FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Machiavelli

My post was addressing a Union fan who deleted his post BTW. Bartman 'gets it'. It's not personal, it's football.

Jonny Utah

I knew Union would win by 30+. 

I forgot to post my picks though.  So I'll have 15 instead of 12.

pumkinattack

No need to pat Hobart fans on the back we haven't looked good in the last two wins and looked like children against Brockport.  There's a ton of real inside baseball reasons why this season is going the way it is and I've pointed them out it don't care, that's life and next man up.  Even at the increasingly liberal, Oberlin aspiring, Hobart campus.  (The whole story behind the president situation and why cragg isn't currently the AD and Dewall is here plus all sorts of atypical roster stories)

The passing game is better than anyone imagined though I'm not surprised.  Have very strong feelings about Drach (and David) compared with the long run of Yoder and DeWall as ACs in Geneva.  Our WRs are criminally underrated too. 

The defense is a train wreck.  There's talent there.  Recruiting past few years was far too skewed towards skill and lighter semi skill guys and a few injuries and transfers/lacing the program don't help.  But these kids have talent and need to step up.  Not worried about Endicott, Roch & SLUand personally feel like RPI is very overrated.  They have done very well under this HC, but it's been an awful or of smoke and mirrors and I look at marinopolous as perhaps lucky last year and now average.  So it's a four team race in the LL with two bottoms feeders.  Every team is deeply flawed.  We can survive or lose to u/RPI/IC and finish 5-4.  I think we go 1-2 or 2-1 vs the thee contenders. 

But that was a rough defensive showing last night and there's no need to jerk anyone off about it. 

Aguilar is a stud though

Bartman

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 16, 2018, 03:44:37 PM
Sorry dude, I'm gonna go ahead and be busy losing my bet to Bartman the rest of the afternoon while you sing kumbaya with everyone else. I'll address your severe snowflakedness tomorrow.
Baron/Mach(sometimes Snoopy),
          Did I express my desire that you shoot the beers as part of the bet? Anyway, any mention of snowflakes is definitely NOT ok on a football blog unless it has to do with the weather, please refrain from such transgressions.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: pumkinattack on September 16, 2018, 04:06:09 PM
No need to pat Hobart fans on the back we haven't looked good in the last two wins and looked like children against Brockport.  There's a ton of real inside baseball reasons why this season is going the way it is and I've pointed them out it don't care, that's life and next man up.  Even at the increasingly liberal, Oberlin aspiring, Hobart campus.  (The whole story behind the president situation and why cragg isn't currently the AD and Dewall is here plus all sorts of atypical roster stories)

The passing game is better than anyone imagined though I'm not surprised.  Have very strong feelings about Drach (and David) compared with the long run of Yoder and DeWall as ACs in Geneva.  Our WRs are criminally underrated too. 

The defense is a train wreck.  There's talent there.  Recruiting past few years was far too skewed towards skill and lighter semi skill guys and a few injuries and transfers/lacing the program don't help.  But these kids have talent and need to step up.  Not worried about Endicott, Roch & SLUand personally feel like RPI is very overrated.  They have done very well under this HC, but it's been an awful or of smoke and mirrors and I look at marinopolous as perhaps lucky last year and now average.  So it's a four team race in the LL with two bottoms feeders.  Every team is deeply flawed.  We can survive or lose to u/RPI/IC and finish 5-4.  I think we go 1-2 or 2-1 vs the thee contenders. 

But that was a rough defensive showing last night and there's no need to jerk anyone off about it. 

Aguilar is a stud though
+k for analysis and telling it like it is.....I am till optimistic that Hobart will pull it together for the "Big Three"...mainly because I haven't seen enough from them to wave the white flag yet. From what I see SO FAR, no one is so dominant to go undefeated in the LL....it should go to some weird tie breaker for the NCAA berth....IMO....we will see
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Caz Bombers

RPI up 1 spot to #20 after barely surviving Utica

IC enters at #25, yaaaaaaaay

20 points worth of votes for Union, when was the last time they were receiving votes in the poll? 2008 or so?

elsewhere Brockport still #4 and Cortland gets 29 points in the ORV column.

south hill observer

Nice to see Bombers crack the top 25 after another impressive defensive performance. The offense showed signs of life in the 2nd half and I've got to believe when Gladney returns from his injury we should be firing on all cylinders. Truth is that I'm more concerned about Union than RPI or Hobart. I thought RPI was lucky to get out of Utica with a win and as great as Hobart looked and played on Offense their Defense was pathetic. Union had the most complete performance and seems to be flying under the radar with all the RPI/Ithaca talk. Someone should tell Hobart DC that a 2 man rush is for HS 7on7.

UfanBill

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII November 17, 2017, 02:41:43 pm on the East Region Fan Poll page.             

Dlip, good to see you still hanging around. Im not used to getting +karma, I like my karma negative.

Also, we are enemies now as Union is the college that I despise the most in the world. Not enough bad can happen to them after the Audino situation.

BRING BACK AUDINO! BRING BACK FRANK! BRING BACK AUDINO! BRING BACK FRANK!

Hey Mach, remember this?...I sure do !!! I believe that last line is your pearl of wisdom. As a Union fan that called for coach Audino's ouster two years before it happened while you wanted to bring him back. I can assure you that NO "crybaby Union fans" are bemoaning anything. I guess I'm one of your "11.2%". As for "Springfield stinks"...I was at the game and in the first quarter Springfield was out playing a mistake prone Union squad and lead 10-0 when QB Chad Shade was knocked out of the game. Without him they truly did stink and Union scored 45 unanswered points.  The Pride couldn't run the ball and could not cover the Union receivers...maybe because they have no passing game at all (1-9 for 14 yds through 3 games !!!) and have nothing to practice against.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Machiavelli

Quote from: UfanBill on September 17, 2018, 12:26:36 AM
Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII November 17, 2017, 02:41:43 pm on the East Region Fan Poll page.             

Dlip, good to see you still hanging around. Im not used to getting +karma, I like my karma negative.

Also, we are enemies now as Union is the college that I despise the most in the world. Not enough bad can happen to them after the Audino situation.

BRING BACK AUDINO! BRING BACK FRANK! BRING BACK AUDINO! BRING BACK FRANK!

Hey Mach, remember this?...I sure do !!! I believe that last line is your pearl of wisdom. As a Union fan that called for coach Audino's ouster two years before it happened while you wanted to bring him back. I can assure you that NO "crybaby Union fans" are bemoaning anything. I guess I'm one of your "11.2%". As for "Springfield stinks"...I was at the game and in the first quarter Springfield was out playing a mistake prone Union squad and lead 10-0 when QB Chad Shade was knocked out of the game. Without him they truly did stink and Union scored 45 unanswered points.  The Pride couldn't run the ball and could not cover the Union receivers...maybe because they have no passing game at all (1-9 for 14 yds through 3 games !!!) and have nothing to practice against.

Ummmm, Earth to UfanBill. Are you there? Do you read me? Copy. Over?

The banner that you so gracefully pulled from nearly a year ago was a little something called satire. (Here's a link(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire) for you if you need to look it up) The meaning behind that scrolling banner that you so clearly remember me posting(i'll try to explain this as clearly as I can - please read very slowly so you can absorb it all), was that in recent times, when Coach Audino was at the helm, Union sucked horribly. They weren't just bad, they were like Rochester bad. Now they have a new capable coach and they are pretty good. You following so far? Ok, so as someone who wants them to suck, I was chanting around my mom's basement in my underwear asking to have the ol' ball coach reinstated to return Union football back to suck-dom. Unfortunately, my crusade failed miserably, Union has kept the new coach and the program is on the rise. That said, I regret saying to bring back Frank. No one wants Frank back on here.

Ok now, deep breaths. If comprehension isn't a strong suit, just take your time and read through it all again, but slower please.

Machiavelli

Quote from: Bartman on September 16, 2018, 04:37:27 PM
Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 16, 2018, 03:44:37 PM
Sorry dude, I'm gonna go ahead and be busy losing my bet to Bartman the rest of the afternoon while you sing kumbaya with everyone else. I'll address your severe snowflakedness tomorrow.
Baron/Mach(sometimes Snoopy),
          Did I express my desire that you shoot the beers as part of the bet? Anyway, any mention of snowflakes is definitely NOT ok on a football blog unless it has to do with the weather, please refrain from such transgressions.

Bartman, totally in agreement here. 'Snowflake' in this instance, was not aimed at anything political in nature. I don't do politics. I actually loathe politics. I don't care for the people who over use that term in the political sense, but it is a good term sometimes when peoples' feelings get hurt for reasons unbeknownst to me. But point taken.

In case you were wondering, I fully paid off our wager. It made my morning a little difficult, I won't lie, but a bet is a bet.

Machiavelli

Quote from: Bartman on September 16, 2018, 03:43:55 PM
Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 16, 2018, 03:17:31 PM
Sooooo, you completely agree with me?

-Signed - Keyboard Tough Guy

P.S - if you're just mad because I'm not trying to be happy for Union or stroke the Hobart guys backs over a tough day, you're clearly just way 'nicer' than me.
So Baron /Snoppy,
          If Springfield sucks so much, why did you pick them to hammer Union?...you were probably fooled like I was with Springfield's decisive win over Western New England. Now we know that Union manhandled Husson while Western New England eeked out a win against them. It is difficult to figure things out early in the season until you get some real info from the competition. Dlip loves  Union but has always been objective about their performance and complementary to others. Bartman wants all posters to get along, but the board needs some friskiness, as Bartman needs to be amused, so Bartman would like Baron/Snoppy engaged without pissing Dlip off......please figure it out ;D

Holy cow, so much to address on this fine morning....

So, obviously I picked Springfield to 'hammer' Union because Union sucks. I thought that was obvious. Clearly Springfield sucks a lot worse. It was a miscalculation, but one i'd take 100 times out of 100. #ScienceIsScience

As far as 'getting along' is concerned... I can't really help if other posters take issue with me, but there is never any serious or negative intent towards anyone personally. I route for 1 particular team. I casually and sarcastically take shots at other programs in good fun. I don't have any interest in trying to 'out' people by using their real names or bringing things up from their personal lives, families, athletic careers etc, etc. That's not cool. I'm here to have a little fun, have some adult sports related conversations(since I'm used to speaking mostly at 3 year old and 5 year old levels) and bust some balls(or whatever) here and there. That is that. I've made some friends here that I actually speak to outside of LLPP, but I don't come here looking for friends either. It's a chat board. It's not Tinder or Grinder or whatever the kids are using these days.

Long story short. I'm cool with (almost)everyone. But as a disclaimer, so we don't run into this again(this is pathetic that it has to be said), when I make negative comments towards a football program, it is not a personal dig towards any LLPP poster, their family, their athletic career, their political leanings, their belongings, their bankroll, their profession, their haircuts, their outfit, their shoes, their love for wine and cheese, or their stupid car stickers. It's about being a football fan, having a little fun, and taking digs at your football rivals.

Ok, my coffee is empty.

Jonny Utah

Ok back to football. 

I coached against Union frosh RB Ike Irabor last year, and I'm glad to see him making an impact for a d3 upstate team right away.  Ithaca's starting kicker is also a frosh from the same HS (Xaverian HS, Westwood, MA). 

Ithaca is at SJF this week.  Still probably too early for me to guess what kind of team SJF has.  They are obviously not the team or program they were 5-10 years ago.  But this is a new year so we don't know what the hell is going to happen.  They lose to W&J in week 1 by a lot.  W&J is also crushing teams Alabama style.  Ithaca's offense is still in preseason mode and their defense is in post season mode.  Should be a good game.

Which brings me to a similar issue.  Springfield has always been a wildcard with that offense.  How many times have we seen them go 10-0 or 9-1 and then get stomped in the playoffs by "the underdog?"  I didn't even know their QB got hurt, but even so, their defense gave up 45 points to a Union team that hasn't done much on offense since 2005.  Looks like their coach is doing the right things there, recruiting Massachusetts is of course always smart, because we all know that we are probably the smartest people on the planet. 

Hobart is going to be on a learning curve with some new coaches and what I assume carries some newer football concepts, but they put up some points their last two games and they might need a year or two to really get back to where they want to be again.  The Hobart/Union game will tell us a lot, and I really thing the LL is up for grabs with 4 teams in contention (Union, Ithaca, RPI, Hobart).  I think if you broke down those top 4 teams Offenses and Defenses, Ithaca's defense is probably #1 by a lot, but after that everyone is probably pretty close.

Watch out for St. Lawrence though.  I wouldn't be suprised it they can beat one of the big 4 this year.  Losing big to Brockport can happen to anyone, don't use that game to judge their program.

Ok snowflakes, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  I'm going to coffee #2 in about 30 minutes.  It looks like I might have some sleuthing to do over on the MAC board.

Oline89

So I am not sure where I stand with Ithaca cracking the top 25.  Not to disparage Ithaca here, I had them top 15 in preseason rankings.  But, in-season ranking after week 3?  A loss is a loss, I am not one that believes in "good losses". Brockport did not take a hit after barely winning against Ithaca (reciprocally , a win is a win!).  Ithaca narrowly beats an un-ranked Alfred team, and Union crushes a ranked Springfield team.  At this point, Ithaca should get some votes, but Union should have cracked the top 25.  Once LL play actually begins, there will be plenty of shuffling, and I hope we will still get 2 teams showing up in top 25 come November.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on September 17, 2018, 08:52:17 AM
So I am not sure where I stand with Ithaca cracking the top 25.  Not to disparage Ithaca here, I had them top 15 in preseason rankings.  But, in-season ranking after week 3?  A loss is a loss, I am not one that believes in "good losses". Brockport did not take a hit after barely winning against Ithaca (reciprocally , a win is a win!).  Ithaca narrowly beats an un-ranked Alfred team, and Union crushes a ranked Springfield team.  At this point, Ithaca should get some votes, but Union should have cracked the top 25.  Once LL play actually begins, there will be plenty of shuffling, and I hope we will still get 2 teams showing up in top 25 come November.

I have few reasons:

-No one has come close to Brockport this year except Ithaca.  And Brockport took out a Hobart team who has looked good after that, and a St. Lawrence team who has done well in their other 2 games as well.

-Ithaca was getting receiving votes before this week, Union wasn't. 

-Alfred was also receiving votes in week 2 (making them a top 30 team). 

-Springfield lost their starting QB (not an excuse for their defense)

-Springfield essentially was ranked #25 in the country, Alfred was #29, Ithaca was #33.  Union was unranked. 

So essentially even though Springfield was "ranked", it was 4 spots over Alfred.  Not that big of a deal.

I would also give IC the not in their OCC being slightly better than Union's. 

Bartman

Mach(alias Baron/Snoopy)
       I noticed you changed back to just Mach, I guess you have temporarily sobered up. I look forward to your picks this week and contributing to your eventual admission to Betty Ford.....it is for your own good, because I care about you.

As far as the state of the LL race....I am totally focused on the Union-Hobart game at the BOZ on  10/6 , everything between now and then is mildly interesting....I will post my picks later, but it all seems like occupying time until the Statesmen and Dutchmen meet and whether the pumpkinheads can avenge the loss from last year.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath