2018 West Regional - Spokane, WA

Started by Mike Lehman, May 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lehman

West Regional May 18-22
Spokane: Avista Stadium, Spokane, WA(hosted by Whitworth)

SCIAC: Chapman 34-11
SCAC:
NWC:
ASC:

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM
West Regional May 18-22

SCAC: Texas Lutheran 34-9
NWC: Willamette 28-17
ASC:

Added a few in for you.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 07, 2018, 12:38:08 PM
West Regional May 18-22

ASC:
http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2018/playoff-central
Added a few in for you.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 07, 2018, 01:24:35 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 07, 2018, 12:38:08 PM
West Regional May 18-22 17-21

ASC:
http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2018/playoff-central
Added a few in for you.
CORRECTION

Mike Lehman

MY PREDICTION

SCIAC: Chapman
SCAC: Texas Lutheran
NWC: Willamette
ASC: TBD
Pool C Trinity & Redlands

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 09, 2018, 08:32:13 AM
MY PREDICTION

I might have the unpopular opinion but La Verne will be on the Pool C table before Trinity.  If, and it is a big IF, the NCAA puts 3 SCIAC teams in, I would expect Redlands to be sent somewhere else.  Trinity was already behind La Verne in the last RR's and went 0-2, La Verne went 1-2.  I could be way off on this but I am very interested to see what happens with tomorrows rankings.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 09, 2018, 08:50:09 AM
Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 09, 2018, 08:32:13 AM
MY PREDICTION

I might have the unpopular opinion but La Verne will be on the Pool C table before Trinity.  If, and it is a big IF, the NCAA puts 3 SCIAC teams in, I would expect Redlands to be sent somewhere else.  Trinity was already behind La Verne in the last RR's and went 0-2, La Verne went 1-2.  I could be way off on this but I am very interested to see what happens with tomorrows rankings.

And the NCAA has shown precedent for moving a West team out of the region and bringing in a team from the Midwest or Central (maybe a third WIAC school or a team like St. Norbert or Carthage which would both be a lower Central Seed if they find a way in).
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

TexasBB

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part but if CTX wins the ASC then UTT has a shot as Pool C. Remember they went 3-0 against Texas Lutheran and LaVerne earlier this year and played a more difficult schedule than either of those teams.  They went 3-2 in the tournament this past weekend loosing twice to CTX but also beating them once.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: TexasBB on May 09, 2018, 01:56:58 PM
Maybe just wishful thinking on my part but if CTX wins the ASC then UTT has a shot as Pool C. Remember they went 3-0 against Texas Lutheran and LaVerne earlier this year and played a more difficult schedule than either of those teams.  They went 3-2 in the tournament this past weekend loosing twice to CTX but also beating them once.

If it comes down to it, UTT would only be up against La Verne in the Pool C race since TLU already has the auto-bid.  When looking at SOS, La Verne is at 47 and UTT is at 48, which makes the logical thing to do is look at their head-to-head.  All of that is subjective as what really matters is how the coaches vote tomorrow.

*I will add that I agree with you 100% in thinking UTT would be a better pick than La Verne.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 09, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

If it comes down to it, UTT would only be up against La Verne in the Pool C race since TLU already has the auto-bid.  When looking at SOS, La Verne is at 47 and UTT is at 47, which makes the logical thing to do is look at their head-to-head.  All of that is subjective as what really matters is how the coaches vote tomorrow.

*I will add that I agree with you 100% in thinking UTT would be a better pick than La Verne.
I agree UTT has a shot and head to head should be used to determine which team makes the cut...I dont see SCIAC getting 3 teams.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 09, 2018, 10:57:02 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 09, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

If it comes down to it, UTT would only be up against La Verne in the Pool C race since TLU already has the auto-bid.  When looking at SOS, La Verne is at 47 and UTT is at 47, which makes the logical thing to do is look at their head-to-head.  All of that is subjective as what really matters is how the coaches vote tomorrow.

I agree UTT has a shot and head to head should be used to determine which team makes the cut...I dont see SCIAC getting 3 teams.

The main thing for UTT to have a shot is CTX winning the auto-bid.  If UT Dallas gets it, CTX drops into Pool C and knocks UTT another notch lower.

Agreed, the SCIAC will not have 3 teams in.

bzzboyz

I'm sorry. I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning, but if Trinity makes it to a regional then the system is very very flawed. No way on earth a team who loses 5 of their last 6 games, doesn't win their regular season and goes 2 out in their tournament should get any consideration. It would strictly be on reputation only if they got in, not on their performance this season. JMHO.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: bzzboyz on May 10, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
I'm sorry. I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning, but if Trinity makes it to a regional then the system is very very flawed. No way on earth a team who loses 5 of their last 6 games, doesn't win their regular season and goes 2 out in their tournament should get any consideration. It would strictly be on reputation only if they got in, not on their performance this season. JMHO.
Thanks for your post. There will be a mock selection on the site on Sunday night. I hope that you will read it.

My first impression is that Trinity is about #40 in line around the nation, behind Redlands, behind CTX if they lose to UTD, UTT,  and LaVerne in the West Region alone for one of the 16 Pool C bids.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 10, 2018, 06:45:15 PM
Quote from: bzzboyz on May 10, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
Thanks for your post. There will be a mock selection on the site on Sunday night. I hope that you will read it.

My first impression is that Trinity is about #40 in line around the nation, behind Redlands, behind CTX if they lose to UTD, UTT,  and LaVerne in the West Region alone for one of the 16 Pool C bids.

I have seen some very strange Pool C selections over the years. Nothing will surprise or shock me.

Aka CrashDavisD3