WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: True To The Cru on February 28, 2022, 06:08:40 PM
UMHB will face Webster, ETBU will face Rhodes and HSU battles Trinity in the first round. Really impressive that the ASC got 3 teams in this year. I don't believe that has ever happened.

https://truetothecru.com/2022/02/28/umhb-womens-basketball-receives-at-large-bid-will-face-webster-in-first-round-of-ncaa-tournament/
Yes, back in the day.
I believe that it was 2004 that McMurry hosted HPU, HSU and Trinity TX.

Riley Zayas

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2022, 11:49:57 PM
UMHB will face Webster, ETBU will face Rhodes and HSU battles Trinity in the first round. Really impressive that the ASC got 3 teams in this year. I don't believe that has ever happened.

https://truetothecru.com/2022/02/28/umhb-womens-basketball-receives-at-large-bid-will-face-webster-in-first-round-of-ncaa-tournament/
Yes, back in the day.

Oh ok. I was wondering if it was one of those years that HPU made the tournament. If that was the way it was done this year, UMHB, ETBU, HSU and Trinity would've all been in the same pod. Good to see they spread them out to different areas of the bracket, putting HSU and Trinity on one side, and UMHB and ETBU on the other.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: True To The Cru on March 01, 2022, 11:57:04 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2022, 11:49:57 PM

Yes, back in the day.

Oh ok. I was wondering if it was one of those years that HPU made the tournament. If that was the way it was done this year, UMHB, ETBU, HSU and Trinity would've all been in the same pod. Good to see they spread them out to different areas of the bracket, putting HSU and Trinity on one side, and UMHB and ETBU on the other.
+1!

Yes, it is almost worth going on the road to get out of the ASC for the post-season.  It would be nice to have 2 teams in the final 16.

Ralph Turner

In 2008, McMurry hosted and beat Trinity TX (the SCAC champion) in the 1st round of a 3-team bracket.  HPU beat McMurry in the "Mausoleum" in the 2nd round.

https://www.d3hoops.com/teams/Howard_Payne/Women/2007-08/index.

McMurry went 25-5 that year. They beat St Thomas MN (which made the playoffs from the MIAC), and USA South Champion and Pool A winner Greensboro. They lost to Birmingham-Southern which still had scholarship players and was transitioning from D-1. The other 4 losses were to HPU, the undefeated national champion.

McMurry finished #11 in the final poll, 1 vote behind #10 Simpson.

Sam Nichols had some very strong McMurry teams in the late 1990's and 2000's.

The ASC also had great coaches with Julie Goodenough at HSU and Chris Kielsmeier at HPU.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/previous

Kelly Boggs

UMHB defeated ETBU tonight. The scoreboard is incorrect. The score should be reversed.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

Riley Zayas

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on March 05, 2022, 08:32:54 PM
UMHB defeated ETBU tonight. The scoreboard is incorrect. The score should be reversed.

Yep, big win for the Cru. Dominated in just about every aspect of the game, especially in the second half. Final was UMHB, 75, ETBU, 57, not the other way around  ;)
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

Riley Zayas

UMHB heads to the Sweet 16 for the third straight year that the NCAA Tournament has been held. The Cru will be joined by Transylvania, Trine and Springfield in Lexington tomorrow. Here's all you need to know about all 4 teams in the Lexington sectional pod:

https://truetothecru.com/2022/03/10/ncaa-tournament-preview-umhb-womens-basketball-battles-transylvania-trine-faces-springfield-in-third-round/

Ron Boerger

Tough loss for the young UMHB team last night as they fell on what was basically a buzzer-beater (scored with 0.1 sec left) to #16/#20 Puget Sound in San Antonio last night, 59-58.  UPS inbounded with under 20 seconds left, took an early shot which was blocked, but the shooter was able to rebound and the ball was eventually passed around until they found an open player above the top of the key who drove the lane for an open floater from about ten feet out that hit nothing but net. 

The Cru women shot much better (40%, 44% from deep) than the previous night (27%/27%) but basically lost the game at the free throw line, missing 11 of their 21 attempts.  But this is going to be such a fun team to watch as they gain more experience. 

[edit:  rankings]

Riley Zayas

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 21, 2022, 09:11:38 AM
Tough loss for the young UMHB team last night as they fell on what was basically a buzzer-beater (scored with 0.1 sec left) to #15/#12 Puget Sound in San Antonio last night, 59-58.  UPS inbounded with under 20 seconds left, took an early shot which was blocked, but the shooter was able to rebound and the ball was eventually passed around until they found an open player above the top of the key who drove the lane for an open floater from about ten feet out that hit nothing but net. 

The Cru women shot much better (40%, 44% from deep) than the previous night (27%/27%) but basically lost the game at the free throw line, missing 11 of their 21 attempts.  But this is going to be such a fun team to watch as they gain more experience.

Talking with Morefield last night, he brought up the FT shooting multiple times. This is a young team. 8 of the 13 who played last night are in their first year in the program. This is a difficult point for them, still trying to mesh and playing some really good teams. Unfortunately, it seems that they'll have to either beat UCSC to remain in the Pool C conversation or win the ASC to make the tournament. Though if PS wins the NWC, Trinity wins the SCAC, and HSU/ETBU were to win the ASC, UMHB and UCSC would probably be first in line for Pool C bids out of R10 (maybe Whitman too). So maybe there is a path via Pool C even if they were to lose to UCSC and lose the ASC championship game. We shall see. But I will say, this is a talented team. Once they put it together, they'll be hard to beat.

Riley Zayas

HSU really played well down the stretch and pulled out an 87-78 win over UMHB in Belton last night. Top 25 WBB matchup did not disappoint. The major takeaway from a UMHB perspective was a lack of defensive effort which allowed HSU to stay in front as the Cowgirls really did a nice job getting to the rim and getting fouled. My full "3 takeaways" article is below...

https://truetothecru.com/2023/01/12/3-takeaways-no-20-umhb-womens-basketball-falls-87-78-to-no-16-hardin-simmons/

Riley Zayas

Can confirm the news is true...this from a few hrs ago. Completely unexpected to those of us who cover this program and university on a daily basis.
https://truetothecru.com/2023/01/24/mark-morefield-no-longer-head-coach-of-umhb-womens-basketball/

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: True To The Cru/Riley Zayas on January 24, 2023, 08:00:18 PM
Can confirm the news is true...this from a few hrs ago. Completely unexpected to those of us who cover this program and university on a daily basis.
https://truetothecru.com/2023/01/24/mark-morefield-no-longer-head-coach-of-umhb-womens-basketball/

DCTB speculates an outburst after a practice injury in November (where Morefield [edit: allegedly] used profanity) contributed to this, but if coaches were fired every time they cursed there'd be a whole lot more turnover than there already is.  There have been some "it's about time" tweets by people (whose connection to the program isn't clear), so perhaps this was the last straw in a pattern of behavior the school found unacceptable.  We may never know. 

Etchglow

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 25, 2023, 08:34:23 AM
Quote from: True To The Cru/Riley Zayas on January 24, 2023, 08:00:18 PM

DCTB speculates an outburst after a practice injury in November (where Morefield [edit: allegedly] used profanity) contributed to this, but if coaches were fired every time they cursed there'd be a whole lot more turnover than there already is.  There have been some "it's about time" tweets by people (whose connection to the program isn't clear), so perhaps this was the last straw in a pattern of behavior the school found unacceptable.  We may never know.

The person on twitter stating "its about time" is the mother of a player who appeared on the roster for UMHB in 2020-2021 as a freshman.  She played zero minutes that year and has not been on the roster since then and appears to have left UMHB.