D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DivisionIIISoccerSource

Hi everybody!

Wanted to open up a new thread to begin the new campaign!
Season is just around the corner.

What is everybody's expectations for the year?
Favorites for this year?
Programs to really watch for this Fall?
Who will struggle this year?

We will keep the thread going into the season once play hits.

Kick on!

2xfaux

I am a Messiah fan and the Falcons are almost always in the conversation.  They open the season with Stevens, Pacific Lutheran, Hopkins and William Smith.  Those four teams were 73-7-6 last year, so we shall see.

cciw83

No surprise to expect Messiah, Williams, William Smith and over the last few years Washington U. to be in the running. I wonder about Washington U. this year as losing their All-American keeper could cost them some of the tight games they have won in the past.

The team that has the potential to go all the way is Hardin-Simmons. Almost everyone is back, including two AA's at forward and center back and overall tough defense.

Down year last year for the CCIW, on paper Wheaton seems to have a strong recruit class  and Il Wesleyan could rebound. The CCIW sits in a real soccer hot bed in the suburbs of Chicago, particularly the western suburbs so they should always pull in some of these players.

I don't like basing on last year, but saw Lynchburg play twice and Trinity TX play twice. Lynchburg looked really strong and I was surprised how their year ended up. I must have caught Trinity on average days as they had a great record, but they did not seem as polished as some of their past teams.  I just have a feeling that Lynchburg may make a run this season.

Some one will have to help with the New Jersey teams, as I did not see them last season and don't know what their recruiting classes were like or key returnees.

The other usual suspects: Thomas More is a question mark with a new coach and the loss of 2 AA's, Johns Hopkins is always strong and expect the same this season, lot of things going for Wisconsin-Whitewater but they lose an AA and a lot of goal scoring. Centre loses a 2 time AA and a strong senior class, but seems to reload.  An Amherst, Middlebury, Carnegie-Mellon, Washington & Lee will always have an impact, just don't know their recruiting classes for this season.

I am going to pick the surprise team from the UAA this season to be Emory, they have a strong returning group and a good recruiting class. It's a brutal conference so to get by Brandeis and U. of Chicago along with Washington U. will require a lot. 

Will the Northwest teams make a breakthrough? I know a former NAIA coach from that area and he raved on the technical training and support in that part of the country but it has not completely shown yet in the D-3 schools in area.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

Totally with you on the Emory pick. I think they are going to be a surprise and come out of no where at the top. Messiah always a easy pick for National Chamions. Lynchburg has weapons to be very good. But I hear Virginia Wesleyan may makes some moves this year? Will see though. I think Thomas will fall off map. Competitive still, but I can't see same results.

Would love to honestly see the California conference and Northwest dominate in D3. So much talent and quality colleges out there to be good. I'm rooting for Puget Sound to come out and be a National Contender. No idea situation, but would love to see it happen.

I'm waiting to make a call after rosters are released. But I'm thinking UAA program handles business vs Messiah again.

2xfaux

Well things get started this weekend.  I hope the early season sparks some conversation.  The New England folks in particular seem to have moved on.  I am looking forward to seeing some great games.

bricullen

Some interesting games to start the season this weekend.  It's nice to see some teams like Trinity (TX), Chicago and Pacific Lutheran traveling to play out of region.  Makes for some great match ups to start the season. 

4samuy

Yes.  That Chicago vs Pomona-pitzer rematch from last years elite eight should be a good one

2xfaux

The rainy weather in Central Pa. has moved last night's Messiah v Hopkins game from the grass at Shoemaker to the turf at Homewood tonight.  Ouch.

CarpIsNotAFish

Quote from: 2xfaux on September 07, 2017, 01:31:49 PM
The rainy weather in Central Pa. has moved last night's Messiah v Hopkins game from the grass at Shoemaker to the turf at Homewood tonight.  Ouch.

Very evenly matched teams. Lots of Defense on display. Messiah held to just 2 shots thru about 3/4 of the game. Scoreless after 110 mins.

With two draws already on their record, expect Messiah to plummet in the next rankings.

2xfaux

No question that the Falcons will and should slide in the polls.  I think we all know that the early polls, vanity aside, don't mean much.  Of more concern as a Messiah fan is one goal in three games.  Things certainly don't get any easier with a trip to William Smith this weekend.  Without more offense it could be a long day in Geneva.  We shall see. 

Abitofeverything

And this.....

Medgar Evers     0 
Sarah Lawrence 17 
Final

CarpIsNotAFish

Big surprises in Connecticut early in the season....

Yale at 6-1 with their only loss to #2 Stanford
Conn College at 3-0 with a 1-0 win over NESCAC enemy and ranked Middlebury
Western Conn St at 5-0

UConn and Central Conn on the wrong side of the good news line.

Ron Boerger

A bit of news from the SCAC:  not sure why, but Southwestern soph keeper Mary Cardone has yet to make an appearance in goal this season despite being listed on the roster.  The First Team all-SCAC and conference newcomer-of-the-year (19 starts, 85 saves, 16 goals allowed for a 0.89 GAA) was instrumental in leading the Pirates to an 11-8 record which was their best in nearly a decade.   Without her in goal, Southwestern has struggled to an 0-4 start, allowing nearly as many goals in those four games (14) as Cardone yielded over the course of an entire season.   Additionally, during the conference media days, an interview is conducted with each team's coach and one selected player and the team's other keeper, senior Kylie Hunt, was the player interviewed.   There was no mention of Cardone during that interview. 

As far as conference power Trinity (TX) goes, they still seem to be recovering from the loss of last year's strong senior class.  A season-opening trip to Virginia resulted in an unexpected 2OT loss to Christopher Newport (0-1 with only 3 SOG) and the usually high-flying Tiger offense has not converted at its usual rate (2.5 GPG over the first five matches).    Yesterday's 5-0 over formerly undefeated Concordia (TX) hopefully shows that the offense is starting to gel (tho it must be observed that Concordia's record came against lesser opposition). 

blooter442

Having started strong in the NE region, MIT is drawing 0-0 at home with Wheaton at the half in a downpour. The visitors have actually had some decent opportunities on counters, but MIT had the best chance of the half and the Wheaton GK made a good save. Interested to see what happens in the second half.