FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 04, 2016, 02:42:32 PM
Aside from Randy Mac and H-SC, are there other strong traditional rivalries in the ODAC for football?

I have not been able to discern them. Thanks

Not really. But the requirement they play the last week means you can only back load so much, especially since H-SC has been the most consistent top dog in the conference for probably 15 years. The rest of the week 11 games seem to be attempts to manufacture rivalries because they seem to stay consistent as far as I can tell. Why W&L/Shenandoah or E&H/Guilford or Bridgewater/Catholic I don't know. I do know that after Catholic leaves next year it will get more complicated.

hasanova

Guilford and E&H is beginning to develop as a rivalry ... for several years, there has been a lot on the line in the last game ... and in 2013, Guilford came from down 31-0 in the 3rd to win 35-31 with less than a minute to go.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 04, 2016, 02:42:32 PM
Aside from Randy Mac and H-SC, are there other strong traditional rivalries in the ODAC for football?

I have not been able to discern them. Thanks
Thanks. +1!

hasanova

Quote from: hasanova on April 02, 2016, 12:01:24 PM
Piecing together Guilford's 2016 football schedule from what's known and some educated guesses:

9/3  Greensboro (Soup Bowl)  7 pm (guess)
9/10 Methodist 7 pm (guess)
9/17 @ Averett 6 pm
9/24 Open (guess)
10/1 CUA 1 pm (guess)
10/8 @ HSC 1 pm
10/15 W&L 1 pm
10/22 @ Shenandoah 1 pm
10/29 Bridgewater 1 pm
11/5 @ RMC 1 pm (guess)
11/12 @ E&H 1 pm

Looks as though some of the dates have been flipped a little in the ODAC schedule:  e.g. CUA and HSC early.  Also seems ODAC views E&H as the traditional season-ending game for the Quakers.
My "guesses" were correct on Guilford's schedule ... more a function of Guilford's predictability than my prescience, I think.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Any thoughts on how your Quakers will be in 2016 or the ODAC in general terms. I would think W&L will be the favorite going into the season but I have no sense as to how the league will look in general terms. I'm not even sure what the Tigers have coming back. Just out of touch for the time being.

JK

You probably have some insight along these lines. I know it is way too early to predict but just wondering, based on returning players, how the league looks. Stands to reason your Generals will be the top dog going into the season, right ?

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 12, 2016, 08:15:50 AM
Hasa

Any thoughts on how your Quakers will be in 2016 or the ODAC in general terms. I would think W&L will be the favorite going into the season but I have no sense as to how the league will look in general terms. I'm not even sure what the Tigers have coming back. Just out of touch for the time being.

JK

You probably have some insight along these lines. I know it is way too early to predict but just wondering, based on returning players, how the league looks. Stands to reason your Generals will be the top dog going into the season, right ?
Quakers lost a lot of talent in QB Pawlowski, WR Smith and K Hunt, but are deeper than past years.  Real key will be who emerges as QB in 2016.  Expect a more run-oriented offense around Bell, but I think passing game will still be above average.  I don't think there will be great drop, but I don't expect 9-1.  Maybe 7-3.  We'll see.  I do expect W&L as pre-season favorite.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 12, 2016, 08:15:50 AM
JK

If they stay healthy W&L brings back a lot of offense (almost every yard gained from scrimmage) and a decent portion of the defense. Need to replace a few lineman on both sides of the ball and a bit more on D, but they have the linemen in the wings. Since W&L is usually one of, if not the, smallest squad in the ODAC, they will need a few first years to step up to fill gaps on D and special teams. But yes, I think the Generals are well positioned and should have a lot of experienced leadership on both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone else will jump them for preseason favorite as I think most other teams will have more question marks in key positions.

In addition, W&L has a slightly more favorable conference schedule this year. E&H, H-SC, Shenandoah and R-MC all at home leaving Bridgewater or Guilford as the toughest away games, just can't see Catholic taking a big step. Bridgewater is always a tough road game for W&L, but I think Guilford has a lot of pieces to replace this year.

The non-conf schedule could be an issue. Opening at JHU is a tough way to build confidence. Ask R-MC. So unlike last year where the patsy all home non-conf really built W&L up, this year the leadership will have to get them going right from the start, or at least help them overcome any confidence issues from opening with JHU and a second road game at Sewanee before facing a strong C-M-S team at home. W&L hasn't won a road opener since the 50s, I believe. JHU is unlikely to make it easy on them.

If W&L clears the non-conf 2-1 with few injuries they will be hard to handle in the ODAC. If they take a beating the depth will be a question.

HSCTiger fan

HSC should be very good. QB and leading WR return.  I've not asked and have not heard anything about situation at RB. Defense returns what I expect to be to best DL since '10.  They lose a couple of DBs but started a couple of freshmen DB last year that will be much more experienced.  I'm very confident that HSC feels they can compete for the ODAC.   I don't see them losing in OOC.  I also don't see the ODAC champ having 3 or more loses in conference play -  so 9-1 or 8-2 is my prediction.   
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

http://www.guilfordquakers.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160412lkgsp9

First Guilford football recruits announced for Class of 2020.  Welcome gentlemen and Go Quakers!

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

Any word on HSC's recruiting class ? I've not heard a word.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 18, 2016, 09:50:12 AM
TigerFan

Any word on HSC's recruiting class ? I've not heard a word.

I've heard just as much as you.  Here's a link to players who say they have committed but nothing official.
https://www.facebook.com/HSCFootballVideos/?ref=settings
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

http://www.guilfordquakers.com/x/yfqo7

Five more Quakers in football class of 2020.  Welcome gentlemen and Go Quakers!

tigerFanAlso2

hasa

Still impressed how GC announces its recruiting class. Well done. This is one area I think HSC needs to improve. Alumni want to know, I get calls all the time asking me about recruiting class and there are no answers. At some point a list of recruits will be shared but includes little more than the name & hs.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 29, 2016, 01:13:18 PM
hasa

Still impressed how GC announces its recruiting class. Well done. This is one area I think HSC needs to improve. Alumni want to know, I get calls all the time asking me about recruiting class and there are no answers. At some point a list of recruits will be shared but includes little more than the name & hs.
Thanks, TFA2.  I think the credit should go squarely with Head Coach Chris Rusiewicz and SID Dave Walters.  I spoke with Coach Rusiewicz at last night's football awards banquet and he said some other commitments are forthcoming this week.  I like it too ... it used to be that I (and other alumni) didn't know who we had until opening day.  Speaking of Coach R, he said Guilford had a waiting list of guys who want to play for the Quakers ... there simply isn't enough room to accommodate all of them!  What a change from the days when Guilford might field a team of 50 to 60.  Along with the whole team, Guilford recognized 18 Seniors last night who've had a huge impact on Quaker football.  Hope we can reload and sustain the progress they made from 0-10 and 2-8 before they arrived to the 28-12 record in their four seasons (5-5, 6-4, 8-2 and 9-1).

tigerFanAlso2

hasa

How many guys does he carry on the team ? We are limited to around 115 due to locker room space which I personally feel is too many. give me 3 deep at each position plus the kickers and lets go to work.