SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA released the third set of women's basketball regional rankings with few changes from last week's version. This is the final set that we'll see before the Tournament bracket is released on Monday. Full list here: http://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/women-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Webster and Westmin stun favorites Eureka and Greenville in the Conference Tourney semis, and Webster beats Westmin in the championship game...  you know, congrats to the Gorlocks, I love the competition......
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Westminster beats Wash U 70-68 on a 3 pointer with six seconds left. Wash U unable to score in its final possession. Blue Jays now 7-1.

A very young Webster team (no seniors, one junior) is of to a 5-1 start.

WUPHF

Quote from: y_jack_lok on December 07, 2018, 09:09:09 AM
Westminster beats Wash U 70-68 on a 3 pointer with six seconds left. Wash U unable to score in its final possession. Blue Jays now 7-1.

After coming back from a 10 point deficit and trailing more or less the entire game.  Very impressive.

ecreddevils

Quote from: WUPHF on December 07, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on December 07, 2018, 09:09:09 AM

After coming back from a 10 point deficit and trailing more or less the entire game.  Very impressive.

Westmin/EC was a very good game on Saturday. After a 12-0 Westmin run to start it, EC able to pull back even by halftime.  Kendahl Adams fouled out with 6 minutes left, was back and forth until the last three minutes.  Rei Imamura made two huge corner threes  and several free throws down the stretch that were the difference in the game.  Imamura shot the lights out.

Tough loss for EC on their home court, but also very well-played and something to build off of.  Westmin is tough.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The new NCAA Division III women's basketball regional rankings are posted: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/women-regional-rankings-third

hopefan

Announced in SLIAC.org... hiring of Temaine Wright as head coach of Iowa Wesleyan women's hoops team... quite a change in environment for a guy who is coming out of the ASC and the SCAC... TEXAS... coach, it's gonna be COLD!!!!  Iowa Wesleyan had a good program when they were able to give out scholarship money as a USCAA member, but when they ran out of scholarship players, the program quickly collapsed, going 4-20 this past year... and with the school struggling to stay in business, it's a tough sell to any student athlete...
On the other hand, Mt Pleasant is a wonderful little Midwest College town, and if the team wins (men winning would help too), they get very good support from the community for a SLIAC team... think Greenville... so it's worth the chance for Coach Wright.... Best of Luck to him!!!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on April 13, 2019, 11:16:33 AM
Announced in SLIAC.org... hiring of Temaine Wright as head coach of Iowa Wesleyan women's hoops team... quite a change in environment for a guy who is coming out of the ASC and the SCAC... TEXAS... coach, it's gonna be COLD!!!!  Iowa Wesleyan had a good program when they were able to give out scholarship money as a USCAA member, but when they ran out of scholarship players, the program quickly collapsed, going 4-20 this past year... and with the school struggling to stay in business, it's a tough sell to any student athlete...
On the other hand, Mt Pleasant is a wonderful little Midwest College town, and if the team wins (men winning would help too), they get very good support from the community for a SLIAC team... think Greenville... so it's worth the chance for Coach Wright.... Best of Luck to him!!!!

So quiet here all season. Didn't seem like saying anything would generate much activity.

I had a short chat with the IWU coach after their game at Webster over a month ago. He was very nice and from watching that game looks to be an excellent coach.

Finally, congratulations to Webster on winning the conference championship 65-51 over Spalding. The Gorloks are a really tough, well-conditioned team that wears down opponents. They kept getting better all season. Excellent work by the coaches. The fourth 20 win season in school history.

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K