FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk196

acceptance rate (2018) Trinity = 34%....Tufts = 14% (Amherst/Williams same)

ALL great schools, but academically......

More like the Patriot league Bucknell = 30%, Lafayette = 28%, Lehigh = 26%

bantamweight

Quote from: 413Local on May 13, 2019, 04:10:53 PM
While post-college graduation, the discussion of SAT scores may be moot, when discussing reasons why Trinity is able to land recruits that other NESCAC schools cannot, it does seem rather relevant.

Trinity fairs pretty well on the Payscale salary studies. Perhaps their admissions department is more astute at finding students well equipped for success, regardless of a test score?

Trin9-0

Quote from: NBC93 on May 13, 2019, 05:28:20 PM
Concerning admissions at Trinity: I don't think anecdotal tales of individual recruits tilts the scales much for either side. The reality seems to be that each school makes choices from year to year, staff to staff, and administration to administration, that affects the on-field product. Trinity chooses to work within the league rules at one end of the spectrum and the CBB schools operate toward the other.
I'll ad my two cents worth of anecdote, I have first-hand knowledge of a player that was recruited heavily by several NESCAC schools and MIT. He was denied by MIT and a Big-10 school that was not recruiting him for football, but he was accepted to one of the top tier academic schools in the NESCAC.
None of that changes what I believe to be a fact that Trinity has a different model that enables good athletes to play and succeed in a premier academic conference at a great school. Kudos to them for an obviously unpopular practice from competitors' views, but a highly progressive and optimistic academic and athletic undertaking.
P. S. I do not wish ill toward any team or school but I do root heavily against the Trinity football team! Just trying to be objective here, though! :)

Fully agree that anecdotal evidence doesn't begin to tell the tale. Both the college admissions and athletics recruiting processes are extremely complex and often fickle. A student with excellent grades but poor board scores is a better candidate to be accepted at certain schools. Likewise, an athlete may be viewed by some coaching staffs as "tip worthy" but may not be a scheme fit at another program. Perhaps a certain admissions department has already accepted 4 kids from a certain school, or a coaching staff already has 4 quarterbacks on their roster. We'll never know all the ins and outs of how or why these decisions are made.

I've never denied that Trinity has a recruiting advantage, but I don't believe it's as dramatic as may portray it to be, and it's only one of the many reasons for their overwhelming level of success.

Cornell traditionally has had the lowest SAT scores and highest acceptance rate in the Ivy League but have won just one title in the past 30 years.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

GoBlue61

From my perspective (former Bowdoin parent) -- it appears that Trinity's administration, alumni, etc. are committed to having a top football program.  They bring in great players and do a great job coaching and supporting them academically, helping with internships, jobs, etc.  I give them credit for running a successful program within the league rules.  Over my four years following the NESCAC, I heard all the anecdotal stories about players who wanted to go to Bowdoin to play football, but could not get in.  Some of it is probably true, but the bottom line is...if you are going to field a team and want to compete with the top teams in the NESCAC , then do what is required to be successful.  Otherwise, don't bother fielding a team or just stop complaining about it.

polbear73

Quote from: GoBlue61 on May 15, 2019, 08:09:49 PM
From my perspective (former Bowdoin parent) -- it appears that Trinity's administration, alumni, etc. are committed to having a top football program.  They bring in great players and do a great job coaching and supporting them academically, helping with internships, jobs, etc.  I give them credit for running a successful program within the league rules.  Over my four years following the NESCAC, I heard all the anecdotal stories about players who wanted to go to Bowdoin to play football, but could not get in.  Some of it is probably true, but the bottom line is...if you are going to field a team and want to compete with the top teams in the NESCAC , then do what is required to be successful.  Otherwise, don't bother fielding a team or just stop complaining about it.
Agreed. Schools of NESCAC caliber should aim for excellence in every endeavor.  They do in their academic programs, athletics should be no different. 

JEFFFAN

Quote from: GoBlue61 on May 15, 2019, 08:09:49 PM

They are committed and they do a great job, top to bottom.  No one is arguing to the contrary.   But it is disingenuous to think that having a significantly larger talent pool to pick from isn't the primary factor in creating that edge over the other equally committed programs.

lumbercat

Quote from: JEFFFAN on May 16, 2019, 04:55:23 PM

They are committed and they do a great job, top to bottom.  No one is arguing to the contrary.   But it is disingenuous to think that having a significantly larger talent pool to pick from isn't the primary factor in creating that edge over the other equally committed programs.

The key words here are "equally committed programs".......The Trinity program has a much higher commitment to winning Football than any other program in the NESCAC (though Tufts is getting close)......so we need to dispense with the term "equally committed", thats the whole point.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: lumbercat on May 16, 2019, 11:45:53 PM
Quote from: JEFFFAN on May 16, 2019, 04:55:23 PM

The key words here are "equally committed programs".......The Trinity program has a much higher commitment to winning Football than any other program in the NESCAC (though Tufts is getting close)......so we need to dispense with the term "equally committed", thats the whole point.

I assume that this is a "tongue in cheek" comment.   Anyone who doesn't think that Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan and other programs are not as committed as Trinity to football don't follow NESCAC football very closely.   I believe that some of the Maine schools have struggled with said commitment - so maybe you are referring to 1 or 2 of those schools - but the Little Three, for instance, is 100% committed to excellence in football.

lumbercat

Nothing tongue in cheek- take a look at the numbers.

Football expense-2017--
Trinity- 805,751
Williams- 569,327
Amherst- 672,870

Expenditure per player--
Trinity- 2,240
Williams- 1,658
Amherst- 1,496

All these teams are committed to winning but from an institutional perspective Trinity does more in terms of financial commitment and support.

Not to mention the strong commitment from Bantam Football Alums which further enhances the Trinity program with financial donations that pretty significantly exceed the revenue generated for Football at Williams or Amherst.

Trin9-0

Quote from: lumbercat on May 17, 2019, 11:42:12 AM
Nothing tongue in cheek- take a look at the numbers.

Football expense-2017--
Trinity- 805,751
Williams- 569,327
Amherst- 672,870

Expenditure per player--
Trinity- 2,240
Williams- 1,658
Amherst- 1,496

All these teams are committed to winning but from an institutional perspective Trinity does more in terms of financial commitment and support.

Not to mention the strong commitment from Bantam Football Alums which further enhances the Trinity program with financial donations that pretty significantly exceed the revenue generated for Football at Williams or Amherst.

I'm very curious as to where this data is coming from and have questions about the validity. Are you willing to share your source?

Regarding philanthropic support from alumni, given the recent football stadium projects at both Williams and Amherst, I'd have to imagine that donations to those programs FAR outpace what Trinity is raising from it's football alumni. With that said, a renovation to Jessee/Miller Field is on the horizon and a major fundraising push is likely already underway.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Hawk196

That "stadium" at Williams is a mere drop in the bucket with that $3bil+ endowment

lumbercat

Here are the revenues of the 3 football programs. These figures are about 9 months old and cover the 2017 year. The Stadium projects at Williams and Amherst were completed prior to 2017. Surely the numbers may look different in years where a school has a special fundraising comapaign for a large  project like a new stadium. These numbers are for 2017 which was a normal year with no large special projects.

Trinity- 1,073,357
Williams- 538,455
Amherst- 784,821

Talk about commitment! None better than the Trinity Football alums. Another area of their football program that does more. Those at mighty Amherst and Williams not even close.

bhm390

NESCAC football fans-

I am a current student at a NESCAC school and a longtime football follower. I do not play on my school's team, but I am posting to inquire about any possible opportunities to do game writeups, previews, blog posts, player profiles, or any other sort of game-related writing for NESCAC football teams. I am not asking to be paid, but I would like to get some writing-related experience on my resume before I apply for internships next summer. I have followed NESCAC football since entering college, and I know that football would be something I would be able to write passionately about. If anyone knows of a website, blog or newspaper that I could write for, please let me know. I am most familiar with NESCAC football, but I would also be open to writing about other sports (baseball, basketball, golf, etc) if the opportunity arises. I could provide a writing sample if necessary. Thank you!

Vandy74

Quote from: bhm390 on May 17, 2019, 05:47:39 PM
NESCAC football fans-

I am a current student at a NESCAC school and a longtime football follower. I do not play on my school's team, but I am posting to inquire about any possible opportunities to do game writeups, previews, blog posts, player profiles, or any other sort of game-related writing for NESCAC football teams. I am not asking to be paid, but I would like to get some writing-related experience on my resume before I apply for internships next summer. I have followed NESCAC football since entering college, and I know that football would be something I would be able to write passionately about. If anyone knows of a website, blog or newspaper that I could write for, please let me know. I am most familiar with NESCAC football, but I would also be open to writing about other sports (baseball, basketball, golf, etc) if the opportunity arises. I could provide a writing sample if necessary. Thank you!

Try this link.   nothingbutnescac.com   I know they do a good job with football and basketball.

lumbercat

Good advice from Vandy 74 and I'm sure they will welcome another correspondent. Good Luck BHM.