fouled going to the hoop. Johnson finished the run with another move to the basket for a layup. The Cardinals were never  seriously challenged after that. The lead grew to 31 points and both teams emptied their benches to close the game out.

Plattsburgh was led once again by Brandon Johnson who captured scoring honors with 26 points (10x14 fg, 5x7 3's, 1x3 ft). He had 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists and a block.

Jon Patron finally gets a double-double with 23 points and a game high 10 rebounds. Jon missed double-doubles in his first 3 games by a single rebound as he had 9 boards in each one of them. He added 4 assists and 3 steals.

Chris Middleton had 9 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals and a block.

Nick DeAngelis had 9 points 2 rebounds and 2 assists off the bench.

Isaiah Hill had 6 points 8 rebounds and assist and a block in 20 minutes of court time.

Adam Jacquish had 5 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal and a block in 14 minutes off the bench.

Plattsburgh outshot the Saints in all 3 areas, but the Saints won the rebounding battle 42-37. Plattsburgh had 14 turnovers to 23 for SLU.

Ben Crawford led St. Lawrence with 14 points. Brandon Arnold, Luke Hicks, and Dom DeRegis all scored 10 points each.

Plattsburgh is now 4-0 overall (3-0 in the Liberty League) and will open up conference play this weekend when they host New Paltz on Friday at 7:30 PM followed by Oneonta on Saturday at 4:00 PM.         

Bengalsrule

Nice. SUNYAC goes 5 - 1 against our fellow east conferences - Empire 8 and Liberty league!