Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

Amherst's inclusion is, ummm, questionable as well.  They graduate six seniors who played big roles and return only two starters plus one deep rotation guy from a 17-8 team that played poorly down the stretch.  Now, they certainly have enough (mostly unproven) talent that ending the year in the top 10 would not be a total shock, but to start the year, on paper they look like about the 5th or 6th best team in NESCAC, not the nation.  At PG and C, they will be playing highly regarded recruits — but recruits who have never played a minute of meaningful college hoops.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: nescac1 on October 20, 2017, 11:37:41 AM
Amherst's inclusion is, ummm, questionable as well.  They graduate six seniors who played big roles and return only two starters plus one deep rotation guy from a 17-8 team that played poorly down the stretch.  Now, they certainly have enough (mostly unproven) talent that ending the year in the top 10 would not be a total shock, but to start the year, on paper they look like about the 5th or 6th best team in NESCAC, not the nation.  At PG and C, they will be playing highly regarded recruits — but recruits who have never played a minute of meaningful college hoops.

Yes, but if you're putting together a top ten with very little specific knowledge, Amherst is a good-odds play.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

In this example, I would say no. I'm sure there are at least 10 teams out there that have more returning players, were better last year and should be better this year than Amherst, at least to start the season.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

middhoops

At least one NESCAC coach thinks Amherst will be demonstrably better than last season.
"...if for chemistry, alone."
They have some bigs who could be very good and two senior wings who are very very good already.  The rest is a crapshoot.
Probably over rated by a fair bit.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 21, 2017, 08:45:07 AM
In this example, I would say no. I'm sure there are at least 10 teams out there that have more returning players, were better last year and should be better this year than Amherst, at least to start the season.

You're assuming more research on their part than I am.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 29, 2017, 04:45:26 PM

Outside Babson, I'd say that's the best S&S have done maybe ever.  Ramapo is going to be good.  I think they'll be better than last year.  Their week spot was ball-handling, but more from lack of experience than talent.  An extra year will help that.  I don't know how they'll stack up nationally, but I'll be voting them pretty high to start.  Bonacum is a very smart player with great court vision and a really broad game.  I think he'll have more of an impact without Aminu in the middle.

We never really know what'll happen, but I think nine of those teams are Top-10 contenders, even if I wouldn't necessarily put them there.  Babson might be a Top 25 team still, although a lot will depend on the transfer class.

The "transfer class"? Makes me think about the Rowan football teams under K.C. Keeler back in the day and the D-1/D-1AA/D-2 pipeline that SOMEHOW magically found it's way to Glassboro each year. Shhhh.................I'll never tell. ;)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 24, 2017, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 29, 2017, 04:45:26 PM

Outside Babson, I'd say that's the best S&S have done maybe ever.  Ramapo is going to be good.  I think they'll be better than last year.  Their week spot was ball-handling, but more from lack of experience than talent.  An extra year will help that.  I don't know how they'll stack up nationally, but I'll be voting them pretty high to start.  Bonacum is a very smart player with great court vision and a really broad game.  I think he'll have more of an impact without Aminu in the middle.

We never really know what'll happen, but I think nine of those teams are Top-10 contenders, even if I wouldn't necessarily put them there.  Babson might be a Top 25 team still, although a lot will depend on the transfer class.

The "transfer class"? Makes me think about the Rowan football teams under K.C. Keeler back in the day and the D-1/D-1AA/D-2 pipeline that SOMEHOW magically found it's way to Glassboro each year. Shhhh.................I'll never tell. ;)

I think we mentioned this earlier in the summer.  Babson, with the highly ranked business department, tends to be a good fit for a lot of guys who maybe chased a scholarship and found out it wasn't what they thought.  I also mentioned that because I was told they may have three transfer getting minutes this year.  We, of course, have to wait to see who shows up on Nov 15th.

smedindy

The website says the school took in 50 transfers last fall and 15 in the spring. I really don't think they pull any shenanigans - they have an academic reputation to uphold.

It was five seasons ago they were about .500 for the season.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: smedindy on October 26, 2017, 12:52:44 AM
The website says the school took in 50 transfers last fall and 15 in the spring. I really don't think they pull any shenanigans - they have an academic reputation to uphold.

It was five seasons ago they were about .500 for the season.

I hope I didn't imply that.  I was just combining a few generalizations - it might be interesting to see what transfers end up majoring in, but I feel like a lot of them end up in business, so, to me, it makes sense that a school with a great business reputation and a great basketball program would be a logical landing place.

smedindy

I agreed with your sentiment. I was pointing to the "Rowan" generalization (which is BS anyway, because transfers are definitely part of the NJAC schools academic footprint).

We had some discussion on the D-3 football board about North Central. They always have transfers. This year they have 10 total, which for the NCAC was unthinkable. But North Central is a good magnet for transfers anyway (kids coming home to the Chicago suburbs after a breakup, or homesickness, or whatever).

Kids are going to transfer, and they will transfer somewhere that's a better fit for them. If the kids are eligible, and they graduate, why complain?

ronk

1st game of the season tonight - Thomas More vs Kentucky 7 PM on SEC cable network; hopefully, a better outcome than the game against Henry VIII a few seasons ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on October 27, 2017, 02:08:11 PM
1st game of the season tonight - Thomas More vs Kentucky 7 PM on SEC cable network; hopefully, a better outcome than the game against Henry VIII a few seasons ago.

Well not really, ronk, as for neither team does the game actually count. Yes, it is on TV as an exhibition, but let's not call that the first game of the season. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

I would call it the first game of the season, but that one is not going to be a game.   :)

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 27, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: ronk on October 27, 2017, 02:08:11 PM

Well not really, ronk, as for neither team does the game actually count. Yes, it is on TV as an exhibition, but let's not call that the first game of the season. :)

::)
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

KnightSlappy

I'm once again running KenPom-like efficiency ratings for D3 this season.

http://tomaroonandgold.blogspot.com/p/division-iii-mens-basketball-efficiency.html

I have preseason ratings up which weight the last three seasons for each team plus regress toward D3 average. The sorting is by efficiency margin. It's all rather meaningless at this point, but I find this sort of thing to be fun and wanted to share (daily calculated score predictions are on the page as well).