FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanHouse

I think it's Jordan Langs if he wants it. I don't however think he leaves IWU.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: BigRedScots on December 10, 2019, 02:44:59 PM

Agree it's Langs if he wants it 100%.   I don't think Langs will be at Indiana Wesleyan long.   He has done a pretty amazing job there and has potential to be a D1 coach someday (or the Wheaton job for life).  He reminds me of a less over-the-top version of PJ Fleck. 

I'd be shocked if the job doesn't end up going to a former Wheaton player.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: izzy stradlin on December 10, 2019, 03:02:30 PM

Agree it's Langs if he wants it 100%.   I don't think Langs will be at Indiana Wesleyan long.   He has done a pretty amazing job there and has potential to be a D1 coach someday (or the Wheaton job for life).  He reminds me of a less over-the-top version of PJ Fleck. 

I'd be shocked if the job doesn't end up going to a former Wheaton player.

How about Steve Ryan?  He's done an incredible job at Morningside.  I guess Wheaton has a lot of great candidates.  Congrats to Coach Swider!  He's been an amazing coach and has touched many lives throughout his tenure at Wheaton and has been a great representative of the CCIW. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

SpartanHouse

Another good candidate. WOW-didn't realize there were so many Wheaton grads out there coaching.

My interactions w Wheaton football alumni have always left me very impressed. Swider sure left a mark on his players.

shepherd

He is one of the most talented coaches to come out of Wheaton.  His dad was a HS coach and what he did with Indiana Wesleyan was amazing.  He had his team playing beyond their physical abilities.  All year when they got behind they came back every time.  It was unbelievable to watch.  They were ranked in the top 25 for one week.  They played 4 ranked teams #'s 4,14,2,12 beating number 14 and having a lead on two others.  He comes from a father who is a HS coach in Michigan and came to Wheaton with a high football IQ.  I predict he will win multiple national championships if he stays in NAIA or comes to D3.  He is just that good.

Li'l Giant

Congratulations to Coach Swider on his retirement. I've always had tremendous respect for him and for Wheaton's program. Best wishes to him and to Wheaton in their coaching search.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Mugsy

Quote from: mdrem7 on December 10, 2019, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: BigRedScots on December 10, 2019, 01:15:23 PM
Who will his replacement be? Jesse Scott? Would think Don Beebe down the street in Aurora would be considered.

Rod Sandberg at Whitworth has a lot of ties to Wheaton. I'd think Jesse Scott gets it, however.

Steve Ryan has led Morningside University for 17 years.

QuoteSteve Ryan has guided the Mustangs to a 170-40 record for a .809 winning percentage in 17 seasons for the most football coaching victories and the highest victory rate in Morningside history. Ryan has led the Mustangs to 15 consecutive post-season appearances in the NAIA National Championship Series, where the team has advanced to at least the semifinals six times in the last seven years. He has led the Mustangs to nine Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) championships, including their current run of eight consecutive league titles.

He led them to a NAIA national championship last year, and they are in the championship game again this year - I believe sitting on 29 wins in a row.  I'm sure he is very happy there, but obviously another very, very strong candidate if he so chose.

Just posted today:
https://www.msidemustangs.com/article/football/ryan-earns-regional-afca-honor

Ack... didn't see CardinalAlum's post before I submitted this.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

Swider coaching tree is broad from D3 staffs.

Neal Neathery:
QuoteEntering his fourth year at EMU is Neal Neathery, who came to Ypsilanti after spending six years at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). Neathery serves as the team's defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, while adding the title of assistant head coach prior to the 2018 season.

A coaching veteran of more than two decades, Neathery reunited in 2016 with Creighton after working together for 13 seasons compiling six conference championships and a 109-21 (.838) record between stops at Drake University, Wabash (Ind.) College and Ottawa (Kan.) University. Named the 2007 American Football Coaches Association NCAA Division III Assistant Coach of the Year, he has been the defensive coordinator at each of his five previous coaching stops.

Obviously becoming Assistant Head Coach at EMU, it is not likely he'd be moving into D3.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

This announcement kinda puts into perspective Coach Swider's clear disappointment during the SJU post game interview. 

Put yourself in his shoes... After 35 years your very talented team is clearly in the best position it has ever been in towards a goal you've focused on for over 3 decades.  Finally in a position to have home games through at least the semis without having to go through Mount Union or UWW in a 2nd round game.  Then a loss to a very talented SJU team in such a heart breaking fashion.

That said, Coach Swider constantly preached living with "no regrets."  I have many life lessons I can directly attribute to my time as a player and a coach at Wheaton College.  His impact is significant to the players he has led, WAY BEYOND just wins and loses.  Great coach, great man.  Congrats Coach on an outstanding career and all the best in your retirement.

thunderdog

A glimpse of Mike Swider:

Fall 1997. I was DC for a HS that had a questionable commitment to its football program (it would go on to scrap it's football program within 4 years). We were playing a team that ran the Augie version of the WingT. Meanwhile, Wheaton was enduring an unexpected 4-5 season, the only losing season in Swider's tenure. I called Swider to ask if he might be able to help me out in defending the WingT. He spent over an hour with me going thru all 11 positions... what their reads were, what their responsibilities were... it was a Sunday. Swider had his own game to prepare for on top of spending time with his family. We won that game. It's the only playoff win in the history of that program. We had no business winning that game if not for the defensive scheme.

Mike Swider ALWAYS made time for his players, past & present...

Spring 2015. I took one of my coaching buddies (from above) to the Wheaton campus while he was visiting from out of town. We're outside the gym, just below the coaches office, when Swider busts thru the door, clearly on his way to a prior engagement. He sees us, greets us with a massive smile, 10 minutes later he says, "let's go chat in my office." We're up there for at least an hour. My buddy's on the edge of his seat. Swider's doing his thing. I felt like it was of 1993 when I met Swider for the first time on my recruiting trip. His passion for people, for Jesus, for Wheaton football was infectious. His ability to motivate was 2nd to none.

Mike Swider ALWAYS made time for his players, past & present...

It's truly difficult to imagine the Wheaton program without Mike Swider, but there are some fine men & women searching for the right man to continue the legacy that JR Bishop & Mike Swider started.

#onceawheatonfootballplayeralwaysawheatonfootballplayer

USee

Great stuff Thunderdog.

I was reminded that several of the senior Wheaton players have fifth year possibilities. Among them are:

Dallas McCrae, DPOY
Daniel Herber, LB
Spencer Rowland, CB
Jake Hibben, C
Adam Terrini, WR
Spencer Peterson, QB/WR

If all those guys return, Wheaton will return 8 starters on defense and 7 on offense.

79jaybird

Thunderdog- I know what you mean.  Even as a outsider (EC alum writing for the CCIW paper) he always said,  "I hate emails,,  come to my office and we'll talk about whatever you want to discuss".   

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

sjujohnnie

Any idea what the time frame is for Wheaton to announce a replacement? For anyone with any insight, what draw would there be for Ryan to leave Morningside besides Wheaton being his alma mater?

izzy stradlin

I think there is also a good chance they already have the next coach selected.  JR Bishop stepped down in his late 50's (easily could have kept the head job longer) to give way to Mike Swider who had already been earmarked for the job.  Swider could clearly keep the job for another 5+ years if he wanted but seems like he wants to do what's best for the program and I'm guessing he (and admin) has the next person in mind.     

mdrem7

Quote from: USee on December 11, 2019, 12:02:34 AM
Great stuff Thunderdog.

I was reminded that several of the senior Wheaton players have fifth year possibilities. Among them are:

Dallas McCrae, DPOY
Daniel Herber, LB
Spencer Rowland, CB
Jake Hibben, C
Adam Terrini, WR
Spencer Peterson, QB/WR

If all those guys return, Wheaton will return 8 starters on defense and 7 on offense.

Sounds like all but one will be back.