MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 10, 2018, 05:17:22 PM
It's 100% confirmed. Greenville will play Hope in the early game at the North Park Invite on Friday, November 16, while NPU will host Simpson in the second game. It's a standard-format tourney, so the losers and winners will play the next day.

Who backs out and makes this more interesting after the fact during the offseason? LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

hopefan

All right, this is not normal for me to complain... but.... All Region selections (yes the NABC said the same)

I think we deserve the moniker... "the slighted SLIAC"...

She Feehan 2nd team...wow I'll just say I'm disappointed.... won't argue or even suggest who he might have displaced from the first team... I'm just disappointed...

AND

Brock Butler, no mention... wow, a very good player

I guess, looking at it another way, it just shows how good the Central Region is....

as I said, not mentioning to disparage anyone else, just disappointed in the results....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on March 13, 2018, 05:29:39 PM
won't argue or even suggest who he might have displaced from the first team...

I mean, unfortunately, you simply can't add someone to the first team without displacing someone else. As you know, this is the reality of it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on March 13, 2018, 05:29:39 PM
All right, this is not normal for me to complain... but.... All Region selections (yes the NABC said the same)

I think we deserve the moniker... "the slighted SLIAC"...

She Feehan 2nd team...wow I'll just say I'm disappointed.... won't argue or even suggest who he might have displaced from the first team... I'm just disappointed...

AND

Brock Butler, no mention... wow, a very good player

I guess, looking at it another way, it just shows how good the Central Region is....

as I said, not mentioning to disparage anyone else, just disappointed in the results....

Total snub.  The numbers aren't even close. When you are consistenly one of the top two or three most prolific scorers in the country you clearly deserve first team all-region at the very least.  30.6 ppg, 3.95 3pg, break your school's single season scoring record (set in a national championship year, by the way) despite being hampered by injury.  Cmon.

Nothing against Will Jones, but by what standard is he more deserving than Shea Feehan?  He didn't even lead his team statistically in scoring or rebounding.  Head-to-head EC beat MC 97-96  Feehan scored 36 vs. Jones 18.

I get Ben Boots is likely rewarded for making the final four and putting up 36 on Augie, he's a very good player on an excellent balanced team, but 15 ppg 3 rpg with multiple single digit scoring games doesn't stack up.

Life and basketball go on, but would have been nice to see Shea get his just due for such a historic season.

hopefan

Smitty Oom

Do you think that his injury and underwhelming (for his standards) finish to the season impacted his placement on second team?

As for Brock Butler... it is going to be tough for a SLIAC team that didn't make the conference tournament to make an All-Region team, especially considering the central is so stacked with great talent and great teams, like you mentioned.

ecreddevils

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 14, 2018, 01:31:37 PM
Do you think that his injury and underwhelming (for his standards) finish to the season impacted his placement on second team?

Sure, is strong possibility.  I would employ the "body of work" argument that was put forth by a few members of the selection committee this past weekend.  To set your school's single season scoring record in 22 games and with injuries is remarkable. 

Pat Coleman

Only members of full Division III schools are eligible for our postseason awards, so Brock Butler wouldn't have been considered.

I see complaints about Will Jones and Ben Boots -- neither of those players were first team on our All-Region team, just to clarify.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Ahhh forgot about that caveat Pat, regarding full membership. Funny thing is I now remember bringing up another IWez name last year (Soukup) and that was a reason for his exclusion too. Iowa Wez has been around for a while but had their probation period extended for some silly infraction involving (I think) the women's golf team.

Pat Coleman

Yeah, if I recall, there was a team where they didn't have either enough players or enough contests on the schedule to count as having actually fielded the team, and that meant they didn't make the minimum number of sports for that year and had to repeat a year of provisional membership.

Greek Tragedy

Going strictly by the numbers, it's really close between Francis and Feehan. Feehan averages 30+ and Francis is at 27. Francis leads 121 to 87 in 3s made, but Feehan has a higher percentage, 44.2 to 36.6. Francis has a lot more assists/TOs 115/96 to Feehan's 24/33. Their rebounds are close with Francis at 4.8 and Feehan 4.6.

I'm not really sure if Feehan got hosed. For me, part of being an AA is individual stats AND teams accomplishments. Both Feehan and Francis didn't get their teams to the NCAAs. Neither made their conference final either. I'm actully surprised Francis got POTY for the region.  He had big numbers, but so did others...like Feehan.

I think it's matter of the central region just being loaded.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

I really don't know who you would boot from the 1st team. I just picked Francis because his TEAM was the least successful.

Duax's numbers were real impressive, but he definitely lead the turnaround of Platteville going from last to 1st in the conference and getting to the Sweet 16.

Myers' Aurora won the league, the conference tourney title and an upset tourney win over Wash U.

Sanders' Wash U won the UAA.

Sorenson made the team last season and NCC made tourney.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Greenville 14-4
Returns everyone and I didn't include junior Rakim Murphy who only played 8 games but averaged 16.8 pts a game.

Eureka 13-5
The big question is if Feehan comes back. They do lose McElmurry, who was a starter, and Sanders but return Thomas, Bennington, Dehm, Juergens and Wiegand.

Blackburn 10-8
They return Hayes and King, but lose two double-digit scoring starters in Rusten and Scott.

Westminster 10-8
Everyone returns except Cochran, who started and averaged 8.4 pts a game.

Webster 10-8
4 starters return, but they lose Joseph who averaged 8.8 and 7.7 a game in 15 games and 8 starts. They also lose Dunn, who averaged 6 pts while starting.

MacMurray 9-9
They lose their top 4 and top 8 of 9. Wade Fox is the only returner of significance at 5.5 pts a game.

Principia 9-9
They return the Paulsons and Goodman, but lose their rebounding in Davidson and Ross.

Spalding 7-11
They lose Williams and his 11.8 pts a game and 7.6 rebs, but return their other four staters.

Iowa Wesleyan 5-13
They lose Butler, Drey and Johnson, but Neubauer and his 10.2 pts return along with fellow starters Fernandes and Banks.

Fontbonne 3-15
They return everyone including top guys McCann and DeLine.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Westminster also graduates Stu Hollandsworth, if I remember correctly.

The interesting questions: does Jimmy Villalobos and Romo Tabb return?

If they both were to return, I would say they are the class of the SLIAC next season.