FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

dlippiel

Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 18, 2018, 02:51:23 PM
OOC games are sort of interesting to me. I'm a weird fan, and I hate the frequent LL/E8 OOC crossovers. I like to see different teams, and I think it helps recruiting (for IC at least) to occasionally get out of upstate NY. I liked that they dropped Utica for St. Vincent. I really liked that they bailed on the E8/LL Bowl rematch with Cortland to play in an ECAC game. I think it sucks to not have 10 games, but the contrarian part of me is secretly glad Hobart and Fisher couldn't make it work

Great point bombers dlip feels the same way. As a fan he loves to see teams he has not seen before. This season dlip will get to see the Purple Drank in person for the very first time as well as the Husson Eagles. Honestly he really looks forward to that. Obviously $ plays a huge role but man dlip would get even more excited to see teams from other regions come to Frank Bailey.

Bombers798891

Quote from: dlip on July 19, 2018, 06:26:09 AM
Obviously $ plays a huge role but man dlip would get even more excited to see teams from other regions come to Frank Bailey.

One of my favorite IC games over the past 15 or so years was when Huntington came to Butterfield in 2006. They'd taken on an "Anyone, anytime, anywhere" mentality to scheduling, (being an independent helps there, admittedly) and in talking to a few players I knew, they were pretty excited for that game.

I'd much rather see Ithaca take on someone from another conference or region than going back to playing Utica or Hartwick

Oline89

Bombers/Dlip, what teams do you think would be willing to compete against the LL teams?  It seems most of Hobart's OOC games have been against teams with some sort of connection to the program (head coaches that were former Hobart coaches).  Other than Thomas More (who is travelling up to St Law) I don't know of any independents who are trying to fill a schedule.  It was clear that when ECFC teams needed to fill a void, they wanted no part of the LL.  Maybe a team from the NJAC (Wesley, Frosty?) would welcome the competition?  The CCC doesn't have many members, but I don't know if they would want to take on ITH/Union/RPI/Hobart

MUC57

dlip and bombers798891

If you want someone from a different conference or region, how about Mount Union? We play two years against Rose-Hulman and then two years against Westminster (Pa). After that, they're open. They do have a hard time finding the season opener against a non-conference opponent. I'm not being a wise guy, just throwing it out as a possibility! Keep it in mind. ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

UfanBill

Sure it's great to see other teams but it's getting increasingly harder to find such opponents. Nearby leagues such as the MAC and NJAC already play nine league games and that one non-league opening is usually filled by games against each other.  New England leagues such as the CCC(7)and ECFC(7) have fewer members and thus more non-conference games. That's where the LL has gone recently. The NEWMAC(8) and the MASCAC(9) have fewer N/C openings.  Again they usually schedule among themselves. Liberty League schools, due to travel expenses, are unlikely to travel out of the East. I do believe however that there is plenty of opportunity for LL vs E8 games that will bring together opponents who have not seen each other. For example Union has not played Brockport and only once played Fisher(2006 NCAA).  Didn't we all lobby for a New York State super-conference recently? Starting next year the E8 and the LL will both have 7 members. Of the 4 OOC openings I think you'll see each E8 and LL team playing two games against each other. Many schools are already doing just that. It seems that we're getting what we asked for.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MUC57 on July 19, 2018, 10:14:11 AM

If you want someone from a different conference or region, how about Mount Union? We play two years against Rose-Hulman and then two years against Westminster (Pa). After that, they're open. They do have a hard time finding the season opener against a non-conference opponent.

This doesn't seem to be true. They had three opponents planned out in a row -- six years' worth of non-conference opponents. They currently don't need an opener until 2022.

Now, contrast that with WIAC schools, which often can't find enough D-III opponents to play them.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Oline89

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 19, 2018, 01:16:15 PM

If you want someone from a different conference or region, how about Mount Union? We play two years against Rose-Hulman and then two years against Westminster (Pa). After that, they're open. They do have a hard time finding the season opener against a non-conference opponent.

This doesn't seem to be true. They had three opponents planned out in a row -- six years' worth of non-conference opponents. They currently don't need an opener until 2022.

Now, contrast that with WIAC schools, which often can't find enough D-III opponents to play them.

Sounds like we need to call Elon Musk about installing one of those High Speed Underground tunnels between Wisconsin and Upstate NY

dlippiel

dlip and bombers798891

If you want someone from a different conference or region, how about Mount Union? We play two years against Rose-Hulman and then two years against Westminster (Pa). After that, they're open. They do have a hard time finding the season opener against a non-conference opponent. I'm not being a wise guy, just throwing it out as a possibility! Keep it in mind. ☠🏈

MUC57 +k for the suggestion and speaking for dlip he would love his Dutchmen to play an OOC game against Mount. While Union would most likely receive quite the monkey stomp dlip thinks the experience would be great for his Dutchmen (even as far away as 2022). He would be so excited for the Dutchmen players and program to play a team with such a tradition and consistent prowess on the grid iron.

Hopefully Coach Behrman will read this and take it into account lol. Thanks for posting MUC. dlip just has a ton of respect for MUC program as a whole, including their fans.

dlippiel

Quote from: Oline79 on July 19, 2018, 10:07:25 AM
Bombers/Dlip, what teams do you think would be willing to compete against the LL teams?  It seems most of Hobart's OOC games have been against teams with some sort of connection to the program (head coaches that were former Hobart coaches).  Other than Thomas More (who is travelling up to St Law) I don't know of any independents who are trying to fill a schedule.  It was clear that when ECFC teams needed to fill a void, they wanted no part of the LL.  Maybe a team from the NJAC (Wesley, Frosty?) would welcome the competition?  The CCC doesn't have many members, but I don't know if they would want to take on ITH/Union/RPI/Hobart

Well shiat Oline since you asked...dlip would be love to see some teams from the north and west come to Shocktown and for Union to visit. Maybe some teams form the OAC or HCAC (Heidelburg or Franklin)? Dlip just thinks it would be great for the region to face off against more distant and unfamiliar OOC opponents.

dlippiel

Quote from: UfanBill on July 19, 2018, 12:23:10 PM
Sure it's great to see other teams but it's getting increasingly harder to find such opponents. Nearby leagues such as the MAC and NJAC already play nine league games and that one non-league opening is usually filled by games against each other.  New England leagues such as the CCC(7)and ECFC(7) have fewer members and thus more non-conference games. That's where the LL has gone recently. The NEWMAC(8) and the MASCAC(9) have fewer N/C openings.  Again they usually schedule among themselves. Liberty League schools, due to travel expenses, are unlikely to travel out of the East. I do believe however that there is plenty of opportunity for LL vs E8 games that will bring together opponents who have not seen each other. For example Union has not played Brockport and only once played Fisher(2006 NCAA).  Didn't we all lobby for a New York State super-conference recently? Starting next year the E8 and the LL will both have 7 members. Of the 4 OOC openings I think you'll see each E8 and LL team playing two games against each other. Many schools are already doing just that. It seems that we're getting what we asked for.

Very true Ufan. dlip has always been an advocate for the NYS Super Conference. With that said he would be just as excited for distant OOC games as well. Of course in reality dlip knows he is living in a pipe dream with both the NYS Super Conference and these distant OOC games.

MUC57

Pat Coleman

Easy to get an opponent or just good advance planning? I don't know. Maybe both. I know in the past there has been some difficulty. That 's a fact. I also know the WIAC Has a really hard time.
Maybe looking ahead to 2022 will help the Raiders get an opponent. 🏈👍

MUC57

dlip

I should probably stay off of the LL board. Don't know enough about the teams to make a very smart comment. Just interested in teams outside the north region. It's always interesting to see various problems our schools/teams have to deal with and finding a resolution.
I am not only a Raider fan (old alum) but a fan of Dlll football. This site allows us to keep in touch with almost everyone. Ya gotta luv it!
Hope everything gets resolved, and I bet it does. We know there are some really good teams in the east region. Good luck to the LL and all the East teams.
Great chatting with you. ☠🏈

Also slipped in a +k for ya.

UfanBill

I've always thought a game between Mt. Union and Union College was inevitable. I hoped that it would come in the NCAAs but though MTU is always there and has played many Eastern games, the Dutchmen have been unable to get to their level. I still think it will happen even if it's a regular season matchup. As a Union fan I'd relish a home and home with the Purple Raiders.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Jonny Utah

Quote from: dlip on July 19, 2018, 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: Oline79 on July 19, 2018, 10:07:25 AM

Well shiat Oline since you asked...dlip would be love to see some teams from the north and west come to Shocktown and for Union to visit. Maybe some teams form the OAC or HCAC (Heidelburg or Franklin)? Dlip just thinks it would be great for the region to face off against more distant and unfamiliar OOC opponents.

Wesley and Salisbury are looking for early season games over the next several seasons and are advertising it.

Bombers798891

dlip and bombers798891

If I were in charge of scheduling, sure. I have believed for years that the most underrated game of Mike Welch's coaching career was in 2007 when Ithaca scored three touchdowns (and had a lead!) against a 1st string Mount defense that hadn't allowed one all year.