MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckfan41

Over the century mark again for the Duhawks as they handle Central 109-92. Josh Ruggles with a stellar game to match a career high of 37 points to go along with 8 rebounds and 4 assists. Ruggles went a perfect 13-13 from the freethrow line, and only needed to hoist 13 shots for his 37 in 25 minutes of playing time. Matt Dacy-Seijo shot a blistering 5-5 from downtown and 5-6 overall for his total of 15 points. Ryan DiCanio turned in an effort of 16 points, 3 rebounds, and 4 assists.

To my knowledge, every player listed on the Duhawk's roster saw time tonight which is always a bonus for guys who may not see much varsity action. As a sidenote, maybe Aston Francis (of my Wheaton Thunder) could learn a thing or two from watching Josh Ruggles play, seeing as Francis managed 31 points on Saturday in a big rivalry game with North Central, but hoisted 25 shots compared to Ruggles' 13. Would love to see them match up with one another at some point before their college careers are over, and it would have been nice to have them on the same team here in Wheaton.

dunkin3117

Midway point in IIAC play.  Simpson has to be the hottest team in the league right now, winners of 6 straight, including W's over Loras and Wartburg.  As it stands currently...can't wait to try and sort out the tie breakers in this if the second half of the season is a repeat of the first.

6-2 Loras (Losses @Wartburg, @Simpson)
5-2 NWU (Losses vs. BV, @Loras)
5-2 BV (Losses vs. Loras, @Wartburg)
5-2 Wartburg (Losses @Coe, @Simpson)
5-2 Simpson (Losses @BV, @NWU)
3-4 Central
2-5 Coe
1-6 Dubuque
0-7 Luther

Wednesday
Simpson @ Central (Central by 5)
Wartburg @ NWU (NWU by 7)
Luther @ BV (BV by 20)
Coe @ Dubuque (UD by 8)
Loras on Bye

Saturday
Central @ Coe (Coe by 10)
NWU @ Dubuque (NWU by 15)
Loras @ Luther (Loras by 15)
Simpson @ BV (BV by 1)
Wartburg on Bye

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: dunkin3117 on January 16, 2018, 03:08:24 PM
Midway point in IIAC play.  Simpson has to be the hottest team in the league right now, winners of 6 straight, including W's over Loras and Wartburg.  As it stands currently...can't wait to try and sort out the tie breakers in this if the second half of the season is a repeat of the first.

6-2 Loras (Losses @Wartburg, @Simpson)
5-2 NWU (Losses vs. BV, @Loras)
5-2 BV (Losses vs. Loras, @Wartburg)
5-2 Wartburg (Losses @Coe, @Simpson)
5-2 Simpson (Losses @BV, @NWU)
3-4 Central
2-5 Coe
1-6 Dubuque
0-7 Luther

Wednesday
Simpson @ Central (Central by 5)
Wartburg @ NWU (NWU by 7)
Luther @ BV (BV by 20)
Coe @ Dubuque (UD by 8)
Loras on Bye

Saturday
Central @ Coe (Coe by 10)
NWU @ Dubuque (NWU by 15)
Loras @ Luther (Loras by 15)
Simpson @ BV (BV by 1)
Wartburg on Bye

Here's a question for the forum: at the Conference half-way point, what does the All-Conference first team look like?

dunkin3117

So many talented players in the league this year, but right now...I'd have to take these 8 (MVP is in there somewhere)
TJ Lake
Sam Amsbaugh
Cooper Cook
Dion Wells-Ross
Josh Ruggles
Ryan DiCanio
David Jeffries
Jaran Sabus

dunkin3117

Projections were fairly accurate, outside of course, NWU dismantling Wartburg.  Anyone catch the game?  I see NW shot 75% in second half. 

Simpson College  87   Central 93
Wartburg College  60  Nebraska Wesleyan  99   
Luther College  69  Buena Vista  87   
Coe  58  Dubuque  66

First time around
6-2 Nebraska Wesleyan
6-2 Buena Vista 
6-2 Loras 
5-3 Wartburg 
5-3 Simpson 
4-4 Central   
2-6 Dubuque 
2-6 Coe
0-8 Luther

rlgyank

Wesleyan played very well in the game against Wartburg. As mentioned, they shot 75% in the 2nd half. There were some tough shots at the end of the shot clock that went in, and then when the reserves came in at the end of the game, they kept the hot shooting going. Wesleyan was in a little bit of a shooting slump for a few games, but they seemed to have gotten out of it. Schimonitz has taken a few games to get back in the swing of things, but seems to be getting better every game now. The 2nd half of the conference season should be good, with 5 teams within 1 game of each other for the conference title.

duckfan41

At the half, Josh Ruggles 20, Luther 20. We'll see if Luther can make the adjustment but Ruggles is dialed in.

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: duckfan41 on January 20, 2018, 05:39:24 PM
At the half, Josh Ruggles 20, Luther 20. We'll see if Luther can make the adjustment but Ruggles is dialed in.

Not surprisingly, Loras defeated Luther by a score of 85-38 tonight. Josh Ruggles led Loras with 26 points on 8-13 shooting, giving him 63 points on 17-26 shooting in two conference wins this week...

doolittledog

NWU hits a 3 pointer with 6 seconds left to win by 1 over Dubuque.  The Spartans are working hard, still falling a bit short.  I like how this UD team continues to have a strong work ethic.  Better days are ahead for them. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

rlgyank

Dubuque is a scary team to play. As my son said after the game last night, "I hope we don't have to play them in the tournament". Dubuque is 3 games out of the 6th spot, so they are going to have to win a lot of their remaining games to get in, but if they do, watch out.

Hoosiersfan2323

Busy slate of IIAC hoops tonight:

Wartburg @ Loras (Massey Prediction: Loras-83, Wartburg-82)
NWU @ Luther (Massey Prediction: NWU-90, Luther-70)
BVU @ Coe (Massey Prediction: BVU-80, Coe-71)
UD @ Simpson (Massey Prediction: Simpson-83, UD-78)

No IIAC teams caught any love this week from the D3 rankings committee, though it's interesting to note that Massey has 4 IIAC teams in their top 26 (worthless, but still interesting).

dunkin3117

The Wartburg-Loras matchup is the most intruging of the night. 

Loras by 3
NWU by 25
Coe by 4
Simpson by 8

Hoosiersfan2323

Somewhat surprising results in 3/4 IIAC games last night:

Loras: 92, Wartburg: 75 - Junior Ryan DiCanio led the Duhawks with a near triple-double, & fresh off his conference player of the week honors, Josh Ruggles scored 21. This one was really never close.

NWU: 82, Luther: 70 - the one non-surprising score of the night, if anything it was only surprising that Luther stayed within 12.

Coe: 78, BVU: 65 - here's an upset for you. Only watched a bit of this one, but the Kohawks went on a 17-0 run before halftime that stretched into 22-0 in the second half. Balanced scoring for the Kohawks with four players in double-digits, BVU shot 39% from the field. Hard to win on the road in the IIAC!

UD: 80, Simpson: 76 - this may be an even bigger upset than the Coe win. UD goes on the road and beats Simpson behind 27 points from TJ Lake. Watched the last five minutes of this one and Dubuque flat out took it in crunch time. The difference was Simpson's inability to convert threes (25%, 6-24) or freethrows (58%, 18-31).

Big shifts in the conference standings after last night, with the top 6 looking like this:

Loras (8-2)
NWU (8-2)
BV (7-3)
Wartburg (5-4)
Central (5-4)
Simpson (5-5)
Dubuque (3-7)
Coe (3-7)
Luther (0-10)

Back at it Saturday, more to come....

doolittledog

Thanks Hoosiersfan for these recaps.  And to dunkin, rigyank, AEN, and others for stepping up the conversation on here.  My work schedule has picked up this year so I haven't been able to follow closely at all.  Which is a shame, because it sounds like it's been a great year in the IIAC.  Crossing my fingers UD can pick up some more wins and make it into the conference tourney. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

dunkin3117

Sounds like you were a busy individual last night.  The kiddos were under the weather, so had to tune in to the Loras/Wartburg game from the couch.  Not much flow to the game in the first half, some touchy fouls called and 20 FT's shot by the Knights.  Loras is looking like a well oiled machine. 

Looking at the stats from the NWU/Luther game, I was a little surprised to see that Schimonitz and Cook were under 30 minutes and that the Prairie Wolves didn't break the century mark.  Were there injuries to either of these two? 

That Coe/BV score is definitely an eye opener.  Coe has been on the verge of breaking through in a lot of games, this might be there turning point.  They will have a big one with Loras in Dubuque on Saturday.

UD beating Simpson is definitely an upset, but like Coe, have been close to beating some of the top teams (lost to NWU in the final seconds).