Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg04

Quote from: K-Mack on November 14, 2012, 08:34:00 PM
Okay, this D-I talk stops here.

OK, thanks, ruler of the universe.  :P

Mr. Ypsi

Two other breakthrough seasons in the North after many years of mediocrity (or worse): OWU and Elmhurst.  Probably not AS dramatic as Heidelberg, but worth noting.

You might also discuss the 'upset of the year'.  In retrospect it may not have been Buff St. over UWW, after all, but either UWSP over UWW or Oberlin over Wabash.

One final d1 note in response to Ralph's note about Arkansas and the Big 12 and SEC: I have read that Nebraska's switch from the Big 12 to the Big 10 LOWERED the average freshman scores in both conferences! ;D  (I can't confirm whether that is actually true, or just Big 10 arrogance. ;))

K-Mack

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

SUADC

Loved the team-by-team capsules. Keith, are you planning to make the trip to Salisbury this weekend?

jknezek

Just an FYI, but W&L is 0-2 in NCAA playoffs. You have them listed as 0-1 (2006), but you left off their admittedly forgettable defeat to TMC in 2010...

art76

Updated year in review brainstorm. Still open to suggestions

- Sam Durley 736 passing yards
- Baldwin-Wallace suspension
- SRSU vs. TLU (and all the scoring in ASC)
- Craziest Pool C ever
- Bethel-Concordia ending
- Dutchman Shoes & Cortaca Jug endings
- UW-W going 7-3 after 3 straight titles and 7 Stagg Bowls in a row
- a list of single plays that shaped the playoff hopes of this crazy pool C
- What appeared to be a deep Pool B cannibalizing itself and how that happened.
- Most unlikely Pool A teams (not really that original)
- All the Gagliardi drama, is this or isn't this his last season, should he retire, etc.
- Team with high expectations most undone by injuries (e.g. IWU), team that overcame the most injuries to keep competing (e.g. UST, et al.) including the details of who got hurt, how and for how long
- How about the amazing turn around of Heidelberg under Mike Hallett?  From 36 game losing streak to first ever playoff berth in just a handful of years.
- And it took a blocked Baldwin Wallace FG attempt in the final seconds for H'Berg to survive week 10.

- Tim McNerney. (Also Bates player) ... W&J making playoffs.
- James Clay 2,000 rushing yards
- Wesley's insane schedule (also NWC, MIAC teams)

Thanks to FCGrizzliesGrad, USee, Hazzben, HSCoach for their contributions so far.

Not sure where this would fit in, but maybe use the conference vs. non-conference record to show how you guys justify strong conferences and not so strong conferences. For example the MIAC was 16 and 2 in the regular season this year (including an NAIA loss by Gustavus to Valley City State), or 16 and 1 using only NCAA teams as opponents. Some research would need to be done and analysed to see how the 24 conferences did against one another.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

Ralph Turner

Quote from: art76 on November 15, 2012, 01:18:40 PM

Updated year in review brainstorm. Still open to suggestions

- Sam Durley 736 passing yards
- Baldwin-Wallace suspension
- SRSU vs. TLU (and all the scoring in ASC)
- Craziest Pool C ever
- Bethel-Concordia ending
- Dutchman Shoes & Cortaca Jug endings
- UW-W going 7-3 after 3 straight titles and 7 Stagg Bowls in a row
- a list of single plays that shaped the playoff hopes of this crazy pool C
- What appeared to be a deep Pool B cannibalizing itself and how that happened.
- Most unlikely Pool A teams (not really that original)
- All the Gagliardi drama, is this or isn't this his last season, should he retire, etc.
- Team with high expectations most undone by injuries (e.g. IWU), team that overcame the most injuries to keep competing (e.g. UST, et al.) including the details of who got hurt, how and for how long
- How about the amazing turn around of Heidelberg under Mike Hallett?  From 36 game losing streak to first ever playoff berth in just a handful of years.
- And it took a blocked Baldwin Wallace FG attempt in the final seconds for H'Berg to survive week 10.

- Tim McNerney. (Also Bates player) ... W&J making playoffs.
- James Clay 2,000 rushing yards
- Wesley's insane schedule (also NWC, MIAC teams)

Thanks to FCGrizzliesGrad, USee, Hazzben, HSCoach for their contributions so far.

Not sure where this would fit in, but maybe use the conference vs. non-conference record to show how you guys justify strong conferences and not so strong conferences. For example the MIAC was 16 and 2 in the regular season this year (including an NAIA loss by Gustavus to Valley City State), or 16 and 1 using only NCAA teams as opponents. Some research would need to be done and analysed to see how the 24 conferences did against one another.
Not to dispute that the MIAC was a strong conference this year (and usually always a Top 7 conference) but having the UMAC and the NATHC and Macalester to boost the non-conference record is always helpful.

hazzben

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 15, 2012, 07:29:15 PM
Not to dispute that the MIAC was a strong conference this year (and usually always a Top 7 conference) but having the UMAC and the NATHC and Macalester to boost the non-conference record is always helpful.

WIAC:3
IIAC: 6
UMAC:2
MWC: 1
NATHC:1
NCAC: 1
Mac: 3
NAIA: 2

Keep in mind, 2 of the 3 teams to play Mac were a combined 4 wins and are historic rivals of Mac. And 1 UMAC and the NATHC team were both 2nd or better in their crappy conferences.

It's not a ridiculous non-con slate, but it's not the utter patsies like your post implied either. Given our proximity to the WIAC, UMAC, MWC, IIAC and Mac, this makes pretty good sense.

TheOsprey

Keith--  Rowan fans can take the Walt Whitman, however, the Commodore Barry might be a shorter trek!! ;)  Thanks for the support!! Go Profs!! 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hazzben on November 15, 2012, 08:51:53 PM

Keep in mind, 2 of the 3 teams to play Mac were a combined 4 wins and are historic rivals of Mac. And 1 UMAC and the NATHC team were both 2nd or better in their crappy conferences.

It's not a ridiculous non-con slate, but it's not the utter patsies like your post implied either. Given our proximity to the WIAC, UMAC, MWC, IIAC and Mac, this makes pretty good sense.
Thanks for the excellent response. The good thing about playing the best of the worst is that it helps the SOS.  The other advantage is that you have 5 conferences and an independent that help broaden your "universe of schools" as the MIAC strengthens SOS.

The NWC, the SCIAC and the ASC are on such small islands that the "universe" of opponents from which one gets the SOS is only about 15 schools. The MIAC's universe is about 40 other schools.

HScoach

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 16, 2012, 12:35:16 AM
Quote from: hazzben on November 15, 2012, 08:51:53 PM

Thanks for the excellent response. The good thing about playing the best of the worst is that it helps the SOS.  The other advantage is that you have 5 conferences and an independent that help broaden your "universe of schools" as the MIAC strengthens SOS.

The NWC, the SCIAC and the ASC are on such small islands that the "universe" of opponents from which one gets the SOS is only about 15 schools. The MIAC's universe is about 40 other schools.

Very true.  Which is why I don't think the pure SoS numbers are the most important factor in ranking/selecting/seeding the teams.  An outlier very high or low is telling, but looking only at SoS alone is flawed for the very reason you mentioned above. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the OAC where we play 9 conference games so there is little opportunity to build a resume and the WIAC where they end up playing themselves multiple times just to fill the schedule.  Looking at SoS numbers in both of those conferences is almost worthless. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

K-Mack

Quote from: TheOsprey on November 15, 2012, 11:27:10 PM
Keith--  Rowan fans can take the Walt Whitman, however, the Commodore Barry might be a shorter trek!! ;)  Thanks for the support!! Go Profs!!

I thought about that, but down on 322 is not my hood. I'm from the Black Horse Pike man ... Once you start talking Commodore Barry, Tacony-Palmyra and Betsy Ross, I get a little lost lol

(kidding. The other two are north, right? T-P is at the end of 70 or whatever in Pennsauken, right?)

Anyway I'll take note for future reference. Appreciate it.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: SUADC on November 15, 2012, 08:28:30 AM
Loved the team-by-team capsules. Keith, are you planning to make the trip to Salisbury this weekend

No can do. I got the 12-8 shift at the Post, which is random and abnormal, but also means I'll have two screens going on D-III games while I monitor the Terps and occasionally update the WP site. :D

I am thrilled that Salisbury, Hopkins, Wesley, Rowan and Widener all made it. I should definitely be at a game somewhere in Round 2. And monitoring 10 of 16 Round 1 games via video, while it will never replace being there, is not a bad consolation.

Someday I will have no "other job" and kids who are too busy to need Dad on the weekends, and I will go to the best game each round, and die a happy man.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

pumkinattack

KMack, great job with the playoff piece.  One point of clarification on the pool C's though is that the LL has gotten at least 3 pool C bids in the conference era 2004 and beyond.  Hobart actually was a pool C in 2005-2007, not just 2006.  Union was the AQ in 2005 & 2006 and RPI in 2007, but Bart only had the one loss each of those years and was in.  Beat Cortland at home in 2005, then lost to Del Val and lost at SJF in 2007.  Great work though. 

You should be watching the Hobart game tomorrow though.  My question is, do you root for the conference team, or root against the team that beat your team? 

Ralph Turner

Root for the conference... every time!