Mid-Atlantic Region

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 29, 2017, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FelixCloudy

Fords beat Falcons 2-1.  Game moved to Rosemont due to weather.

Falconer

Quote from: FelixCloudy on September 06, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Did anyone see this one? There was no streaming. From the box score, the Falcons had the better of it, but obviously just one number matters in the end. The sophomore who scored both Haverford goals was rookie of the year in his conference last year. I think he has four goals in two games already. Apparently a very dangerous guy who must be hard to mark.

4samuy

I've seen posts that Haverford is a shell of what they were last year.  Is it possible they Messiah is a little overrated.  I'm a Central region guy, but would enjoy any thoughts.

4samuy

I've seen posts that Haverford is a shell of what they were last year.  Is it possible they Messiah is a little overrated.  I'm a Central region guy, but would enjoy any thoughts.

paclassic89

That was only 1 opinion based off of a 3-0 victory.  I think a 2-1 victory over #11 Messiah shows that they're going to be a solid squad again this year.  Messiah has let in 4 goals in 3 matches and has yet to keep a clean sheet.  Will they continue to struggle defensively?

luckylefty

I was at the Cabrini game and totally disagree they are a shell of themselves. They miss Corkery's service but they have a ton of good strong athletic players. Cabrini competed with them for a half but Haverford ramped up their pressure in the second half and they closed it out.

Haverford will have a fine season. I would guess they end the year ranked somewhere around 15.

Sherlock Holmes

Quote from: Falconer on September 06, 2017, 07:55:39 PM
Quote from: FelixCloudy on September 06, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Did anyone see this one? There was no streaming. From the box score, the Falcons had the better of it, but obviously just one number matters in the end. The sophomore who scored both Haverford goals was rookie of the year in his conference last year. I think he has four goals in two games already. Apparently a very dangerous guy who must be hard to mark.

I was able to make it to this one. Messiah did seem to be on the front foot most of the game. Haverford definitely put together some dangerous chances, but the Falcons had more possession and opportunities. Both of Haverford's goals came from #7, Jannelli, and unfortunately for Messiah, they both involved defenders slipping/getting tripped. The first half goal was a great turn with the ball at the top of the box that caused his defender to slip and opened up a wide lane for a beautiful left-footed strike inside the far-post. His second looked virtually the same, but the space was a result of his marker getting tripped by a Fords player cutting through the play. Other than those two opportunities, the Fords only had one or two other good looks offensively. They actually seemed to do their best work defensively and in the midfield - it seemed they were stepping in front of passes constantly, and they recovered quickly on defense most of the way. Messiah finally started carving them up pretty good in the last 20-25 minutes, but outside of West's goal to pull them back within one, they just couldn't get that final touch to draw level. Several times the ball was bouncing around loose at the penalty spot and a Fords defender just managed to clear it away before a Falcon could get there.

All in all, it was frankly a pretty high-quality and well-played game from both sides, especially considering both come from grass fields (this was played on concrete-colored turf) and that it poured down rain at times. A win Haverford should be proud of, and nothing for the Falcons to hang their heads over - they both looked like top 15-quality talent. Speaking of which, just to add to the "Haverford-shell-of-themselves" discussion, I'd have to disagree with that as well. They are obviously going to miss their key losses - players like Corkery don't come around very often. But they have plenty of big bodies who also have great touch and skill with the ball. They might not be a team that possesses you to death or runs you into the ground, but they can string passes together in the buildup and get a goal in a blink. Both goals today came seemingly out of nowhere. They look dangerous enough to me, anyway.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on September 06, 2017, 07:54:08 AM
Quote from: paclassic89 on September 05, 2017, 11:33:19 AM
Haverford plays Messiah tomorrow so that result should provide some better insight.

I will take Messiah in this one by a score of 2-0.

Some other games of interest today around the region feature Catholic vs Mary Wash, Fords vs Messiah as mentioned, Lycoming vs Susquehanna, Frostburg vs Hopkins, Manhattanville vs Vassar, Arcadia vs Ursinus, FDU-Florham vs Drew, Misericordia vs Leb Val, Kings vs Scranton, and Swat vs Widener.

Fords beat Messiah 2-1
Catholic and MW draw 0-0
Lyco beats Susqu. 5-0
Hopkins beats FSU 3-0
Manhattanville beats Vassar 2-1
Ursinus beats Arcadia 3-2
Drew spanks FDU 9-2
LVC beats Mis 2-0
Scranton beats Kings 2-1
Swat beats Widener 1-0

Big result of the day comes with the Fords edging out Messiah 2-1. I don't think you can say Messiah is overrated or that the Fords are a shell of last year. Teams are only 2-3 games in and still figuring things out. Additionally, both these teams are in the top 20 so on paper it was a toss up. I am sure both will have strong seasons once again.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on September 07, 2017, 07:49:25 AM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on September 06, 2017, 07:54:08 AM
Quote from: paclassic89 on September 05, 2017, 11:33:19 AM
Haverford plays Messiah tomorrow so that result should provide some better insight.

I will take Messiah in this one by a score of 2-0.

Some other games of interest today around the region feature Catholic vs Mary Wash, Fords vs Messiah as mentioned, Lycoming vs Susquehanna, Frostburg vs Hopkins, Manhattanville vs Vassar, Arcadia vs Ursinus, FDU-Florham vs Drew, Misericordia vs Leb Val, Kings vs Scranton, and Swat vs Widener.

Fords beat Messiah 2-1
Catholic and MW draw 0-0
Lyco beats Susqu. 5-0
Hopkins beats FSU 3-0
Manhattanville beats Vassar 2-1
Ursinus beats Arcadia 3-2
Drew spanks FDU 9-2
LVC beats Mis 2-0
Scranton beats Kings 2-1
Swat beats Widener 1-0

Big result of the day comes with the Fords edging out Messiah 2-1. I don't think you can say Messiah is overrated or that the Fords are a shell of last year. Teams are only 2-3 games in and still figuring things out. Additionally, both these teams are in the top 20 so on paper it was a toss up. I am sure both will have strong seasons once again.

What do you make of the Drew Score? Miseri off to a slow start at 0-3. Unfortunately I was all set to watch the Kings-Scranton game but no video available.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ejay

Quote from: NEPAFAN on September 07, 2017, 08:27:14 AM
What do you make of the Drew Score? Miseri off to a slow start at 0-3. Unfortunately I was all set to watch the Kings-Scranton game but no video available.

Once again, Drew was paced by Fr. and So.'s.  They've now scored 20 goals in 3 games so they clearly have offensive fire power.  Concerning though is they've played 3 patty cakes and should really have 3 clean sheets.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 5-4 or 4-3 score lines against stiffer competition.

sokermom

Goucher beat Cairn 2-0 and stands with 1 win and 2 losses so far.

darad44

attended the LVC vs MISERICORDIA game.  Miser looked lost on Offense.  LVC's D is above average. 

paclassic89

yeah it seems like Misericordia is going to be weaker this year.  LVC's main issue from what I've seen so far is their midfield.  If they can get that sorted then I think they have a chance at cracking the top 25 again this season

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: paclassic89 on September 07, 2017, 09:40:09 PM
yeah it seems like Misericordia is going to be weaker this year.  LVC's main issue from what I've seen so far is their midfield.  If they can get that sorted then I think they have a chance at cracking the top 25 again this season

I don't anticipate Misericordia making any Top 25 polls this year after an 0-3 start. Especially with remaining games vs Scranton, @Salisbury, @Rutgers Camden, @Messiah, @Lycoming, vs Dickinson, and @Eastern. They will be fortunate to make it into the regional rankings this season.

darad44

LVC could crack the 25 again though.