WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Preseason women's poll released. Hope is No. 13 and Calvin receiving votes.

http://d3hoops.com/top25/women/2016-17/preseason

Roundball999

Quote from: TUAngola on October 26, 2016, 07:00:11 PM
Trine's WBB 2016-17 roster:

http://www.trinethunder.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/roster

Return 4 starters from MIAA tournament runners up last year:

Hayley Martin - 2nd team MIAA
Brandi Dawson - 2nd team MIAA
Taylor Cole
Ashley Elliott

Shelby Oldham, Montana Martin, and Cassidy Williams all played a lot last year as freshmen.

6 newcomers to the roster, 3 transfers and 3 freshmen.  I've seen Tashayla Sutorious play a couple times in Fort Wayne against my niece's team.  She can hoop!  I think she had at one time committed to Chicago State.  Kayla Freeman, I've seen some videos, pretty impressive.  And I've heard good reports about Katy Steers. 

Should be a deep team, maybe one that can break up the Hope/Calvin domination this year?  Can't wait to see them play, along with the Trine MBB team.  Exciting things happening at Trine U.

I would agree, Trine is going to be tough.  I think the MIAA is a toss up this year between Trine, Calvin and Hope.

Roundball999

Not much chatter here.  I have not been able to attend, any insights from scrimmages?  How about impactful newcomers?

TUAngola

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 08, 2016, 08:29:48 AM
Not much chatter here.  I have not been able to attend, any insights from scrimmages?  How about impactful newcomers?
Trine women have an exhibition game next Monday night against IPFW.  Should get a good idea of what players will be in the rotation, both returnees and newcomers.

TUAngola

Trine 80 Ft Wayne (IPFW) 71

Nice win for Trine over Division I Ft Wayne.  Haley Martin with 20 and Brandi Dawson with 19 to lead Trine.  Freshman Katy Steers with 10, Cassidy Williams and Ashley Elliott with 9 each.  In all 12 gals played which included 4 newcomers.  Good confidence booster beating a DI school on their home court.

gordonmann

Yeah, how about that? Don't know how many people will see it, but we gave them props on our Facebook page.

I think Trine should assume the nickname Mastodons for the rest of the season.

Winifred Durfee

The Hope women open the season at home tonight against Wheaton. If you can't make it to Devos, the game can be watched here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oxEKiBeXLI

monsoon

Hope       99
Wheaton  97 (ot)

sac

Heck of a game by Hope and Wheaton last night, here's the winning shot.  Couldn't believe Hope closed a 19 point margin in the 2nd half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPsmbweN4Q

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The opening day of the 2015-16 basketball season started with a bang. The NCAA announcing major violations by Thomas More which resulted in vacating the entire 2014-15 season including the national championship - the first time in the history of Division III basketball, men or women. Tonight on Hoopsville, continuing coverage of the fallout of that decision including an exclusive one-on-one interview with Coach Jeff Hans of Thomas More.

Plus we take a look at the start of the season and talk with Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's basketball who is no longer flying under the radar. We also talk to the Trine women who want to take control of the MIAA. Plus we hear from two men's coaches starting anew at Case Western Reserve and SUNY-Canton.

Hoopsville airs live starting at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov17

Guests include:
- Adam Turer, Editor and Contributor for D3hoops.com
- Jeff Hans, No. 4 Thomas More women's head coach (exclusive interview)
- Kristen Dowling, No. 24 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's head coach
- Ryan Gould, Trine women's head coach
- Ben Thompson, SUNY Canton men's head coach
- Todd McGuinness, Case Western Reserve men's head coach
- Jeff Burns, Randolph-Macon athletics director (former men's basketball committee chair)

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Roundball999

I believe Hope's rebounding margin last night (67-33, +34) was a DeVos record.  That said, I don't think this team rebounds as well as last year with Maura McAfee's graduation being the obvious difference.

pointlem

Any explanation for the absence of Francesca Buchanan from yesterday's game? She is such a key part of this year's team, that I hope for her and the team's sake that she's not seriously injured.

Roundball999

Quote from: pointlem on November 27, 2016, 03:03:13 AM
Any explanation for the absence of Francesca Buchanan from yesterday's game? She is such a key part of this year's team, that I hope for her and the team's sake that she's not seriously injured.

Not injured, it was reported the she was kept out due to flu-like symptoms.  Hope she is back for the Calvin game Wednesday.

Roundball999

An early Rivalry game this year with Hope hosting Calvin at DeVos.  Both teams are undefeated with Hope 5-0 and ranked #10 and Calvin 6-0 and breaking into the rankings at #24.

I'd give Hope the edge especially being at DeVos, unless Buchanan is still sidelined in which case I think its a toss up.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 30, 2016, 11:06:09 AM
An early Rivalry game this year with Hope hosting Calvin at DeVos.  Both teams are undefeated with Hope 5-0 and ranked #10 and Calvin 6-0 and breaking into the rankings at #24.

I'd give Hope the edge especially being at DeVos, unless Buchanan is still sidelined in which case I think its a toss up.

Calvin has a new coach and a whole new system. The players are hard at work learning lots of new plays, defensive schemes, and the like. In addition, Calvin is working in a couple of freshmen and a sophomore who didn't play much last year.

I think it'll be some time before we see Calvin's potential. Right now they've got a lot to work through.